Xtratime Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after weeks of waiting it is finally happening: I am returning to Turkey this weekend :party: Staying 1 week in Istanbul including a lot of touristy stuff, hopefully visiting some employment agencies, seeing a few old friends back.

One problem though: I have booked accomodation on the European side, while all affordable (low budget) air lines fly to Sabiha Gökcen airport. Although I did live on the Asian side when I lived in Turkey (I was in Maltepe) I never went to that airport. I know my directions perfectly well in Kadiköy and in the European side (Taksim, Sultanahmet, etc) but how to get from Sabiha Gökcen to the European side in the easiest way?? :confused: A taxi would cost me more lira's than 2 or 3 nights hotel, so I insist on taking a bus or any shuttle available.

Does anyone know how I can get from the airport to preferably the European side, or at least to Kadiköy (from there I know what busses to take to cross the Bosphorus so getting to Kadiköy would already be a great help).

PS: I arrive in Istanbul this Sunday early morning. Staying 6 days. Finally back to the city where I experienced love at first sight. Hopefully I can hop into a few employment agencies, and I look forward to finally spend some more pleasant summer nights in the shadow of the Sultanahmet Camii, strolling through the Bazar in Beyazid, and enjoying dinner with sight on the Bosphorus in Ortaköy. Will try to make a lot of pictures.

·
*the drum drum*
43,421 Posts
More . .

The Turkish version of the site says that the airport is 14km from the Pendik Deniz Otobüsü İskele. That's the sea bus port. I initially thought you were at the main (Atatürk) airport and gave you instructions on that, and the same thing could apply here.

Your worst case scenario should be to take a taxi to the Pendik Deniz Otobüsü İskele, and from there you can take a sea bus (if you haven't seen them, just consider them a modern, express ferry) from there they have limited services, and the only one to the other side of Istanbul is Kabatas (pick Pendik for Kalkış Yeri, and Varış Yeri will list the places it services):

http://www.ido.com.tr/

EDIT - you know what, scratch that too :D

There's no services from Pendik on Sunday according to the above website. But the airport's website does list that there's an express train to Haydarpasa from Pendik. From Haydarpasa I'm sure you could find your way across, it is only a stone's throw from Kadikoy afterall.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting to Haydarpasa would be fine. I lived very near to Kadiköy before, but never used this airport. If I could find my way to Kadiköy, I know exactly where to go as Kadiköy is the area of the city most familiar to me. So getting to Haydarpasa would be perfect :thumbsup:

Weird realising that in less than 2 days I will already be in Istanbul for over half a day...

Thanks for your instructions!

·
*the drum drum*
43,421 Posts
Did you check out the other information on the site? There could be buses straight to Kadikoy as well, I don't want to be responsible for sending you to Pendik train station if there's no train services that day :D

Enjoy the trip and good luck with your job hunt.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Merhaba!

Calling in from my hotel in Beşiktas. My third day here and only second peep online so you can guess I am pretty busy.

I met a really nice American girl whose camera was broken and who was not familiar with Istanbul at all. Gentleman as I am, I promised her to guide her through the city and take the pictures for her. So we spent 2 days together: boat cruise on the Bogaz, visit to Taksim and Kadiköy, isit to the grand bazaar and the Blue Mosque, dinner by the Bosphorus Bridge in Eminönu. She was really nice ... and she says her boyfriend is really nice as well :moan: so I behaved and considered it an act of friendship. Will definitely stay in touch with her.

The next days I am probably heading for Ortaköy and maybe Büyukkada. Any other districts of the city you'd recommend (remember I already did Besiktas, Sultanahmet, Eminönu, Beyazid, Taksim and Kadiköy) ?? Some other districts with a nice waterfront or lovely architecture?

It was weird but very nice to see all those places again where I used to hang out when I lived in Istanbul. Getting from the airport to the European side I even passed my old workplace... In the end the busses were clearly signposted so I worried a bit for nothing I guess. The Sabıha Gökcen Havalimanı is a lot more compact and easier to use than the Atatürk one. Just a pity it is far out of the city but then crossing the Bosphorus bridge compensates for the long drive.

Good night to you all (or -spelling can be corrected if needed- iak şamlar !)

PS: the girls are still as pretty as when I first came to Istanbul. The sun is burning sometimes which can be a bit uncomfortable, but I love the female summer fashion :lick:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Need some help again guys :)

Due to the American girl dragging me through the old city already I am already ahead of my schedule and will have 1 or 2 days left with nothing planned yet. As the weather is really hot and the islands have the best beaches, I thought of visiting the Princes Islands (Adalar). I know from when I lived in Istanbul before, that there is a ferry from Bostancı to Büyukkada. However, I am staying in the European part now (Beşiktas) so going all the way to Bostancı first would be a bit of a hassle to go to the islands.

Is there any direct ferry from the Avrupa side to the Adalar? I have been to the Eminönu and Beşiktas Iskeler (ferry) but saw only ferries to Kadıköy, Haydarpaşa and Usküdar. Is there no easier way to get to one of the Adalar (preferably Büyukkada but may be another one as well if another island has better ferry)?

Apart from that: still doing very well. Beşiktas is a great place, my hotel is next to a street full of bars, restaurants and shops and it is crowded until late night. The Bosphorus promenade is only 10 minutes walk. Only the heat is a bit too much, but that is why I consider a visit to the beach at the Adalar (I could also swim in Bosphorus I guess, but the local people tell me the currents are making it an unsafe place to swim, so better go to the Adalar for that)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.