Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is supposed to be mostly about young Italian defenders, it can also be about other defenders that play for small teams or players that have flown underneath the radar and you feel has some talent. I am talking about Franceschini, De Rosa, Innocente etc. I want us to avoid discussion about Materazzi and company if we can as this thread is not about them. A couple of names I expect to be thrown out for young Italian defenders are the likes of Mesto, Piccolo, Pisanu, Montovani, Marzotti (sp?), Barzagli, Bovo, Potenza, Pasquale, Chiellini, Moretti, Zauli, Zaccardo etc. Give your thoughts about these players and the stregths and weaknesses are like are they quick, to slow, bad in the air etc. Talk about a defender you noticed who impressed you stuff like that.

This thread I hope can be an ongoing thing, throughout the season and perhaps maybe even beyond.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Mesto, Good wing back. Alot of energy but Im not sure on his capabilities overall at the moment, but he does have alot of interest from big clubs.

Piccolo, Strong young defender, but first I would like to see him in the first team of a club in A before I can comment on him

Pisano (Cagliari or Samp), Just 18 and very fast. Good future prospect. The Samp one is also quite good prospect, but I like the right back one :lala:

Montovani, Well Arianna can tell you more but h looks quality

Marzoratti, A calm and confident young defender but still too young to say his future.

Barzagli, Played very good in a solid Palermo defence

Bovo, He has impressed with Italian youth teams and even lecce, but for parma he sucks so we will see where he goes.

Potenza, Good defender, I cant say how good he is though.

Pasquale, Not good enough

Chiellini, Class

Moretti, Class

Zauri, Not good enough

Zaccardo, Very good in that Palermo defence also.

For De Rosa, I like him, but he is good in a back 3, maybe a bit slow for an NT back 4. Francheschini likewise, hes alright playing when 7 men are back, but maybe when hes on a team which attacks, his recovery speed is not so great. Falcone deserves the call more than anyone else currently apart from nesta and Cannavaro of course. Against Russia if Lippi calls the experiementals again I would call Barzagli, Falcone and Materazzi

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Montovani, Well Arianna can tell you more but h looks quality
...to me he's a bit overrated...he's in the same level of Mezzano right now...so that's mean, or Mezzano is became a phenomeno...or Mantovani is a normal central defender...
Balzaretti is 100% better...pity that he will never sign for Juve/Milan/Inter( he said he will only if Toro will have finacial problems and need money),so he will never play for the NT and will remain for ever "nobody"...That's so sad,but it's the life

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Arianna said:
Balzaretti is 100% better...pity that he will never sign for Juve/Milan/Inter( he said he will only if Toro will have finacial problems and need money),so he will never play for the NT and will remain for ever "nobody"...That's so sad,but it's the life
Football can't have enough players that think like this one...:star: :thmbup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let's praise Balzaretti when he retires in a Toro shirt.

Everyone can talk the talk, and talking the talk is not the same as commitment.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
To be Honest with ya MingTze, Balzarett has stayed with Torino in serie B for 2 years now with big clubs wanting him. He has already shown his commitment even if he moved on in the summer.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Deano said:
To be Honest with ya MingTze, Balzarett has stayed with Torino in serie B for 2 years now with big clubs wanting him. He has already shown his commitment even if he moved on in the summer.
Balzaretti is a Toro player since he's born btw...:

:shades: in the last number of Alè Toro he said he have bought finally his own home and so he want to stay there until the end:eekani:

...let's hope Toro will never have to sell him... last summer even Juve wanted him:mad: :yuck:

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Chiellini, Barzagli, perhaps Bovo and Moretti aswell. Other then that, I don't rate the rest. Zauli isn't that young either.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nasty Nick that was a typo and since I can't edit it I can't change it Zauri. Maggio I haven't seen much of but I think in a couple of years Italy will have some nice right backs. I would like to see Mesto get a try.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
nasty nick said:
Chiellini, Barzagli, perhaps Bovo and Moretti aswell. Other then that, I don't rate the rest.
I agree...maybe Bonera, but I dont see him being a starter, just more of a sub. Zaccardo is the same in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts