Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a article that talks about Israelis who support Turkey NT and shows the bond between Israel and Turkey, for the many reasons....

enjoy!

Why do Israelis refuse to share in Turks' delight?

By Amir Ben-David
Celebrations in Istanbul after Turkey made the semi-finals.
(Photo: AP)

How many Israeli were pleased by the success of the Turkish national team at the World Cup? How many cheered for Sukur, Recber, Sas and their teammates when Turkey played Brazil, traditionally the best-supported team in Israel? And how many were delighted when the Turks eliminated Israel's newly-adopted favorite, the Senegalese national team?

If recent polls of supporter sympathies are to be believed - very few.

Israelis, just back from a vacation in the Turkish resort of Antalya, were enthusiastically vocal in the support of Ireland; habitual drinkers of Turkish coffee kept their fingers crossed for Portugal; lovers of that most Turkish dish, shwarma, followed Argentina's progress avidly; even fans of singers Avi Bitter and Ofer Levy were more impressed by David Beckham's new hair-do that the Turks' successes.

Ironically, the only team that Israelis did not look to in their search for an underdog to adopt, was Turkey - our huge friend to the north, the only Muslim country that is truly worried by the state of our water supply, and the country that gave Haim Revivo the chance to play Champions League soccer.

No grudge to bear

Why is that? Was history to blame? Apparently not. Very few Israelis still bear a grudge against the Turks for executing members of the Nili spy ring in 1917. In any case, if we have forgiven the Spaniards and the Portuguese for their crimes during the Inquisition, isn't it about time we forgave the offspring of the Ottoman Empire for their fathers' sins? Could the reason be religious? It is safe to assume that religion plays some part in Israelis' lack of support for the Turks. Not that we are racist (God forbid), but given the current state of affairs, it's not easy to cheer for the Muslims.

But these are not the main reason for the slight estrangement from our Turkish friends. My guess is that Israelis find it hard to support Turkey because of the proximity. Because we drink Turkish coffee, eat shwarma. Because we vacation in Turkish resorts, and listen to Turkish-style songs on the radio. As far as Israeli soccer fans are concerned, the Turkish national team does not, nor can it ever have, the same aura that surrounds soccer nations from far-away lands. Fans who sip Guinness, dance the samba or eat doggies are far more exotic that the Turks.

For us, the Turkish national team is like the annoying guy you know from the old neighborhood, who went out to seek his fortune in the wide world and came back rich, while we were stuck at home with the mortgage, the mosquitoes and Shlomo Scharf's oh-so-witty commentary. Why should we support them? Are they any better than us? Let them come to Ramat Gan - we'll tear them apart.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Kappa18 said:
For us, the Turkish national team is like the annoying guy you know from the old neighborhood, who went out to seek his fortune in the wide world and came back rich, while we were stuck at home with the mortgage, the mosquitoes and Shlomo Scharf's oh-so-witty commentary. Why should we support them?
Thanks for the article Yoav. I think this last part is the most telling. I am glad you can break the trend and support out NT:)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Very interesting. I was surprised to hear that they did not support us contradicting what i always thought!

I think it is because they beat us 4-0 in a friendly 4 years ago;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I for one am glad that don't support us.

we don't need that kind of support.:cool:

Edit: These kind of racistic remarks are not allowed in Xtratime. It is a bannable offense. So I hope you will refrain from making these comment again. I would advise you to read the rules over again.
We are the Turkish board out there who take pride in having members willingly respect each other and who have a good time so please lets keep it that way. Thank you very much for your understanding.

P.S. Please check you private message inbox.

carlito,
community manager

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Actually I am pretty sure there are many supporters for the Turkish NT in Israel, both countries are in good relationship and Revivo is being treated like a semi-god here to name a few reasons. There are also many Turkish workers here who like to watch Turkey's games together. :D

Having said that - I kind of agree with the last pharagraph. While I am happy to see Turkey doing so well I feel somewhat sad over Israel's constant failure of closing the gap from the rest of Europe. We always told ourselves that in order to do that we need to take example from close nations like Turkey, but now it appears like the gap is just too big to close. :(

I hope Turkey beats Korea tomorrow and does well in their next Euro 2004 qualifiers campaign, and who knows, maybe one day Israel and Turkey will play eachother in some major competition. :hopefull: :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I always wondered which countries support our NT. One of those is Israel!?
I expected (also) other countries, but unfortunately no:rolleyes: But neverthesless we are gratefull for real support from the heart!!! ;)

I don`t remember a match Israel-Turkey in the last years. I think there were a friendly and a UEFA-match (BJK). But somehow I do (want) not remember these games :tongue:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts