Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atalanta lost a 2:0 lead to draw 2;2 at home to Sarajevo in Sassuolo this evening in the UEL, so they almost certainly need to win the return leg next Thursday in order not to be eliminated in the second qualifying round.

I wonder whether, secretly, they would welcome elimination from the UEL in order to concentrate on Serie A.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Atalanta lost a 2:0 lead to draw 2;2 at home to Sarajevo in Sassuolo this evening in the UEL, so they almost certainly need to win the return leg next Thursday in order not to be eliminated in the second qualifying round.

I wonder whether, secretly, they would welcome elimination from the UEL in order to concentrate on Serie A.
It would be disgraceful indeed. And Atalanta do not look like that kind of club. In July anything can happen to Italian clubs. This is the truth. Sampdoria lost to Vojvodina 4-0 at Turin three years ago and I'm sure they didn't lose that badly on purpose. They even tried to recover in the 2nd leg, but it was a very difficult task and failed.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Atalanta won 8!-nil away from home against Sarajevo.

Amazing result considering the result of the first leg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Atalanta are in the third round of qualifying against Israel competition. If they make it through, it'll be the first time Serie A has had seven teams in European group stages in a while.

Also good news for Roma this round in the UCL. With Basel losing, the giallorossi are assured of being in the second instead of being in the third. That's a huge advantage, especially if Liverpool also make it into the second pot instead of the third. That depends on Fenerbahce taking out Benfica in the upcoming qualifying round. If Benfica does qualify, both Roma and Napoli could find them in their group along with a very good team from pot one.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget the play-off round before the group stage, so Atalanta faces 2 more rounds of qualifying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Atalanta were held at home against Copenhagen, 0-0. They really dominated (outshot the danes like 18-1), but couldn't score. Luckily this week they won't have to play monday and then Thursday as they travel up north. I still like their chances to advance and join Lazio and Milan in the group stage of the EL.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
While we are waiting for Atalanta to win at Copenhagen, not a good start of the CL draw for the Italian clubs: Utd for Juventus, Real Madrid for Roma and Paris SG for Napoli. Good for Inter instead, who will avoid all these opponents.

·
Registered
859 Posts
While we are waiting for Atalanta to win at Copenhagen, not a good start of the CL draw for the Italian clubs: Utd for Juventus, Real Madrid for Roma and Paris SG for Napoli. Good for Inter instead, who will avoid all these opponents.
Roma got Real then teams they should beat. Inter got Barca and Tottenham. Napoli got PSG and Liverpool. Juve got United and Valencia. So with just a quick look, Juve and Roma got a good draw. Napoli and Inter have some work to do.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Tough groups for all, although Roma and Juve will be expected to make it through theirs. Napoli and Inter have very tough groups.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Atalanta lost on penalties to Copenhagen. Was rooting for Copenhagen, but not a wise choice to let Cornelius of all people take the final pk for Atalanta. Pressure must have been enormous on him. Although not a badly taken penalty, good save by the FCK keeper

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Atalanta will be happy to be eliminated rather than face the regular Thursday evening EL games during the autumn.

They can concentrate on Serie A now.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't it strange that Italian teams almost always lose to foreign ones on penalty-kicks? Corriere dello Sport also mentioned it in their report on the Copenhagen-Atalanta game.

NT or club, it's always the same story.

·
Registered
17,343 Posts
Old Lady vs Young Boys

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Not sure about that. FC Copenhagen were expecting to earn about 10 M euro from the group stages. Not astronomic but still substantial for clubs of the size of Copenhagen and Atalanta.

·
Registered
34,451 Posts
I think Atalanta will be happy to be eliminated rather than face the regular Thursday evening EL games during the autumn.

Didnt Gasperini big EL up just a week or two ago?

Googled it and yes he did.

Gasperini: "La qualificazione in Europa League è la priorità della stagione"
https://video-it.eurosport.com/calcio/europa-league/2018-2019/gasperini-la-qualificazione-in-europa-league-e-la-priorita-della-stagione_vid1116902/video.shtml

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He says that, but the fact they played their Serie A games on Mondays in order to get maximum rest shows they prioritised Serie A over EL qualification.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts

No they won't be. They're not a top club that can get in the CL. EL is prestigious for them.

They rested their starters against you.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts