Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought this.

Imagine, there was only two top leagues, lets say the EPL and La Liga. How much greater would the quality be? The best players in the world basically only playing in these two leagues as opposed to five?

With so much talent scattered around, it brings the quality down a lot.

·
Registered
46,029 Posts
Yeah, the footballing gods should just designate one top league. Forget about basic economic principles and things like that. Best idea you've had yet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the footballing gods should just designate one top league. Forget about basic economic principles and things like that. Best idea you've had yet. :thumbsup:
Footy, is the only game out of the major sports, NBA, NFL, NHL, that has more than one top league. If any of those sports had 5 top leagues, the level of play would be embarrassing.

I don't disagree that this has to do with economics. Top players go where the money is, so if there is money in five different countries, they will all choose their individual path.

NONE OF THAT however, changes the point, that having five main leagues, dilutes the talent base considerably.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
It's not possible to have one or two top leagues.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not possible to have one or two top leagues.
Why not?

Create a European Super League

Western Euro Division
South Euro Division
North Euro Divison
East Euro Division

You have about top 10 clubs from each division. You can tie it to economic strength of the clubs. So the richest clubs, that can buy the best players, are there. The individual leagues would continue obviously but their top financial clubs would be in this super league.

Seeing as this would be the league for the richest clubs, the best players would be drawn there.

All the clubs in the super league could be guaranteed or have to qualify in last stages for CL places, for their individual country, while the rest had to earn it.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Why not?

Western Euro Division
South Euro Division
North Euro Divison
East Euro Division

You have about top 10 clubs from each division. You can tie it to economic strength of the clubs. So the richest clubs, that can buy the best players, are there. The individual leagues would continue obviously but their top financial clubs would be in this super league.

Seeing as this would be the league for the richest clubs, the best players would be drawn there.

All the clubs in the super league could be guaranteed or have to qualify in last stages for CL places, for their individual country, while the rest had to earn it.
Yeah, what a hideous idea. As if football isn't seperated by money enough as it is.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, what a hideous idea. As if football isn't seperated by money enough as it is.
Actually, money is the only thing thats holding footy together.

If we didn't have the Man U's, Real Madrid's, AC Milan's of the world, the talent would be even FURTHER diluted, and it already is.

There would not be any dominant teams, it be just one or two ok players on each team..that would be pretty brutal to watch.

·
Registered
46,029 Posts
Why not?

Western Euro Division
South Euro Division
North Euro Divison
East Euro Division

But since the best players tend to be from Brazil and Argentina, you should really have a Super League with (a) Northern Brazil Division; (b) Southern Brazil Division; (c) Northern Argentina Division; and (d) Southern Argentinian Division. The richest European club owners would simply shift operations there. Obama's rescue package would also allow fans from anywhere in the world to travel there for a match and be on time for work the next day.

Then Warren Buffett and Bill Gates would be statutorily required to develop time travel technology to pick up Pele in 1970 and transport him to 2009, where he would answer the question on the pitch about how he would fare today.

But the only real issue is this: what excuse would Adriano have for being late for training then?

·
Registered
24,250 Posts
Actually, money is the only thing thats holding footy together.

If we didn't have the Man U's, Real Madrid's, AC Milan's of the world, the talent would be even FURTHER diluted, and it already is.

There would not be any dominant teams, it be just one or two ok players on each team..that would be pretty brutal to watch.
Brutal as in awesome, yes! I loved the good old times when teams only were allowed three foreign players. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I think Serie A was way more interesting back then.

But as for your suggestion, why not just gather all of the best players. Divide them into Dream Team 1 and Dream Team 2. Then have them travel the World playing exhibition matches. They could face eachother up to 60 times/year. Wow, that much talent all in the same place. Amazing!

·
1st Tier Poster
50,808 Posts
I've always thought this.

Imagine, there was only two top leagues, lets say the EPL and La Liga. How much greater would the quality be? The best players in the world basically only playing in these two leagues as opposed to five?

With so much talent scattered around, it brings the quality down a lot.
wait a minute how is it different from the current situation then? :googly:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
But since the best players tend to be from Brazil and Argentina, you should really have a Super League with (a) Northern Brazil Division; (b) Southern Brazil Division; (c) Northern Argentina Division; and (d) Southern Argentinian Division. The richest European club owners would simply shift operations there. Obama's rescue package would also allow fans from anywhere in the world to travel there for a match and be on time for work the next day.

Then Warren Buffett and Bill Gates would be statutorily required to develop time travel technology to pick up Pele in 1970 and transport him to 2009, where he would answer the question on the pitch about how he would fare today.

But the only real issue is this: what excuse would Adriano have for being late for training then?
:D :thumbsup: :star:

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't matter where the top players come from, it matters that there is a central place where the money is. The top players naturally go there. As in ie super league

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
(Nothing personal mate but you've earned it)

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brutal as in awesome, yes! I loved the good old times when teams only were allowed three foreign players. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I think Serie A was way more interesting back then.
That is why it would likely never happen.

People are nostalgic about their own leagues to let that happen.

But in terms of level of play, it be a lot better.

·
Registered
24,250 Posts
That is why it would likely never happen.

People are nostalgic about their own leagues to let that happen.

But in terms of level of play, it be a lot better.
It wouldn't exactly be a lot better. It would be marginally better.

Unless you go with my suggestion of creating two Dream Teams.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
And CL is great. CL gets a lot more attention than the French or German leagues.

I want to see Benzema playing with the best against the best.
Yeah, great idea if you only ever watch football on TV mate. But I think you'll find that the German league actually gets plenty of attention from real fans who actually turn up at the ground to watch the game. Increasing gaps in funding will only make the game less competitive. And I don't know what CL football you've been watching, but it's been home to more than its fair share of the dullest matches I've ever seen. The FA Cup, on the other hand, has thrown up some brilliant games of football. It won't be long before a European league is dominated by the same few rich clubs, and you'll have exactly the same problems.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, great idea if you only ever watch football on TV mate. But I think you'll find that the German league actually gets plenty of attention from real fans who actually turn up at the ground to watch the game. Increasing gaps in funding will only make the game less competitive. And I don't know what CL football you've been watching, but it's been home to more than its fair share of the dullest matches I've ever seen. The FA Cup, on the other hand, has thrown up some brilliant games of football. It won't be long before a European league is dominated by the same few rich clubs, and you'll have exactly the same problems.
I watch the Bundesliga since there are a lot of players from my country there , so its nothing personal there.

I understand your point. I like seeing the giants vs the small clubs as well..so the Cups have its place no doubt.

I'm just saying, I'd like a central league where the best come to play. There will still be crappier clubs, there will still be lesser players, but on the whole, the level of footy would be very high.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts