Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
doesnt compare to the early 90s - geoff thomas, keith curle, andy gray, carlton palmer and the like :D

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#3 - hahahaha, yeah i guess it's not!
anyways, i'm looking forward to an argentina - england rematch in the quarterfinals.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
seriously they are a talented bunch just need more players in some positions. eg DR (danny mills is :yuck: and glen johnson has been shocking this season), ML (something's never change) and GK (kirkland and green are vastly overrated). also sven's gotta learn that lampard and gerrard cant play in the same team

·
Registered
465 Posts
We had an extremely talented group of footballers back in the early '90's - the squad that made the semi finals at Italia '90 under Sir Bobby Robson being a prime example. The likes of Shilton, Gascoigne, Pearce, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Walker, Platt, Shearer, Adams and many more. Unfortunately, due to the mismanagement of many of these England sides in the 90's - we were never able to witness many of their talents in entirety.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
We had an extremely talented group of footballers back in the early '90's - the squad that made the semi finals at Italia '90 under Sir Bobby Robson being a prime example. The likes of Shilton, Gascoigne, Pearce, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Walker, Platt, Shearer, and many more. Unfortunately, due to the mismanagement of many of these England sides in the 90's - we were never able to witness many of their talents in entirety.
I agree. was just about to say the same thing. I'm not an England NT fan tho ;)

I only follow the Portugal NT.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
70s was the best, but again we were unlucky with managers.
Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Charlie George, Peter Osgood, Rodney Marsh - all discarded in favour of talentless goody-two-shoes tossers

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
We had an extremely talented group of footballers back in the early '90's - the squad that made the semi finals at Italia '90 under Sir Bobby Robson being a prime example. The likes of Shilton, Gascoigne, Pearce, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker, Walker, Platt, Shearer, Adams and many more. Unfortunately, due to the mismanagement of many of these England sides in the 90's - we were never able to witness many of their talents in entirety.
yes i remember that side, very impressive. however i think you had a very good starting squad and a couple of good subs only, it seems that right now there is more depth, especially in midfield.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
In terms of depth it's definately one of the better generations, we have good cover in almost all position apart from the problematic left wing. Talent wise, not even close to the sides of the early/mid 90's.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Actually, we seem to be quite strong in all departments now - Stewart Downing and Jerome Thomas are the answer to England's problems in left midfield, in fact Downing is due to receive his first cap in England's next friendly against Holland at Villa Park. In central midfield, we have Steven Gerrard and Lampard - with the likes of Scott Parker waiting in the wings. On the right, we have the explosive Shaun Wright-Phillips - who has impressed everytime he has donned the England colours. Joe Cole providing adequate reinforcement.
England possess the best group of centre backs in the world - no international team has the depth and quality in that position as England do. With Campbell and Ferdinand being the starters, other fullbacks of world class standard are on the fringes - John Terry, Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate, Gareth Southgate in particular. Is there any other international side with such a luxury in this particular position?

This generation doesnt quite measure up to the vast array of talent we posessed in the early 90's, however it is an incredibly talented, and youthful team. If they had proper management and played geniune 442 English football, not the tactless long ball sh1te that is Sven's trademark, we would be in with a good shout for winning the next World Cup.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
john terry isnt international class......yet and has put in a few dodgy performances in an england shirt and got off very lightly due to the press heaping the blame on beckham,james etc

·
Registered
219 Posts
hard to say. It's definitely the highest profile generation, and the highest paid and maybe the average general level is as good as the 60s. But England still can't seem to find players with the x-factor. The ones who cam make the difference. Rooney is one in terms of ability, but he's as likely to be ruined by all the things that go with English football.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
If they had proper management and played geniune 442 English football, .
You could argue that the typical English style of play hasn't won us much in the past either, I'm no fan of Sven, but his record speaks for itself, although i completely hate his brand of football.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
In a rare moment of agreement with Russell, that is spot on.
it's a great topic for a thread, but it's pretty sad that we've got no idea how good previous generations were because of the idiots managing the England team.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think argentina and italy have better center backs, but there's not probably enough evidence either way to tell...

Spirit-OF-SRT said:
Actually, we seem to be quite strong in all departments now - Stewart Downing and Jerome Thomas are the answer to England's problems in left midfield, in fact Downing is due to receive his first cap in England's next friendly against Holland at Villa Park. In central midfield, we have Steven Gerrard and Lampard - with the likes of Scott Parker waiting in the wings. On the right, we have the explosive Shaun Wright-Phillips - who has impressed everytime he has donned the England colours. Joe Cole providing adequate reinforcement.
England possess the best group of centre backs in the world - no international team has the depth and quality in that position as England do. With Campbell and Ferdinand being the starters, other fullbacks of world class standard are on the fringes - John Terry, Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate, Gareth Southgate in particular. Is there any other international side with such a luxury in this particular position?

This generation doesnt quite measure up to the vast array of talent we posessed in the early 90's, however it is an incredibly talented, and youthful team. If they had proper management and played geniune 442 English football, not the tactless long ball sh1te that is Sven's trademark, we would be in with a good shout for winning the next World Cup.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,659 Posts
Attila_the_Nun said:
70s was the best, but again we were unlucky with managers.
Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson, Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Charlie George, Peter Osgood, Rodney Marsh - all discarded in favour of talentless goody-two-shoes tossers
Superb post. These guys would just blow out any of today's players but there was a succession of conservative managers who didn't like them. It's really difficult to describe Marsh's dribbling skills but they were on the Brazilian level. I'd also add Malcom McDonald and Glenn Hoddle.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
some people mention early 90s as a special era for the NT. What do you guys mean? Wasn't it the tUrnip era? from September 1990 till the end of 1993 imo England NT put on some of the worst displays ever. Gascoigne was always injured or overweight, Lineker retired, Waddle and Beardsley continuously ignored, and Platty by himself wasn't enough to put a shine on Tony Cottee's or Keith Curle's (or whatever other crap represented England at that time) performances. Only Keegan's 2000 team comes close to the horror of the early 90s. And apart from Macca I can't recall too many young talents that weren't given a chance.
Mid-90s was a different story though, thanks to El Tel. Is this what you referring to or not?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
zico said:
some people mention early 90s as a special era for the NT. What do you guys mean? Wasn't it the tUrnip era? from September 1990 till the end of 1993 imo England NT put on some of the worst displays ever. Gascoigne was always injured or overweight, Lineker retired, Waddle and Beardsley continuously ignored, and Platty by himself wasn't enough to put a shine on Tony Cottee's or Keith Curle's (or whatever other crap represented England at that time) performances. Only Keegan's 2000 team comes close to the horror of the early 90s. And apart from Macca I can't recall too many young talents that weren't given a chance.
Mid-90s was a different story though, thanks to El Tel. Is this what you referring to or not?
i think most people are referring to 1990. not the early 90s which like u said were horrific. sinton, earl barret etc

still the mid 90s had some shockers as well - andy hinchcliffe ????

·
Registered
522 Posts
Spirit-OF-SRT said:
i'll actually have to agree on this... i've always looked at england, and scoffed at the fact that they couldn't defend... But currently England has the best depth in defence...

I'm not sure about the other positions though... Central midfield looks strong, but i'm not too impressed with the flanks, especially when the likes of SWP are just coming into their own at international level but yet to be truly tested...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts