Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading how some of you think that Thuram is mouth watering and great and wonderful etc...

i totally agree, one of the worlds best for sure.

but, seriously think about this, is thuram enough for that defence?????

i dont want to come here in this forum and bag your team, but that defence needs at least 3 thurams to make it good.

your keeper would have to be one of the most overated, hyped f*ck up on the planet. your youth keeper could do a better job!!

Blanc?????why the hell is he there, he's just filling space really and if he was at any other big club, he wouldnt even be looked at.

Johnsen, have respect for him, but he's times up, so is p neville. g neville is struggling and isnt playing as he was 3 years ago.

silvestre, not bad, but not a starter.

i think Thuram is just going to fix your defence abit, what about the other 4 positions there???

like i said, i'm not meaning to be a smartarse or anything, but you have to admit, more is needed than thuram, you seriously have to start looking for full backs, and at least another two centre backs after thuram has signed.

thats my personal opinion, Man U have everything under control but their defence.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
we already have the foundations for a great defense, neville, silvestre and brown and when we're on form we're hard to beat, e.g. at chelsea. barthez is a great keeper but he really needs to be more consistant.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I really don't get the whole Brown hype.
At his best, he's very good, but he's way too inconsitent and makes so many stupid mistakes. Reminds me of Henning Berg.

I'd rather see him on the right back and Gaz in the central position if Fergie "has" to use him, even if it'd weaken the attack cause of less forward runs form back-position.

It's a shame Johnsen leaves really, he's world class when not injured, and his speed would be valuable. I think they should try to secure Hofland as well as Thuram if they can afford it, cause Brown needs another apprentice year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i sure as hell hope we get thuram,but i also don`t think that will be enough with ronny and probaly blanc on the way out.
what`s the go with hofland is fergy still after him?

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Thuram and possibly a right-back would do the job,IMO.Thats why perhaps United's being constantly linkedwith that Greek player.

If he arrives Gaz could move into the center alongside Thuram.Gaz did a very good job while he played as a central defender when Johnsen was injured.Brown hasn't developed in the way Fergie expected him to and perhaps he'll be given a bit more time to mature as a player.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually, wes brown should be sold or swapped or something, its obvious after relentless stuff ups in big games etc...he is not the real deal for man u.

sure, he might play well when he plays agsint below average strikers against the bottom teams of the EPL, but when he comes up against teams in the CL, he melts like butter in the sun.

he has to go.......their have been some good full backs this season apparently. Bridge is one...why not go for him, he shouldnt be too hard to lure away from his crappy club.

thuram
hofland
bridge

that would make the defence look a lot more balanced.

barthez has to go.......there are plenty of keepers around who are better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
CUG said:
actually, wes brown should be sold or swapped or something, its obvious after relentless stuff ups in big games etc...he is not the real deal for man u.

sure, he might play well when he plays agsint below average strikers against the bottom teams of the EPL, but when he comes up against teams in the CL, he melts like butter in the sun.
United will never sell Brown, he is an excellent player who will continue to improve, in a few years he'll be one of the best defenders in the world. At the moment all he needs is a consistent run without injuries to show how good he really is.

He got into the England world cup squad after being out for a long time which shows how highly Eriksson rates him. I expect Wes Brown to be in the centre of our defence for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Hofland's looking like will end up in Barca.However Ayala's been saying some interesting things in the press lately and I wonder whether Seba will convince him at the WC to make the switch to OT.:lal::wishfulthinking:;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yah K-2, looks like we're gonna get Ayala.

Having Ayala and Thuram in the back will hopefully solve that problem. Think we can trade Veron for Rivaldo and then buy Ronaldo?

:greed:
:howler:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Rivaldo??? The Barca fans would laugh out loud if we did such a thing, no make that worse, the whole fecking football world would laugh at us. Rivaldo is a great player, but he is 30 and is very injury prone so nothing indicates that he is the type of player that could go on in top form until 33-35. We buy him to sit on the bench (or in the crowd) and pay his hospital fees???

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ayala AND Thuram, well that would help like heaps.

just a thought, does that mean that maybe Thuram might not be joining afterall???

or does it mean that Man U want both?

now all you have to fill is that left back spot and a keeper and your defence is set.

good stuff.......

how much is Ayala going for?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Think so

·
Registered
322 Posts
i read that ayala would cost around 15mil and i reckon we could get thuram for 20mil.
and we shore as hell won`t be selling wes he`s only about 21 and still hasn`t played a full season yet due to injurys and he`ll be one of the best defenders going around in a couple years.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Age not a factor here? Thuram is already 30 isn't he?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i would think that both Thuram and Ayala would be around the same age. Ayala has been around for a long time, playing napoli and Milan before Valencia i think.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Ayala's 28 and Thuram's 30.Both these players have a few good seasons left in them so that shouldn't be a worry.

Question is whether we'll get either of them during the summer.;)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I think that they both want to go to Man U but the fact is will you be prepard to pay £35m to repair your defence... if you get them both then problem solved... no doubt about it...

That is why I am praying that this will not happen... I mean can you imagine the team they will have!!!!

But saying all of this irony may have a part to play as if you get Thuram (who insists on playing in the center) then you may well lose Silvestre for the same reason:)

Brown is ok... with time he will be very good... I mean just look at Rio.
At left back there may be trouble especially if you can't figure out P Neville for the pile of rubbish that he is...

One more things... has Man U ever considered buying a defender that is not bracketed as one of the best in the world... I mean you guys have been linked to Hoffman, Cannavarro, Thuram, Nesta and Ayala... no offence but there are good cheaper players out there that would still improve the defence

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I think that they both want to go to Man U but the fact is will you be prepard to pay £35m to repair your defence... if you get them both then problem solved... no doubt about it...
One of the prime reasons why United ended up trophyless this season is because of a poor defence.The confidence and organization wasnt there for the entire season and that resulted in so many individual errors which cost us so deeply.:(Thats the Board will understand the need to spend big on the defence and mke money available for Fergie.Remember Yorkie and Phizza will most likely be leaving in the summer so some of the money will be recovered from this sales.

But saying all of this irony may have a part to play as if you get Thuram (who insists on playing in the center) then you may well lose Silvestre for the same reason
Micky has played in the left-back for us all season and gradually his performances have been improving.I am sure that he won't mind playing their for United and the question of transfer doesn't arrive.He'd be delighted to have four fellow INTs playing alongside him and why would he want to leave?He has expressed his desire to play in the center but Fergie's made it clear to him that left-back is his best position.:)

One more things... has Man U ever considered buying a defender that is not bracketed as one of the best in the world... I mean you guys have been linked to Hoffman, Cannavarro, Thuram, Nesta and Ayala... no offence but there are good cheaper players out there that would still improve the defence
United gets linked with every player on this Earth because of the sheer size and magnitude of this club.the same happens with the likes of Real,Barca and Juve.

Like you pointed out there are very good defenders who aint as well known as a Nesta or a Cannavaro and one doesnt have to look far to find the perfect example in Hyppia.GH brought him for $6million or sth and now he's regarded asone of the top defenders in the world.

Thats why I am a little apprehensive about Thuram and Ayala both joining in the summer.That Greek defender Patsatzaglou(spelling:tongue: ) and Thuram looks more realistic to me.If they can come in and provide stability and much needed organization at the back then with the force that we are going forward,our troubles will be solved by a long way.:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
if we can get ayala and thuram this summer it would benefit the club emensely. both have yet to reach their prime IMO and they'd be great role-models for wes.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
For me, and this is my personal view here, Ayala at this moment in time is the best central defender in the world... he is that good. If he was bought by Man U then that would be great for you and if Thuram came along it would be even better but I just wonder how much money Man U are willing to spend.

I got the feeling last year that the money spent was the last big spending spree for a while and even if you do sell Yorke and Phizza it will not be a drop in the ocean to what you have to spend...

We are talking about £35m on two players with another needed (lets be honest) in attack... this is where the big bucks will have to spent...

Even a bragain buy such as Angel would make you have to part with £12m... bringing the total to £47m.

And then you have to understand the implications of all of this... Man U will now become a buying club and the youngsters will not come through.

One more thing... if they are to spend all of this money then I think they may do something silly and sell Veron... this would be a big mistake.
The guy is class and will prove it in time, sell him at your peril

1 - 20 of 29 Posts