Xtratime Community banner

Should UEFA revert back to 16 teams?

• Total voters
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Even though Ireland might still qualify I think it was better with 16 teams. No easy games. Best major comp. In the World Cup and Copa America there are always some shitty teams but generally in the old 16 team Euros there were rarely bad teams

·
Banned
863 Posts
EURO2016 with 16 teams could look like this:

France
Czech Republic
Belgium
Spain
Germany
England
Northern Ireland
Austria
Italy
Portugal
Russia (16 points, +15 GD)
Romania (16 points, +8 GD)
Iceland (16 points, +8 GD)

With the play-offs between:

Slovakia (16 points, +6 GD)
Poland (15 points, +9 GD)
Switzerland (15 points, +5 GD)
Wales (15 points, +4 GD)
Croatia (14 points, +12 GD)
Albania (14 points, + 5 GD)

*assuming that the 9 group structure remains the same ... with the group winners and 3 best second place teams qualifying directly ... together with 3 play-off winners from the remaining second place teams.

·
******!
3,187 Posts
lol y would u complain about more football, if u dont find it interesting till the quarter finals or semi's u dont need to watch it till then.

UEFA practically just got half of Europe excited over some football. Probably definitely going to be some underdogs which makes it even better. Which is going to equal into a ton of money going into the economy, to uefa, to the football federation, which goes to the clubs.

I dont see one negative aspect about it. Unless you have OCD which makes you watch every single game so more games being played makes you go crazy lol.
:thumbsup:

Traditionally stronger nations doing poorly in this competition also has nothing to do with the format change.

·
Registered
46,071 Posts
...And to be followed by worst euro tournament in 2016?
Why the hell have 24 teams.So many crap teams will make it to the euros, and lower the level of competition in 2016. Plus qualification for so many nations became more or less useless.

I don't think anyone is following anymore this qualifications.

Discuss
Premise, I didn't watch any qualification game, not even the ones involving Italy, but that is a part of my snobbish attitude to consider Italy already qualified to the final phases of tournaments.
That said, the fact that more NTs (including average ones) had a chance to qualify to the final phase actually made the qualification games more interesting. In the past most of games between average teams were absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
57,120 Posts
Premise, I didn't watch any qualification game, not even the ones involving Italy, but that is a part of my snobbish attitude to consider Italy already qualified to the final phases of tournaments.
That said, the fact that more NTs (including average ones) had a chance to qualify to the final phase actually made the qualification games more interesting. In the past most of games between average teams were absolutely pointless.
see how the opposite approach can lead to the same conclusions. :D

I only watch qualification games and due to my snobbish attitude (or lack of my team qualifying) I don't watch much of the tournaments. however, this time around, my team is theoretically still in the race for France. usually, we are already gone 3 or 4 matchdays before end of quali circle. this time no pointless games at all, even games of other groups were meaningful for me all of a sudden and I was wetting my pants and biting my nails while watching Faroes vs Finland and Latvia vs Kazakhstan matches. :howler:

long live this qualification system!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I love this system, but I don't like the installation of the Nations League for the 2020 Euro, even though it might give Finland better chance because you can qualify by being best among the worst teams :D

In current system, you still have to earn your place by being atleast in the top 3 of your group, but in Nations League system the bottom 16 teams are GUARANTEED one place in the Euro. That feels stupid.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts