Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that Van Gaal en Nunez have voluntarily quit their jobs at Barca.
Is this true?

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
VG i don't know but Nunez, i heard on Yahoo!France Football that as reported in El Mundo Deportivo, one of Spain's most reliable Sport
papers. Also, that paper is known as being the official paper of Barca...
Forza Magico Milan!
Hala Madrid!
Allez Les Bleus!
Arriba Espana!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Cruyff should be president, dont you think?

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA!

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
According to FCB's website it's true. the only thing is it's 12.30 Saturday night and they said anything on Catalan TV or teletext. What's going on? I'm going out to look for champagne in case it's true.

·
Registered
526 Posts
El Mundo Deportivo, one of Spain's most reliable sports papers. Ha ha, that is rich. They are about as reliable as AS, Marca, and The Sun. In other words, don't believe the hype. However, I will be the first to celebrate if all of this is true.

J

·
0 Posts
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/news/feature.sps?id=2013590&languageid=9

read the bottom lines!!!

The Catalan sports paper <i>Mundo Deportivo</i> claims in today’s issue that F.C. Barcelona president Josep Lluís Núñez has decided to quit the club after 22 years in the post. Below we print exerpts from the report.

“The public’s reaction and the way the people in the club reacted after Wednesday’s defeat, which he sees as just part of a campaign against him, has so disappointed Nuñez that he’s decided to quit.

Nuñez made his decision on Thursday and he won’t let tomorrow’s result against Real Sociedad, or Barca’s final league position change his mind.(…..) The Barca president has had enough of what he feels is an unfair campaign against him after 22 years service to the club, which he feels is just not appreciated.(….) Nuñez will leave the club after presenting this season’s financial statement and planning next season, something that would be impossible to do now, so soon before the new season. (…..)

Various factors have forced Nuñez into making his decision. On the one hand, the lack of appreciation shown by the fans for Van Gaal’s efforts have disappointed Nuñez, who believes the Dutch boss has been the object of a systematic campaign by groups with their own axes to grind. For Nuñez the campaign has created a hostile atmosphere. Nuñez found it unacceptable that some supporters turned up at such an important game as last Wednesday’s European Cup semi final with banners against the manager and the team.

The tense relationship with the coalition running the Catalan Generalitat also contributed to Nuñez’s decision. The Barca president felt that important projects needed for the club’s social and sporting development were being held up by the Catalan administration.

Finally Nuñez is unhappy with the attitude of a number of important players, like Guardiola and Figo, who he thinks have let him down by speaking out of turn in demanding that the board take action to resolve the supporters grievances.

The Barcelona board continues to have confidence in Van Gaal, whose contract has another two years to run, and the manager continues to be in charge of planning for the future. Nuñez claims it’s been a successful season, given that it’s only the seventh time the club have ever reached a European Cup semi final and that the team has been involve in three competitions almost right to the end of the season. The president is also happy with the way the team have played under Van Gaal.(….)”

The F.C.Barcelona official web page would like to inform all the club’s supporters and members that the Mundo Deportivo story is indeed true to the facts.

[This message has been edited by Jan (edited 14-05-2000).]

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
According to this morning´s papers, it's all true. The thing is, he's done it twice before: once after the Basle final in '79 and again just three days before the 92 final at Wembley with the excuse that he was taking the pressure off the players. Is this another bluff? He does say in La Vanguardia that he will never sit in the presidential box again and he's handing over the presidency to Gaspart. Would this be even worse? After the sacking of Cruyff, it was Gaspart who did all the dirty work: accusing Johaan of corruption and wishing for the death of Nuñez's family, etc.
Only time will tell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts