Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 508 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would have to be disappointed if Italy doesnt have 4 teams in the CL from here. Slavia Prague is tricky, but Fiorentina have to be happy with the draw, whie Juve's is literally a piece of cake. Napoli have a good draw to qualify for the UEFA Cup too.

·
Registered
32,718 Posts
Napoli will need a further round to make it to the group stage of the UEFA Cup, though.

As will Udinese, Samp and the Grande Milan, obviously.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Napoli and Juve should have an easy time of it. Fiorentina will most likely get through though Slavia did play in the group stages last year. I think Serie A will give a much better represetation in the UEFA Cup this year. I'm still out on the CL. We should have four teams in the group stage but I don't know if more than two of them will make it out. It is certainly possible, but by no means a guarantee.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It's possible to have a group consisting of Inter, Roma, Juve, and Fio all together.

On the other hand, none of the EPL teams have a chance of meeting one another during group stages. Looks like Serie A will have it tough this year.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
There is "Country protection" rule, which means no team from the same country can end up in the same group.

·
Registered
23,915 Posts
Milan must be the highest seeded team in the UEFA cup ever. Just one year ago we were seeded highest in europe.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Italian teams in Europe 08/09

Champions League draw for italian clubs:

Group A

Chelsea
Roma
Bordeaux
CRF Cluj

Group B

Inter
Werder Bremen
Panathinaikos
Famagusta

Group F

Lyon
Bayern Munich
Steaua Bucharest
Fiorentina

Group H

Real Madrid
Juventus
Zenit St. Petersburg
BATE Borisov

Fiorentina clearly have a very difficult task. Not only Lyon and Bayern are difficult, but Steaua Bucharest wasnt the other team you would want either. However, they have possibilities, especially if Lyon are not what they were. The other 3 Italian teams should expect to go through, even though Roma and Juve must be wary.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the UEFA Cup draw today: these are the possibilities for the Italian teams

AC Milan can get either: FC Zurich (Sui), FCU Politechnica (Rou), FC Banik Ostrava (Cze), FC Metalist Kharkiv (UKR), Saint Patrick's (Ire)

Sampdoria can get: Vitoria (Por), Wolfsburg (Ger), Kayserispor (Tur), Salzburg (Aut), Kaunas (Ltu)

Napoli can get: Benfica (Por), Everton (Eng), Dinamo Bucharest (Rou), Galatasaray (Tur), Santander (Esp)

Udinese can get: Dortmund (Ger), Wisla Krakow (Rus), FC Moscow (Rus), FC Borac (Srb), MSK Zilina (Svk)

Worst Case scenario:

AC Milan v Banik Ostrava?
Sampdoria v Wolfsburg
Benfica v Napoli
Udinese v Dortmund

Best Case:

AC Milan v St Patricks
Sampdoria v Kaunas
Dinamo Bucharest v Napoli (still difficult)
Udinese v Zilina

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And indeed a tough draw again for the Italian teams, well especially Napoli and Udinese who get Benfica and Dortmund respectively. However Milan and Samp should qualify... I hope Napoli or Udinese can qualify too but it will be difficult.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Juve's got the hardest group IMO. Zenit and Madrid, I hope they can qualify just hoping the CL isn't another all english event.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
Its the q of which Bayern will they face. The bayern that got owned by Zenit, or the Bayern that won the Bundesliga convincingly.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
A
Dont think Roma can stop Chelsea. It will be 2 very hard games against world class quality players. But 2nd should be managed.

B
Only Bremen can give somekind of challenge to Inter

F

I think this one could go all the way till the last match day, to decide which 2 will go through. Right now very hard to predict. I think Bayern are the favorites because of their quality and better bench. Lyon were very bad last year in groupstage but scraped through in the end. Predict Bayern to win the group and Lyon/Viola to battle for the 2nd spot. And Bucharest will steal some vital points from others as well.

H

:mute:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zenit looked good still last night, but lets see if they hold onto Arshavin in the last couple days. I still predict Juve to qualify.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This weeks games:

Roma - Cluj
Panathinaikos - Inter

Lyon - Fiorentina
Juventus - Zenit

AC Milan - Zurich
Dortmund - Udinese
Sampdoria - Kaunas
Napoli - Benfica

Good luck to the teams :thumbsup:

Roma should expect victory. Juventus need victory. Inter want victory and Fiorentina could do with a point.

·
Registered
34,458 Posts
Tuesday
Roma 20:45 CFR
Panathinaikos 20:45 Internazionale

Wednesday
Lyon 20:45 Fiorentina
Juventus 20:45 Zenit

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Apart from Roma the other teams started off the way they wanted in the CL. Fiorentina unlucky not to win, 2 great goals from them, 2 crap ones from Lyon.

1 - 20 of 508 Posts