Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marriage laws in North America are completely, utterly, outrageously ridiculous. :groan: I've never been too big a fan of the fact that you can work your entire life building something, get married, and then your ex-spouse takes half of what you created with all your blood and sweat and hard work. One exemple among the many, rather countless cases of women who helped by the truly anti-men laws in North America, abusing or rather raping financially their ex-husbands. That exemple is Lionel Richies' soon to be ex-wife.

Here's her outrageous claims as to how much monthly income she's expecting to be receiving in her divorce settlement. A whopping US$300,000. Now, take a look at the expenses she's listing and more incredusly, what she's spending her money on. :fero:

Lionel Ritchie's wife feels she needs $300,000 a MONTH from her soon to be ex-husband said her monthly expenses include $15,000 for clothing, shoes and accessories, $3,000 for "dermatology" and $1,000 for laser hair removal.

The 37-year-old mother of two, who filed for a divorce in January, said that each month she spends $600 on hair, $250 on nails, $150 on electrolysis, $450 on facials, $500 for her trainer and $600 each on Pilates, massages, and therapy.

Diane Richie also lists yearly expenses of $20,000 for plastic surgery and $125,000 for tuition at her 9-year-old son's Colorado boarding school, which she says she tries to visit at least once a month -- at a cost of between $15,000 and $20,000. :eek::dazed:

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you believe this to be fair? IMO, specially for those marrying a North American woman, you just MUST MUST MUST (can't stress this enough!) get a prenup agreement otherwise, you're setting yourself to be royally rapped financially by some gold-digger b_itch...excuse my american...:eek::groan:

As far as I'm concerned, there's no way in hell I'll marry a North American woman so the pre-nup would probably be less of a factor, but still, I'd look at ways to protect myself, my interests and my assets, in case things don't work out well before marriage. As they say, better be safe than sorry...

·
THE
13,983 Posts
But it's money well used, isn't it? this is how American economy can florish-the hairdresser pays for Lionel concert tickets or CDs, Lionel pays it to missis, missis pays it to the hairdesser.Money circulates and creates taxies for teh state. Easy, really.
Besides, nobody forces you to get married.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I know the logic behind this, but do not really agree. the thing is, if the settlement for a divorce is not tied to income then rich people can throw away their partner like used socks. That does nto imply that I think it surerly is over the top in cases like this. And someone should not get money to satisfy a extravagant lifestyle just because she had it in the relationship.

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Shouldn't a rich guy like Lionel have sprung for a few bucks for a lawyer to write up a pre-nup? He is just stupid. He has been married at least once before (one of them kicked his ass when she caught him cheating on her, leading to his long period out of the spotlight in the 90s), and shouldn't he know better? ;)

But then again, having to look at Lionel's less than handsome visage every morning (singing Easy probably doesn't make up for it) for several years, is worth a few bucks certainly. :D

RIO

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
damn..if lionel's wife is that harry that she needs that much electrolyis, i would have given her millions just to leave...:D

i say he compromises and pays for her to a dog groomer..probably cheaper

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
You'd be surprised how much electrolysis costs. A classmate looked into getting her legs done, but it would have cost thousands.

I agree with Kris that nobody's entitled to a luxurious lifestyle just because they married into money and are now divorcing out of it. I would, however, make one exception for their son's situation: if Mr. Ritchie's keen on maintaining the same obnoxiously expensive education for Junior, then he should cough up at least half. The child is his son, and he should be just as responsible for for his schooling as the mother.

And I also agree with Heather: It's his own damned fault for not signing a pre-nuptual agreement.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Well I surerly agree that the son is a special case and even more so than you. He should pay the whole education as he probably did that in the past, the kid should not have to change school because of something like this.... But then again, I am sure he pays for his son or?

·
Registered
69,078 Posts
like what Howard Stern says....if your going to get married sign a pre-nup! :D becuase the same thing basically happened to him and many other famous people who got in a divorce.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
DerbyCounty said:
like what Howard Stern says....if your going to get married sign a pre-nup! :D becuase the same thing basically happened to him and many other famous people who got in a divorce.
Sound advice...:D

But how many woman would sign a prenuptial agreement?

None...:howler:

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GaGa said:

None...:howler:
Well, if she doesn't want to sign it, then you know right off the bat what she's after...a big red flag...:eek:

Cheers.;)

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Or maybe she's a woman who understands the sacrament, and she know that any man insisting on a prenup would discard her out of boredom or the advent of "something better..."

A man who asks for a prenup is a farce of a man who makes a farce out of the institution

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fangul,
I understand perfectly what you mean in that marriage is something very sacred. I totally and completely agree with that. :)

Now, the reason I was making those comments about the importance of getting a pre-nup is mainly because I certainly do not agree with the idea that you work your entire life, you build up something nice for you and then, some sweet honey comes along and sweet talks you into marriage and then, she gets off, with half your belongings/assets/whatever you've worked your butt off to amass. That's the thing that truly bothers me and that I find completely unbearable.

Don't get me wrong: the lady that I'll be marrying, whomever she will be, will be a woman that I would love with all my heart and soul and that I will give her everything she needs and wants. Everything. On top of vowing total fidelity, honour and love to her. However, I also want to protect myself and my interests and assets. That's all.

I guess if someone has any kind of assets, then getting a pre-nup is simply a matter of common sense and not a matter of lacking respect towards a sacred institution that the marriage is.:)

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers.;)

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
San Siro said:
Fangul,
I understand perfectly what you mean in that marriage is something very sacred. I totally and completely agree with that. :)

Now, the reason I was making those comments about the importance of getting a pre-nup is mainly because I certainly do not agree with the idea that you work your entire life, you build up something nice for you and then, some sweet honey comes along and sweet talks you into marriage and then, she gets off, with half your belongings/assets/whatever you've worked your butt off to amass. That's the thing that truly bothers me and that I find completely unbearable.

Don't get me wrong: the lady that I'll be marrying, whomever she will be, will be a woman that I would love with all my heart and soul and that I will give her everything she needs and wants. Everything. On top of vowing total fidelity, honour and love to her. However, I also want to protect myself and my interests and assets. That's all.

I guess if someone has any kind of assets, then getting a pre-nup is simply a matter of common sense and not a matter of lacking respect towards a sacred institution that the marriage is.:)

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers.;)
Or...when that woman comes you will be a coward and not show the pre-nup but actually gamble? :tongue:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
GaGa said:

I wouldn't. ;)

Not because I want his money, I can support a very comfortable lifestyle just with my own earning power thank you very much. :cool: And women who want to sponge off their ex-husbands just to get the money to do their hair, nails, skin, etc are just plain weak.

The only people I feel sorry for in this whole episode are the two kids. :(

I have rather strong views about marriage, but then again I grew up in a very happy and close-knit family, my parents are still together and in love with each other after 25 years of marriage, so I can't really comment from the other end of the spectrum. All I know is that when I get married and have children, I want to be as good a parent to my kids as mine were to me. :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
GaGa said:

Same thing with me, I wouldn't :eek:

Pre-nup means that you didn't trust your wife, you didn't trust your love and you didn't trust of your assets to be take care by your wife. It's a disgrace that two people wanna get married should sign up that such agreement.

If you get divorce, and half of your assets should be share with your wife, then be nice to her, think how many years she stand by your side, think how many hours she waits for you to come home, taking care of your children, your house, being nice to your mother, coz she respect your love to your mom :)

San Siro, you're not married yet, why should you worry? if you your g/f doesn't want to sign the prenup, what should you do? dumped her?;) :pp

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
adel_10 said:
Same thing with me, I wouldn't :eek:

Pre-nup means that you didn't trust your wife, you didn't trust your love and you didn't trust of your assets to be take care by your wife. It's a disgrace that two people wanna get married should sign up that such agreement.

If you get divorce, and half of your assets should be share with your wife, then be nice to her, think how many years she stand by your side, think how many hours she waits for you to come home, taking care of your children, your house, being nice to your mother, coz she respect your love to your mom :)

San Siro, you're not married yet, why should you worry? if you your g/f doesn't want to sign the prenup, what should you do? dumped her?;) :pp
Ok but what about the gold-diggers of this world...A pre-nump is an insurance policy against such devious woman...;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
GaGa said:
Ok but what about the gold-diggers of this world...A pre-nump is an insurance policy against such devious woman...;)
But there's no way to verify whether the woman is a gold-digger you see, as they say when one is in love (enough to want to get married) he is blind to the faults of the woman, you just have to go with trust.

And if in the end the woman does turn out to be a gold-digger than it's the man's fault for having lousy judgment. :tongue: Chances are, he'll get it wrong, which explains why some men feel so lost in clothes stores, hate shopping, and have a terrible sense of fashion and colour coordination. If he can't even pass the correct judgment on clothes then what are the chances that he can pass the right judgment on women. :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well,
A&K, I also have strong views on the topic and just like you, I also am lucky that my parents have been living in a happy marriage for more than 25 years (knocking on woods...) in a very close knit family. So it's not that I do not believe in marriage. At the very opposite, believe me. :)

As to A-Del's comments that a pre-nup means you don't trust your wife, well, as I said, not really. For one, you should marry a person that you trust blindly, so only a fool would marry someone they can't trust. So far, of all the girlfriends I've dated, I haven't really felt with any of them this feeling that I could blindly trust them. I'm not talking about basic trust that one shouldn't cheat on the other, I'm talking about a deeper kind and level of trust.

The type of trust that you can basically feel totally and cmopletely safe to talk to her about your business(es) and put your life in her hands so to speak and she'll be there for you, should something happen to you. That's the type of trust I'm referring to. Whenever I meet such a lady, I'll marry her right away.

As to whether I'll have her sign a pre-nup, I don't know. It would probably depend on where I would stand professionally and asset-wise. Another good alternative to having a pre-nup would be to have all your assets transferred to a trust company before you get married. This way the possibility of her taking off with half your hard earned and built life would be near to nil.:)

Hope this clarifies things. :)

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
adel_10 said:
If only it were that way.

My parents' divorce was finalized when I was 15 months old, and without going into the gory details, it went quite contrary to my mother getting anywhere near half of anything.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts