Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EPL has clearly been the best league in the world for quite sometimes but we rarely see players there awarded Fifa player of the year or European player of the year. In recent years guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Henry were more than deserving but other players from certain leagues were preferred over them.

Do you see any bias against EPL?

·
Premium Member
31,455 Posts
Dunno if there's a bias, but it doesn't happen very often (Owen the only time this century), so I always find it amusing when people accuse the awards of EPL bias. I expect an EPL player to win both this year, but you can hardly argue that he clearly deserves to.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
no there isn't a bias, only Henry deserved at and that was arguable, Beckham never deserved his runner up awards.

there is plenty of voting stupidity though.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
no there isn't a bias, only Henry deserved at and that was arguable, Beckham never deserved his runner up awards.

there is plenty of voting stupidity though.
yeah only Henry from recent years deserved it, when owen won it he didnt deserve it anyway, so can we now say there's bias FOR the epl?

lampard and gerrard lost out to ronaldinho and kaka didnt they? and that was when both the latter players had won the champions league as well as having stellar seasons with their clubs.

·
Administrator
53,557 Posts
If they had out of this world greats often and were overlooked, I would agree. Otherwise generally EPL greats in the last decade like Bergkamp, Beckham, Lampard, Henry, and last years Ronaldo had to be satisfied with second and 3rd place in these awards, and quite rightfully. Only Henry had some case for him, and to a degree, Ronaldo last year.

Otherwise, it has been simply a case of the best of the absolute best not playing in EPL (so no real bias), though that has changed quite a bit since this millenium atleast.

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
2,465 Posts
Kaka deserved it though, same for Canna.
Kaka did but Cannavaro was a very poor choice.

As random as it is already to completely let your decision be based on a few weeks of football only (and then it took Italy until the semi finals before they had to play a decent team), it definitely becomes a joke when penalties did decide in the final. Had France won on penalties, Zidane or Henry would've been player of the year and Cannavaro probably wouldn't have ended in the top 3.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
no there isn't a bias, only Henry deserved at and that was arguable.
Bollocks was Henry the only one that deserved it. Roy Keane should have won it in '99. He was more deserving than Henry in '99 than Henry was at any time for Arsenal.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Rob,Lampard lost out to Ronaldinho in 2005.Newton what are you talking about Henry in 2004 is the only player in EPL who should of won these awards in 2004.But lost out to a player who did not win anything and a forward who scored less and assisted less.

I am giving my opion on the thread remember i am not the thread starter on this thread:pp

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I don't think there are all that many undeserved player of the year awards in recent years anyways.. There are a few debatable ones. Maybe Henry should have won it at some point for example. I dont care to think it through so much.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
EPL has clearly been the best league in the world for quite sometimes but we rarely see players there awarded Fifa player of the year or European player of the year. In recent years guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Henry were more than deserving but other players from certain leagues were preferred over them.

Do you see any bias against EPL?
No.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
No, because only recently have EPL had the best players in the world...
Henry and CR are the only deserving one in the last 10 or 15 years...Owen didn't deserve it

And lampard??..are you serious?

Bergkamp and Giggs were great players, but no competition to ronaldo, del piero (at their primes), ronaldinho, sheva, kaka and the likes

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
Rob,Lampard lost out to Ronaldinho in 2005.Newton what are you talking about Henry in 2004 is the only player in EPL who should of won these awards in 2004.But lost out to a player who did not win anything and a forward who scored less and assisted less.
What am I talking about? I'm saying that while Thierry Henry might have deserved it in 2004, Roy Keane deserved it even more in '99.

He was the heartbeat and everything went through him. Every game he played he was at least an 8 out of 10. Anybody that remembers that season should surely recognise how brilliant Keane was. Not to mention the team he led cleaned up that season.

hahahaha a defensive midfielder winning WPOY title...I'd like to see that ever happen :lala:
True, but Roy Keane was not a defensive midfielder until he around '03 where he had to play more defensively because he couldn't get about the pitch as much because injuries had taken their toll.

He was an all action midfielder during his best years and during the 98-99 season he was simply immense.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Newton, Keane used to get a 8 out of 10 every match? If so, i would like to say that Zanetti of Internazionale, also gets 8 out of 10 every match, even now( O.K maybe not 8, 7 sometimes). A fantastic player, but doesn't deserve to win the WPOTY. Keane is a fantastic player, but doesn't deserve the WPOTY.

·
Administrator
53,557 Posts
What am I talking about? I'm saying that while Thierry Henry might have deserved it in 2004, Roy Keane deserved it even more in '99.

He was the heartbeat and everything went through him. Every game he played he was at least an 8 out of 10. Anybody that remembers that season should surely recognise how brilliant Keane was. Not to mention the team he led cleaned up that season.
Keane got the recognition he deserved for his fantastic performances.

He did NOT deserve to win the WPOTY award over Rivaldo&Zizou :howler:

There's like half a dozen of players I would choose over him even if he was fantastic, because being fantastic in your set task does NOT mean worlds best player, hehe. I mean really, and its not even about bias against more defensive oriented player. I allways believed Maldini or Buffon should have won one atleast.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.