Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. It's hard to draw many definitive conclusions from today's match vs. Sweden. It was an entertaining affair that once again displayed the Azzurri's frightening ability to play sleepy, unattractive soccer. But it also demonstrated how dangerous and successful Italy can be on the counter attack. The Azzurri didn't necessarily need to win the match; Sweden did. Italy played their second team, Sweden didn't. Sweden
controlled the ball longer and had better possession, but like with the Azzurri's previous two matches, Italy converted their chances and their opponents did not. Toldo was once again, stupendous.
Italy have emerged from the competition's easiest group w/ all 9 points. None of the three victories were pretty; none marked a dominating squad. However, I think we can agree that the results are welcome, considering our expectations. But the true tests lie ahead, and we musn't rest on our laurels or past wins because as many have pointed out, the competition, in essence, has just begun.
The overriding theme of Italy's performance so far has been Zoff's unexpected decision to play, and stick with, a formation of 3-5-1-1. The formation has come to define Italy, in not all positive ways, so far. First, it was Inzaghi playing behind Totti. Today. Montella provided an inspiring performance in front of Del Piero. But playing with one lone striker has virtually rendered Inzaghi useless, and will not provide enough true offense when we
play a team like England. It is, after all, a primarily defensive gameplan built around the counter attack, which we have always excelled in. But God forbid, we turn in a catennacio performance in the q-finals and go to pk's again. The point is, sooner or later, we'll have to adjust and play with at least two forwards.
Grades:
Toldo - A. Fantastic. Majestic. Complete.
Negro- D. Looked lost. No communication or design.
Iuliano - B-. Not his confident self. But settled eventually.
Ferrara - B+. Strong and sturdy. A solid performance.
Pessotto - D. A normal game for the elf. Low on esteem and muscle.
DiLivio - C. Rather average considering his recent good form.
Ambrosini - C+. A brute, really. But some nice marking and controlling today.
Maldini - B. Standard fare from the big guy. Will need him come Sat.
DiBiagio - B+. A nice goal and some decent thru balls and passes.
Del Piero - A-. Great goal and some good efforts. Looks impressive, but probably didn't impress enough to take Totti's spot.
Montella - A-. So great efforts considering it's usually him vs. the world in the 3-5-1-1. Like his style, his moves and his scoring threat.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well Italy were there usual self but I did not find the defense that good, only Toldo saved Italy from the defeats. I was saying from the beggining that Negro is in the team just because he is from Lazio. He is not a good defender and he has never impressed me. Paramatti of Bologna is better. Monetella played nice, he didnt score but give him Inzaghis missed chances and he will definitely score. Good style and ball control. Del Piero's wish came true, he wanted to play 90 minutes and score in the last minute, this is what happened. Hard to decide b/w him and Totti. Get rid of Inzaghi and bring in Montella, and replace ALbertini with Di Biagio(although ALbertini is not bad), but DI Biagio gives more fire power. ALbertini is defensive midfielder. We have to beat England if they qualify

D

·
0 Posts
Zoff rested eight players and they arguably played better than the first choices. Montella linked brilliantly with Del Piero and unlike Inzaghi didn't continually get caught offside and wasn't selfish in possession. A goal and
an assist for Del Piero though he really should have added a second. Ambrosini brought some much needed muscle to the Italy midfield. Mjallby continues to
impress and Ljunberg continues to piss up 100% chances as he had done at Arsenal throughout the season. If Sweden played like this in their first two games they would be joining Italy in the next round.

Man of the Match - Toldo. He's worth a two goal start for Italy.

Del Piero showed some nice touches in the second-half after being invisible in the first, except for delivering the corner to Di Biagio(who was totally unmarked)
DP's goal was quite good, pure killer's instincs, power and precision, he must have been wearing the Adidas Predator Precision's I pressume.

Quite frustrating, Italy were so in control, Sweden never thought like getting back into the match. Italy should have really killed the Swedes off in the second-half. I was disappointed not see Montella's name on the scoresheet.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hey don't forget Cannovaro and Nesta they came on late. Ambrosini and Negro weren't impressive at all. Initially, Italy were really missing a proper attacking midfield without Fiore. Montella played far better than I thought he would, but man of the match by far: Toldo.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
THeir was not much to loose her so Zoff decided to play for a test::
resting 8 players was needed...
But I think DP should start no matter who we play in the Quarter Finals..
I do think the Italians lacked in Defense maybe a bit too relaxed..
hopefully this attitude does not follow for the next match.
I read somewhere that Italia 2000 is being compared to ITALIA 82...
I guess in the respect that no-one gave them a chance in 82 and look what happened..Now no-one seems to still be giving them a respect for what they have accomplished thus far..
IS it possible to compare the 2 teams..???

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think if DP gets the right service from the midfield, he can do great things and score more goals. It's not fair to compare DP and Totti because both played in different games with different opponents. DP didn't get a good service from the midfield and he had to create chances for himself which i think he did superbly. So the best thing is still to play DP and Totti to make everyone happy including Zoff's head:):)

P

·
0 Posts
Can anyone answer this question? Why are players like Ambrosini and Pessotto on this team? Quite frankly I think they suck and the feeling is mutual with many others.

Primo c'mon Di Livio earned more than just a C more like a B. Played with alot of spirit, drew some free kicks and most important SAVED A GOAL!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts