Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Also in UEFA Italy has 3 teams in last 16.

Anyway I think Italy is one of the two strongest leagues in the world. I am not sure of the order as I dont like to compare so much anymore.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
It goes in circles these days. Every time a country gets three clubs there they rule, everytime they don't it's a disaster.

EPL, La Liga and Serie A are all pretty even.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
don't forget that England and Spain still has reps that have been from 5th to 8th place in the League all season, so perhaps this is stronger.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
It goes in circles these days. Every time a country gets three clubs there they rule, everytime they don't it's a disaster.

EPL, La Liga and Serie A are all pretty even.
To me its pretty much along these lines really. All these leagues have 3 or 4 teams capable of getting to the QF of the CL. After this all the teams with less money are pretty even and one season they can come 6th and the next 16th...

In the end Serie A is not the strongest league in the world just because we have 3 teams in the QF because its always the same 3 teams. You can argue instead that Inter, Juve and Milan are the strongest teams in Europe.

I will just say that the best league cant be defined. instead its a preference to a football fan. Mine is Serie A then La Liga then EPL, but Im sure this is very much different to other people.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
This is such bullshit. From all accounts.

I remember a few years ago when italy had parma,Lazio etc as topdogs. I also remember that during some of those years, italian teams never went far in CL. Back then everybody said that serie a isn't best cause of that.

Now, italy have had during these last 4 years the most team going further and some clame now that serie a is not as good as it was back then. While back then they claimed it's not good. What's up with that?

Personally, this is what I believe; Serie A was the absolute best league during the years of 90-01,02. Despite not having much succes on the CL the league was the most competetive while PL was a one-team league (man utd) for the most parts. La Liga as usually had their 2 teams and then came Valencia and others for a period. Why did Serie A not have the same impact on CL as before? Well, the answer is very simple really, it's cause their(top3 teams) roster is way better then the rest. Even their bench is better then any starting eleven in the rest of the league. Now they can get wins pretty easy against mid and smallteams, before they wouldn't do that, thus the whole squad would get exhausted and they didn't have such a deep squad as most do now so they had to play the same players (roughly) and they were too tired.

Aaa feck this...the most dissapointing thing though is that PL,serie a, la liga, has it's main stars and the rest is just there for a treat...

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
I will just say that the best league cant be defined. instead its a preference to a football fan. Mine is Serie A then La Liga then EPL, but Im sure this is very much different to other people.
Mine is La Liga > Epl > Serie A at the moment. I feel Serie A still has strong top teams but the lower table teams have gone to crap in recent years.

Still, you could throw a post-it note over the space between them.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I can see your point Rob about Serie A, but then last season Parma finished 17th and got SF of UEFA while this season Udinese are still in UEFA and are 16th. I am not too sure the small teams are so crappy, its just as Valdrin said they seem crappy because we have 3 teams in the league which just totally blow the league away.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
don't forget that England and Spain still has reps that have been from 5th to 8th place in the League all season, so perhaps this is stronger.

No not really... that arsenal is in 5th place doesn't mean that the league is stronger. Arsenal is still a strong team. however, if it was Bolton or anyother side then it would be abit different. Would it matter if Milan were 7th this year and won their CL? No, cause they're still a great side.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Valdrin said:
No not really... that arsenal is in 5th place doesn't mean that the league is stronger. Arsenal is still a strong team. however, if it was Bolton or anyother side then it would be abit different. Would it matter if Milan were 7th this year and won their CL? No, cause they're still a great side.

well Bolton have beaten us twice this year and drawn once, and if Milan were 7th then i wouldn't say they were as strong as they are now.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Deano said:
I can see your point Rob about Serie A, but then last season Parma finished 17th and got SF of UEFA while this season Udinese are still in UEFA and are 16th. I am not too sure the small teams are so crappy, its just as Valdrin said they seem crappy because we have 3 teams in the league which just totally blow the league away.
I don't think the top 3 is clearly better than the top 3 in England is all. I wouldn't say Inter is clearly better than Liverpool for example.

Mid table English and Spanish sides seem able to keep their good players while mid table Italian sides tend to sell theirs to the benches of better teams unfortunately. It's a pity as a Parma fan but beyond the big 3, Roma, Fiorentina, Palermo and Livorno to an extent most teams would fall into that category.

Obviously that has an effect on lower teams. In the 90's that wasn't the case and Serie A was where it's at.

I did used to be a Serie A elitist myself, which people may find hard to believe but the league simply isn't what it used to be. I wouldn't even say it's the best league defensively anymore. To me EPL probably is.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
well Bolton have beaten us twice this year and drawn once, and if Milan were 7th then i wouldn't say they were as strong as they are now.

Ascoli have beaten Milan too, that doesn't say much but that Milan slips against some teams.

Of course they can be 7th and still this strong in CL. It's about priorities.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts