Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick premise: we are not talking about masterpieces.

The first movie I want to talk about and the one which convinced me to start a thread is an old movie (1953), one of those movies most of people ignore exist: gli eroi della domenica (sunday's heroes).
Plot: the "grey hawks" (very likely Alessandria) must face Milan in the last game of the league. Just by winning they can avoid relegation. They rely heavily on their local idol, the aging centerforward Gino Bardi (Raf Vallone, an actor who had also been a serie A football player), but Bardi has a dangerous relationship with a woman...
Cast: some top Italian actors of the time such a very young Marcello Mastroianni, the players of Milan (the Gre-No-Li among the others!), Vittorio Pozzo.
Plus: San Siro, the stands, the pitch... everything looks absolutely real. Among the Italian football movies this is one of the few in which the real players actually play and are not just involved in dumb gags. Watch Gren with the ball between the feet. Wow.
Minus: what was cool/fun to watch in the 50s is not so cool/fun to watch nowadays.

In the pic Gren with Vallone.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
L'allenatore nel pallone (1984)
Director: Sergio Martino
Plot: the coach Oronzo Canà is hired by the freshly promoted club Longobarda. Preventing Longobarda from going back to serie B looks like an impossible mission, even more when the chairman, the commendatore Borlotti, sells the two best players and signs Aristoteles, an unknown Brazilian player Canà found in Brazil with the help of the agents Bergonzoni and Giginho.
Cast: Lino Banfi, probably the biggest "star" of the idiotic Italian comedy of the 70s and 80s, Gigi e Andrea, etc., brief appearances of a lot of journalists, players and coaches of the 80s.
Plus: it's one of the most successful trash movies ever produced in Italy. Probably 99,9999% of Italian football supporters have watched it. The point of view of the coach is the key of the success in "a country with 50 million football coaches". The way the crazy chase for the foreign champion is.
Minus: the quality of everything is abysmal, the gags are moronic.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
There is a sequel to this also I haven't seen it as yet but hopefully will asap:pp.I've watched the first one that many times I love it:pp.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
A Captain's Tale (1982) also contains many references to il calcio and is partly set in Italy, telling the true story of how English amateur club West Auckland won the two Thomas Lipton Cups held in Turin in the early 20th century, which some claim were the original World Cups, including routing the professional Juventus team 6:0 in the final of the second edition.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I remember watching this movie years ago it was about a group of Roma fans going away to play Juve.It was amazing it showed like the real gangs of Italian soccer sort of&the passion they have:).

·
Administrator
52,112 Posts
I think movie you mentionned been linked by Toni in Samp forum, because their current owner is an actor in this old film focused on Roma ultras.

I don't recall what is called, but I recall seeing a mini series or TV movie that's about couple of young friends who try out and sign for Torino of the 40-50s, it was interesting. It wasn't so old either, recent enough.

P. S I Googled and found from 9 years ago called IL grande Torino, not sure if it's that one, but possible.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Yeah it is Ultra, from early 90s and it had Claudio Amendola and Gianmarco Tognazzi, both Romans with Amendola being quite a Roma fan. :)

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not a proper sequel of L'allenatore nel pallone (there will be the sequel of it years later... and will be a failure), but the typical movie which is produced pretty much with the same ingredients: a mediocre team with unknown foreign players, the relegation battle, short appearances of real players, journalists etc. The main character is no more the coach but a player.

Mezzo destro e mezzo sinistro - Due calciatori senza pallone
(1985)
Director: Sergio Martino (same of L'allenatore nel pallone)
Plot: Andrea Margheritoni, an aging forward, comes back to serie A after a spell in the USA (like Chinaglia) and signs for Marchigiana, freshy promoted to serie A. The performances of Andrea are poor because having sex with women is his one worry and he loses the starting spot when the coach Coligno is sacked and replaced by the rigid Argentinian Fulgencio.
Cast: Gigi and Andrea (the football agents in L'allenatore nel pallone, now players), Gianni Ciardo, Leo Gullotta, brief appearances of journalists and players of th 80s.
Plus: ?
Minus: see L'allenatore nel pallone. There is one solid difference between the two. L'allenatore nel pallone was definitely a movie of football, this one is something between a movie about football and the typical commedia sexy of the 80s. This is probably the reason why everyone remembers L'allenatore nel pallone while Mezzo destro mezzo sinistro is often forgotten. More, Gigi and Andrea are definitely weaker than Lino Banfi.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let's go on with trash movies of the 80s. The Paulo-Roberto-Falcao-mania also produced this horrible movie.

Paulo Robero Cotechiño, centravanti di sfondamento (1983)
Plot: the most idiotic ever!
Cast: Alvaro Vitali, one of the most famous actors of the commedia sexy all'italiana (Pierino's movies), Carmen Russo (boobbies), etc., no real players, no real journalists, no real coaches.
Plus: Carmen Russo's boobs.
Minus: everything else.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,851 Posts
Gmar Gavi'a (1991)

A young Israeli soldier, Cohen, is kidnapped by a group of Palestinian fighters who hold him as a hostage during the conflict. The 1982 FIFA World Cup happens to be on during the invasion, and their mutual love of association football (and support for the Italian team), helps break down the barriers of nationalism and the historical baggage that the two bring. A kind of alliance is forged between the two men. Their relationship heads for a tragic ending as the Italian team, along with the goal scoring Paolo Rossi, make their march toward winning the World Cup.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101959/

I've never seen it myself but have heard of it and always wanted to see it...it's hard to find though.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Let's go on with trash movies of the 80s. The Paulo-Roberto-Falcao-mania also produced this horrible movie.

Paulo Robero Cotechiño, centravanti di sfondamento (1983)
Plot: the most idiotic ever!
Cast: Alvaro Vitali, one of the most famous actors of the commedia sexy all'italiana (Pierino's movies), Carmen Russo (boobbies), etc., no real players, no real journalists, no real coaches.
Plus: Carmen Russo's boobs.
Minus: everything else.

I Loved/love Pierino:flirt::pp

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gmar Gavi'a (1991)

A young Israeli soldier, Cohen, is kidnapped by a group of Palestinian fighters who hold him as a hostage during the conflict. The 1982 FIFA World Cup happens to be on during the invasion, and their mutual love of association football (and support for the Italian team), helps break down the barriers of nationalism and the historical baggage that the two bring. A kind of alliance is forged between the two men. Their relationship heads for a tragic ending as the Italian team, along with the goal scoring Paolo Rossi, make their march toward winning the World Cup.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101959/

I've never seen it myself but have heard of it and always wanted to see it...it's hard to find though.
I feel bad for having this movie in the same thread of movies with Banfi, Vitali etc. :embarass:

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
Not a proper sequel of L'allenatore nel pallone (there will be the sequel of it years later... and will be a failure)​

Talk about terry bad and racist.

Anyway sorry to jump ahead, but there's another movie with Vitali(I think). He is a Lazio fan and his father in law & boss is a Roma fan. So during the derby he goes from one curva to the other.​

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Im sure you are talking about:

Il tifoso, l'arbitro e il calciatore (1983)
Plot: it's a movie consisting of two different episodes, one worse than the other. :pp
First episode: a referee (Vitali) thinks his wife (Carmen Russo) betrays him with the center forward of Juventus... but he ignores the player is gay (Juve and gay... more than a cliché) and someone else is plotting.
Second episode: a supporter of Roma (Pippo Franco) pretends he support Lazio to please the boss and future father-in-law.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts