Xtratime Community banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Lav said:

if they were the best team theyy owuld of made it

its all the better denamrk is a great team and sweden are tactically perfect where as u guys stink

such arrogance here really disgusts me

Lav

Seems like the tactically perfect and the great team didn't go too far as well

If you play 11 men behind the ball.It is very hard to score.teams like Argentina,Italy,France play entertaining football whilst teams like England and Sweden play boring football.

A bit of humility is a good thing

I think this defeat will do Argentina gpood in the long run. In the run up to this tournament, Argentina had become unbelievably arrogant, dismissing her oponents as nonentities, assuming nine points were just there for the picking up and showing a level of contempt that pissed off a lot of neutrals.

In effect, Argentina caught the English disease, that probably got to the players too. They thought all they had to do was turn up and the game was won. The likes of France, Brazil, Italy and Spain never showed so much disregard for their opponents. If you visit their forums, the fans there are polite and acknowledged that the group stage would be difficult. Contrast that with the assum[ption that Argentina would sweep everything before on this site.

A little bit of humility is a good thing and can only do Argentina good in the long run. England believe they can win the World Cup now just because they defeated Denmark 3-0. Do not worry, the three Rs of Brazil will have a word or two to say about that.

No matter how hard any other animal tries, it can never soar to the heights of the eagle

Re: A bit of humility is a good thing

your post makes no sense. I want you to show me exactly where any Argentine player showed any arrogance or disregard for their opponents. WHERE IS YOUR PROOF? I want quotes from players. Otherwise you seem to be saying that the fans had something to do with Argentina's performance. You say that other forums were more polite. What does that have to do with the team. Are you saying that we actually have some influence with the team? I've never seen them live. Maybe Czar and Batigold have, but still I dont think either of them can do anything. I really don't understand what you are trying to say here.

What "level of contempt that pissed off alot of neutrals." WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. before you say things like that, you had better be able to back yourself up with actual facts.

ayoakinfe said:
I think this defeat will do Argentina gpood in the long run. In the run up to this tournament, Argentina had become unbelievably arrogant, dismissing her oponents as nonentities, assuming nine points were just there for the picking up and showing a level of contempt that pissed off a lot of neutrals.

In effect, Argentina caught the English disease, that probably got to the players too. They thought all they had to do was turn up and the game was won. The likes of France, Brazil, Italy and Spain never showed so much disregard for their opponents. If you visit their forums, the fans there are polite and acknowledged that the group stage would be difficult. Contrast that with the assum[ption that Argentina would sweep everything before on this site.

A little bit of humility is a good thing and can only do Argentina good in the long run. England believe they can win the World Cup now just because they defeated Denmark 3-0. Do not worry, the three Rs of Brazil will have a word or two to say about that.

No matter how hard any other animal tries, it can never soar to the heights of the eagle

Argentina was arrogant!

Humbird, where were you when Canniggia and Batisturta were boasting about "winning seven games." That article was pasted on this site and Bielsa did not see it fit to condemn the attitude or rebuke the players.

Contrast it with Ceseari Maldini's approach to Chilavert. When Chilavert dismissed Spain as as just making up the numbers, satyoing that if they were in Latin America, they would not have qualified, Maldini issued a press statement, disassociating himself with the words, pointing out that Chilavert did not speak for the rest of the team.

Even after the England defeat, Batuistuta was still talking about how he could have sent England back home, instead of focusing on the Sweden game. The fact remains that he thought three points from the Sweden game was a foregeone conclusion.

Look at Veron's lazy crosses, Ortega's refusal to put himself about and Kily's refusal to do any donkey work. You can tell from their body language that they took victory for granted.

I repeat, a little bit of humility is good for everyone. I believe that in 2006, Argentina wil be a better team as a result of this elimination.

Re: Argentina was arrogant!

ayoakinfe said:
Humbird, where were you when Canniggia and Batisturta were boasting about "winning seven games." That article was pasted on this site and Bielsa did not see it fit to condemn the attitude or rebuke the players.
Where was I? Where were you? I defy you to show me the quotes where Bati, Cani or any of the players boasted about winning seven games.

There's a big difference between saying we CAN win seven games, and we WILL win seven games. Nobody on the team EVER boasted about winning seven games.

No coach would want a player who didn't have enough confidence in the team to think they could win. There's nothing wrong with believing in your team's abilities. It's something to be encouraged.

And there's no comparison with what Chilavert said and what any Argentine said.

Maybe you are taking your anger out on Argentina when in fact you should be anaylzing Nigeria's failures.

Re: Argentina was arrogant!

ayoakinfe said:
Even after the England defeat, Batuistuta was still talking about how he could have sent England back home, instead of focusing on the Sweden game. The fact remains that he thought three points from the Sweden game was a foregeone conclusion.

Here is an exact quote from Batistuta after the England match:

"Now we have to maintain our confidence level because we haven't yet lost anything. We have a team that can defeat Sweden although there is a chance we may lose. But we have the capability," said Gabriel Batistuta.

He absolutely DID NOT think that three points was a foregoing conclusion.

I'm still waiting for you to show me some actual proof to back up your accusations. And I'm going to be waiting for a long time, because there isn't any proof.

Re: A bit of humility is a good thing

ayoakinfe said:

if you read carefully the threads about the group stage, you will realise that almost noone thought that the group stage would be a piece of cake. it woukd haheve been insane to say that, when everytime we faced nigeria we had difficult matchs, england is a heated classic match, and sweden is a tough opponent with good defensive skills and dangerous fowards.
anyway, i though we were going to qualify and that we might win the 3 games, but i know how football is like and that anything can happen.

Humbird, is this not overconfidence and arrogance?

Humbird, has obviously forgotten this post

/09/2002. Argentina have set their sights on avenging their painful 1-0 defeat to England in the semi-finals, where it is possible the teams will meet again.

The South American's must beat Sweden on Wednesday though to stand any chance of that happening.

Argentine football federation president Julio Humberto Grondona said: "They (the players) hunger for revenge. They are already thinking of playing them again in the semi-finals.

"They have already swallowed the match against England and now they want revenge, in a sporting sense. It would be a good opportunity to get that in the semi-finals.

soccerage
--------------------------
wow...argentina vs. england in the semi-final would be hell of a great matchup...

Member of Gutter Club, GC 4 Life!!!

Report this post | IP: Logged

09-06-2002 20:19
profile private message my site more posts buddy edit | quote
Batigol9
Forum Manager

Teams: Al Wasl & Boca Juniors

If we qualify (insha'allah) I'd rather face Brazil than England, it will be much much better.

I'm not interested in where you play, local or visitor, I will come to see you, death will not separate, from the heavens I will cheer you, I am Argentine and you are the happiness of my heart, you are my life, my passion, I would give my life to see you Champion

09-06-2002 20:42
profile private message my site more posts buddy edit | quote
leg100
Player

Teams: southampton and argentina

Its unlikely England could make it that far.....

And Brazil are vastly overrated. So who knows who it might be. Prolly France if they can make it.

09-06-2002 21:16
profile private message more posts buddy edit | quote
ak
Star Player & Former Star Player

Teams: ArGentina & Parma

Its bever good to seek revenge etc..
Best to channel evrything into getting the cup.

09-06-2002 22:22
profile private message more posts buddy edit | quote
Assassin
Star Player & Hemic

Location: Here and forever, it's mine, ours, and forever,recently living on 7 mountains, currently living on 14.
Teams: Palestine, Jordan And Argentina

They must concetrate on beating Sweden at wendesday, rather than showing their anger of nobody but themselves.....

Sweden 1st, and then the rest will be discussed after the match,thats it.............................No bullsh!t......

Vamos Argentinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sorry, I still don't see any quotes from Argentine players saying they were sure of winning the tournament or any match for that matter.

All AFA president Grondona was saying was that he hoped for another matchup with England. He gave no indication he was dismissing Sweden or any other team.

You have to also remember that soccerage and any news agency edits their articles. Maybe it's because I can read the original Spanish interviews in their entirety that I feel this way. What appears on soccerage or onefootball is heavily edited and shortened.

If you want an example of true arrogance and disregard for opponents, here's Ronaldo and Marcos:

Ronaldo has joined goalkeeper Marcos in rubbishing England's chances of defeating Brazil in the World Cup quarter-finals in Shizuoka on Friday.

Marcos claimed that the Brazil reserves could beat England on Wednesday, and Ronaldo has endorsed the sentiments of the Palmeiras shot-stopper.

"We don't need to be worried," he said. "England must be careful. "Our team is just as powerful, if not stronger."

No Argentine player ever said anything like that.

you should be a lawyer, hum.;)

From what I know, the only ones making argentina favorite were the bookies and the other coaches along with the critics that never know anything.Neither Bielsa nor the players said they were champions before starting the tournament.The only lesson to be learned from this is that we need to change coach and players, that's about it and start the process again.Hopefully will be better next time.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.