Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was not watching football when I was young or even early teens and so missed out on seeing a lot of players who were NT or top team players in the 90s (not necessarily legends though). I would like some descriptions of each player. How they played (playmaking? more of a simple finisher? poacher/secondo?), how they compare to current ones (Del Piero, Cassano, Totti, etc), how they rank, etc.

The players I'm referring to are:

Ravanelli
Chiesa
Vialli
Schillaci
Mancini
Di Canio
Zola
Signori

If you could mention others that is okay also. I usually think of all of them as second strikers with not much playmaking conscience but good skills and finishing (more direct players).

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Di Canio?? Shit player, not worthy of mentioning along with the other players. Vieri was good than too.

·
Registered
46,808 Posts
I know them all very well but I don't want to steal the job to pirri. His uncle recorded some thousand games of serie A for him and pirri has spent days watching them while we were watching the crappy football of the new millennium, so he deserves the credit.
And since I mentioned pirri, I must underline that you forgot Pasquale De Vincenzo (or Di Vincenzo... ask him!).

·
Administrator
53,225 Posts
I LOVED the overhead kicks(volleys) of Vialli. He was so crazy about them too, tried to do them whenever he got a chance (atleast for Juve, dont think for his old days in Chelsea), regardless of it was the best course of action or not.

Was his favourite type of way to score hehe, just like how Mancini used to absolutely sick heel kicks.

Only one I havent seen in the above except for highlights is Schilacchi, and not suprising considering he was a one hit wonder even if one was too young when his "glorious" career started and shortly after ended :pp

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
pasquale di vincenzo wasnt a striker...anyhow

di canio was a good player..if anything the odd player out in that list skill wise was schillachi..he was a street fighter of a striker...reaswonable pace very hardworking but he didnt have the technical skills of the others.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
the 2 best players on that list of yours at there peak were signori and chiesa folloerf by zola..in aplayamking sense zola def the best in that list..i liked manicni but much like vialli a bit overrated .

·
Registered
46,808 Posts
Schillaci has been a perfect example of how an average forward can become a hero if he touches the peak of his carreer exactly in the year of the world cup. Infact in 1990 Schillaci could transform shìt in gold. I remember the first goal to Austria. Carnevale had been crap (I have never liked him indeed) and luckily Vicini decided to replace him for good, and with Schillaci. A few minutes later Schillaci received a cross and headed in goal. A note: the defenders of Austria were twenty centimetres taller. Height did not matter cause Schillaci in that year, as mentioned, could transform shìt in gold and he was always in the right place in the right moment to do the right thing.
After the world cup he fell back to his average level. He could not score one goal for months and Juventus decided to get rid of him. Inter bought him and could just confirm that Schillaci had completely lost the magic touch (injuries also stopped him).
The greatest quality of Schillaci? The strong will. When he understood that his carreer in Italy was declining he decided to move to Japan to gain the money no one could offer him. I tell you: almost no Italian player would move to a Japanese club and no one would spend so much time there as Schillaci did at Jubilo. Massaro tried too, at S-Pulse, but escaped soon.

·
Registered
17,354 Posts
Hi guys,

I was not watching football when I was young or even early teens and so missed out on seeing a lot of players who were NT or top team players in the 90s (not necessarily legends though). I would like some descriptions of each player. How they played (playmaking? more of a simple finisher? poacher/secondo?), how they compare to current ones (Del Piero, Cassano, Totti, etc), how they rank, etc.

The players I'm referring to are:

Ravanelli
Chiesa
Vialli
Schillaci
Mancini
Di Canio
Zola
Signori

If you could mention others that is okay also. I usually think of all of them as second strikers with not much playmaking conscience but good skills and finishing (more direct players).
I always admired Ravanelli for some reason

not a technically good player but fast and a good finisher

Signori used to give me absolute nightmares as an Inter fan because he was so quick and a ridiculous finisher .. his one-step penalties were always entertaining. Lazio had a tendency, in the mid 90s under Zeman, to absolutely rout teams in the Olimpico by 4 or 5 goals with combinations of Signori Rambaudi Casiraghi and Boksic upfront

Zola was largely reponsible for Inter's diabolical record in the Tardini in the 90s - great dribbler, great passer

Schillaci I only have vague memories of, mainly scoring against Ireland in Italia 90 which was heartbreaking

Used to also like watching Balbo and Fonseca at Roma, particularly with Gianinni's incredible propensity for threading through-balls to them

playing Roma was a truly horrible experience in the mid 90s because a game would seem relatively stable and controlled, then all of a sudden Balbo would be clean-through on goal

·
Administrator
53,225 Posts
Pirri, you just CANNOT praise Chiesa in the same sentence you are saying Vialli is overrated, get a ****ing grip man.

Vialli has defenitely shown more and has been more an impact player then Chiesa, who was a quality striker at his height, but mainly a small team one (how is Zola behind him too? He is so superior to Chiesa its not even funny).

And about his astute love and skill for bicycle kick goals, here's a fitting clip:

[tub]cJwIljyiYa0[/tub]

As a little kid, except Baggio insanely toying with everyone, nothing made me jump up as much as Vialli's overhead kicks (guess for Toni too, considering half of the goals were in Samp days).

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
A note: the defenders of Austria were twenty centimetres taller. Height did not matter cause Schillaci in that year, as mentioned, could transform shìt in gold and he was always in the right place in the right moment to do the right thing.
Height did not matter, because Robert Pecl didn't even jump for that cross, if my memory of that childhood nightmare serves me right. ;)

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot Casiraghi and Carnevale.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Which ones liked to play in free roles?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Who was the guy from WC '94 that wore red Diadoro cleats? Short buzzz hair... I felt like he played more than Signori for some reason even though I heard Signori was supposed to be incredible.

·
Registered
46,808 Posts
hahaha, me and my brother used to call him Scottie Pippen cause Pippen wore red sneakers at the time too.

How come Signori didn't play a bigger role that WC? Was he a little bit out of form or what?
The main reason was that Sacchi used him at left midfield in the 4-4-2. Just a fool would put a forward who score 20-30 goals every season at midfield, but Sacchi had ups and downs and the position of Signori on the pitch was surely one of his downs.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Marco Simone was great in 94-95 for Milan. Massaro was the one nil man in 93-94. Del Vecchio was a work horse, Mancini & Montella were a great double act. Signori imo was the best forward of the 90's. Others had more grace, but in terms of finishing those size 5's were dynamite.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts