Xtratime Community banner

Should we travel to play the NT game in Israel?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there will be a friendly match against Isreal on February 11th, which will be our first match of 2009. I don't know much about them to be honest, but they are a good team from what the numbers say (they are ranked 18th in the FIFA rankings, even though I do not agree with it, it still means they are a pretty solid team). They currently sit 2nd place in their WCQ group, with a 2-2-0 record. I saw them play once and they were good, they had really fast counter attacks, so it should be a good game. The thing I was worried about before the qualifying campaign is that we only had warm up matches at home (against Greece, Croatia, and Montenegro) and well looking at our last qualifying campaign we lost 5 out of 6 away games (2-1 against Malta, 3-0 against Moldova...) so it is a weak point and I was hoping for more away games but that did not happen. Now I guess the MLSZ finally realized that we should have more away games and scheduled 2 away games (Northern Ireland and Isreal). The game against NI was impressive and hopeful, so I am a bit more confident but still I wish we had more away games under our belt. But im still betting on a Hungary win (as always) ! Our team has been playing really well lately, even our only loss we played much better then the opponent for the most part !

But, there is a problem: do we really have to play in a country that is going through a war right now :S I mean, how many people died there just over Christmas ? and anyone hear of the rocket hitting the center of a football field, right before the match was supposed 2 begin ? They even had to cancle the first week of 2009's matches in the Isreal NBI because of problems with the war. Now I really don't see why it is neccessary for our boys to go to play a friendly match in a country that is in the middle of a war and having clear troubles ? :S the match should be moved to Hungary or a neutral location far from the war.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
ye and tghis way we have more fans :) plus for some reason im thinking nemeth will be called up! still a month 2 go and he should be fine by then
plus koeman has given clues kinda saying everyone seems to like him so i think mabey he will be and that could be big for him, proving to rafa that hes NT levle and could even show koeman somthing special.

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
coming from the 2 ppl who add the least to the Hungarian forum this is quite funny. And there are tons of sections of threads with 'non-related chatter'.

But there is another topic at hand, not just the match, but the state of Israel and the safety and concern of our players, which will be looked into starting Monday. So, i'd say it's the right time to open it.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
The match is more than a month away.
Agreed, the thread will just turn into non-related chatter. I think we also have a rule for opening match threads ?

Close please :)
Correct. It's one month before the game. Because people were just starting threads months before games and all in one go.

As for discussing the safety and upcoming friendlies etc. That's why the MLSZ thread was created.

Thread closed :)

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i'm glad for all of the concern coming from dear andor and gabi about the forum^^ ...but now it's back to business.

so Koeman reached Hungary on Saturday, and well the one thing that was on everyones mind was about the Israel match. The players all said that they would prefer not to go, because it is dangerous and their lives would be in danger. Koeman says that the players jobs are to be fit and healthy, and the rest they could trust the MLSZ in. If it is decided that they will go to Israel, then all the players must come and be ready to play.

"I've heard, that some of the players are afraid to go to Israel, but I believe, that during these days they should be concentrating on their clubs and football. I understand, that the situation is worrying them, but in the end, if we decide to go, then I won't accept any excuses. No one should be scared, because if I believe it is dangerous to go there, then 100% we will not go" - said Koeman "We must decide soon. The latest news is that the championships in Israel have started again, and since most teams already have matches set up for the February 11th match day, it would be very hard to find an opponent, so for now I'm confident, and I do plan, that we will go to Israel".

·
Registered
17,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i've been informed :D I wrote it incorrectly in the title and first post, but after I learned it's Israel i've been writing it like that. I asked Bentex to change the typo but still nothing...

·
Registered
42,802 Posts
Thanks for that. I thought my post was an annoying one. Very annoying, I was planning on deleting it.

Bentex I hold nothing against you, you're the glue that holds this forum together.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
So, if MLSz and/or Koeman thinks it's too dangerous they won't go but why is other potential opponents a problem? Shirley the game could be played in a neutral country or in Hungary; weather is not too bad now and, unless we get a really cold spell, Feb 11th would be OK. Either way it would give both teams the match against reasonable opponents that they both need at this stage in the season.

·
Registered
57,845 Posts
hey it's not that the game is played in the Gaza strip or anything close by so what the fuzz about it? I was thinking about going but was a bit shocked by El Al prices (750 € return ticket) so decided not to go.

dangerous? seriously, the players should worry about their performances nothing else.

·
Registered
410 Posts
hey it's not that the game is played in the Gaza strip or anything close by so what the fuzz about it? I was thinking about going but was a bit shocked by El Al prices (750 € return ticket) so decided not to go.

dangerous? seriously, the players should worry about their performances nothing else.
Agree, matez. Surely Israel was in deadly conflict with Hamas, but I still consider it as a safe country. No news about suicide bombers inside the country these days. A couple of yeras ago suicide bombings were a daily routine... Though surely there must be some tension in the whole country (always been). But I don't think it will have an impact on a football game.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
i duno, i still really dun wana risk it, i mean wat happens if ( knok on wood) we go and a bomber comes and players on both teams die! like jesus rather them just play in a nutral country like austria or somthing, just so the isrealies dont be like, hey thats not fair that u guys r playing at home now. and austria has a nice stadium now. but then again, there are probably more freindlies that day so it will probably be ocupied.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts