Xtratime Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lehendakari
2,025 Posts
I don't think so. The smaller teams such as Portugalete and Sestao may only have Basque players but this would be more for economic reasons rather than it being a policy.

As you probably already know, Real Sociedad used to only play Basques until the late 80's when they bought John Aldridge.

It's very rare nowadays for football clubs to such a policy, as far as I know Chivas of Mexico is the only other (they only have Mexican players).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think so. The smaller teams such as Portugalete and Sestao may only have Basque players but this would be more for economic reasons rather than it being a policy.

As you probably already know, Real Sociedad used to only play Basques until the late 80's when they bought John Aldridge.

It's very rare nowadays for football clubs to such a policy, as far as I know Chivas of Mexico is the only other (they only have Mexican players).
Interesting fact about Chivas...
When they started Chivas USA to play in MLS, they wanted to continue that tradition. The team fell so badly that after the first year they dumped it and now have a lot of non-Latino players on Chivas USA. I'm sure they keep the tradition at the mother club.

Athletic is unique. I guess that's why we like them.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Nope, Real Union does not have it as a policy, Numancia only has Spanish players but it is not a policy of theirs, were unique with this, the other teams are as you say Chivas who only use Mexicans, Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica recently applied this policy as well, the one who made it go through is the president Vergara who is also the president of Chivas. He is also the chairman of Chivas USA who had a similar policy. There probably are some Basque teams in lower divisions that has never used a foreigner but I doubt it is a policy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.