Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Fergie might just be on the brink of beating the odds, yet again.

The defence has been as good as it has been since the treble, and we finally have a keeper worthy of wearing the shirt.

The attack in full flow is quite simply breath taking. Rooney, Ronaldo, Park & Saha provide a lot of pace & energy, while RVN scores for fun.

Those who remember the '99 team will recall we had 4 strikers in Yorke, Cole, Sherringham & Solskjaer. It gave us the option of playing with electric pace (Yorke/Cole) or clinical finishing (Sherringham/Ole).

I can genuinely see those qualities in Rooney, Ruud, Saha and Rossi too.

Juventus couldn't cope with the pace of Giggs, Yorke & Cole in that historic victory - nothing seemed impossible, it was like there was a 6th gear, and a nitrous injection when we really needed it.

Ferguson has always prefered cavalier football built on the ethos of attacking & exciting passion, and i'd rather watch that any day of the week instead of some automonton bore-a-thon diplay from the likes of Chelsea's systematic, efficient teams.

It's not difficult to see similarities between this emerging team and the treble winning one, Fergie knows what he's doing.

Of course it goes without saying we still need a midfield, and that will be the vital, missing part of the puzzle.

Finishing within 10 points of Chelsea this season without proper CM's will be a good achievement, one that must be built upon with shrewd buys in the summer.

All great teams are well balanced, and there's an essence of that about the emerging squad. The '99 team had so much attacking energy, but Keane knew how to dictate the tempo of the game, when to impose pressure and when to back off. That's what we're missing right now.

Next season you'd expect United to be realistically challenging for titles again provided the midfield was addressed adequately.

:strong:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
if Saha keeps up this form, i think he still has to prove he can stay on form and injury free for an entire season.

midfield is the key to being a good side or a top class side though, i think it all depends on who you sign this summer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Things are definitely looking better than they were a few months ago. Saha's form has been fantastic bringing a different style of forward play which seems to suit Rooney and Ronaldo. Wes has been our best defender, and we now have defensive cover with Vidic, Evra, Pique etc. Just the midfield to sort out. Losing Scholes was a blow, but he'll be back, and with two quality signings in CM we should be able to provide a realistic treat to the Chav's next season. Just read in the evening news that Vidic was given 8/10 along with man of the match Saha. I thought he was ok after a shakey start. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jern Lizardhous said:
midfield is the key to being a good side or a top class side though, i think it all depends on who you sign this summer.
Very much so. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
I am confident Sir Alex will bring in the box to box midfielder and the holding midfielder we crave so much. :hopefull:

And David Gill did say something in January about our targets being involved in champions league knock out rounds so I suspect these were on his list;

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
BooM said:
i dont understand how he's turn to shit after playing like a god for everton
he hasn't turned to shit, just that he will never be a DM player, he wasn't for Everton or Denmark so why RM thought he was one is anybodys guess.

play Scholes as a DM and watch him turn to shit too. ;)

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Simba said:

:hopefull: :strong:

There's your 2nd Champions League, Fergie, on a plate. :horny:
I think we will deffo see Diarra or Gattuso at Old Trafford next season, probably coupled with Ballack if he decides to take a pay cut and come to New Trafford.

Chelsea will as we all know offer him a massive deal but there is still hope for us.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BooM said:
Ballack should come to UNited. Forget Chelsea, this is the future.
I just get the feeling he's a man who likes a challenge, his attitude is Cantona reincarnated.

Would be sorely dissapointed if he went to Chelsea, could understand him going to Madrid, though.

Chelsea Blue is not his colour.

Ballack has the spark necessary to ignite the United engine, that much i'm confident of.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
If the reports that he wants about 100k a week is true then I think yeah, we should pay him that. He is a world class player and he is on a free transfer.

I think the contract lenght might be a problem tho, he wants 5 years and I doubt United will give more than 3 or 4. :undecide:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheekymonkey said:
Do you think United would pay Ballacks wages?
They'd probably get quite close, you have to remember that they're not going to spend £20million buying him, he'll be on a free, so that helps into the budget.

The class of '92 required a spark in the form of Cantona - he brought all those young players together. Ballack is the most ideal player I can think of to emulate Cantona & gel the current youngsters together with natural leadership & influence, although he's certainly not the only option.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts