Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the CL has lost some credibility or is'nt the same as what it was especially that anyone apart domestic title winners can with the Champions league.I think it is'nt the same to what it was especially that the Champions league was for only the Champions of the countries that they won the league in.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
In an ideal world the Champions League would be just that, the champions. The UEFA Cup should've been for 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for finishing thirty points behind the champions, it encourages mediocrity as a mentality: "it doesn't matter if we don't improve or get close to winning the title as long as we finish fourth every season."

Like that matters though, UEFA are only interested in the $$$ side of it.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me the Prestige of the tournament has gone down,In the past you win the domestic league and you get to fight for why it's called the Champions league.But now you can come 4th and win it,It's a bit degrading for the past winners in a sense.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I think Schumy is onto a point. But at the end, we want the best of the current clubs, and as shitty as they are, we need to have a competition with them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No this topic has a couple of idiots in it :rollani:

Yes the competition is tainted because there are teams who aren't champions and therefore not the very best in their country's league. It makes for more games and I've heard arguments that "2nd best in Italy is better than the best in Cyprus" but both the old European Cup and the Champions League as is have Champions of each country and all having 2nd, 3rd and 4th means is a longer competition with greater depth rather than greater strength.

It has also weakened the UEFA Cup considerably but that's a different matter

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
it has also taken the gloss off the F.A.Cup which is now regarded as a consolation prize.

the standard of UCL is higher now than the old European Cup, more great players etc, however domestic football in many poorer countries has suffered and the culture of football as a whole is a lot poorer than it was back when i was a lad. :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
But then they turn it into a mickey mouse league structure where you can lose two or even three games and still qualify!

I'm not convinced it is stronger, one or two rounds would see off the dross but even teams who finished fourth in their leagues are making the QFs so it can't be that strong

·
63,337 Posts
Owzat said:
But then they turn it into a mickey mouse league structure where you can lose two or even three games and still qualify!

I'm not convinced it is stronger, one or two rounds would see off the dross but even teams who finished fourth in their leagues are making the QFs so it can't be that strong
well if you look at all the great players in the world that are not involved then there is not that many, even 4th placed teams like Liverpool have world stars these days like Gerrard and Morientes at Liverpool, and Inter's players etc.

remember teams like Malmo used to get into finals if they got a decent draw. ;)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Well, the way CL works now makes rich richer & poor poorer...

It's great if you are supporter coming from Italy, UK, Germany, Spain & France and maybe few others, not if you are from eastent Europe and have to watch those teams buying off your best players year after year and your team not given equal chance to get as much money as big ones....

but it's just my rant.....

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
DUHHH

when the 4th in a domestic league wins the UCL then ofcourse in the 4th ranked team's journey they beat up some kickass teams!!!!

idiotic topic.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
When the word "Champions League" is mentioned ... Arsenal fans should stay away from it for argument's sake! :D

This competition is fine. This one is the best ever UCL since the 2002-3 edition that had Europe's cream participating in it mostly. This one is a notch better due to the quality of the starting 32.

·
63,337 Posts
Haroon said:
When the word "Champions League" is mentioned ... Arsenal fans should stay away from it for argument's sake! :D
we are top seeds every year, we dine at the top table of elite Europe :pp :D

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
If it's all about semantics and consternation that it's called "Champions League" when evidently not all the participating clubs are domestic champions, then just think of it as the "league" where the biggest "champions", as in star players, are on show.

It's the most spectacular tournament in the world quality wise. That's enough for me.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Queresma said:
this is an idiotic topic.
Because the idiot does'nt have an opinion just a criticism. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
IMO 2nd, 3rd, 4th place teams from the higher ranked leagues should be given the chance to qualify for the Champions League. But having a runner-up of a league qualify automatically for the group stage is ridicilious. The runner up in Spain is better than the champion of Poland, you say? I agree, but let them prove it, over two qualifying matches. If you eliminate another champion you deserve to be in the CL no matter if you are 2nd or 3rd in your league, but no free lunch should be given...make it more difficult for the non-champion teams to qualify, if they are that good, then they'll make it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
its simple explain how this comp would be better if barca, real, juve and inter among others where not part of it? giving oportunitys to 2nd, 3rd, 4th teams means nothing if they are no good, if they dont win they are eliminated, if they do beat europes finest than surly they deserve to be in the comp its as simple as that, valencia and arsenal are not among europes finest this year, last year they where it doesn't mean the following season they will be.

just tell me why chelsea vs barca in the CL was a bad thing and i will concede my point is idiotic and you guys are right.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
IMO, the return of Cup Winners Cup would give more importance to cup competitions, it could be a great decision from UEFA board, CL would have 16 teams in 4 groups of 4, just with the champions of each league...that would be the true C H A M P I O N S League...and UEFA Cup would be a great competition because if for example, Milan win Serie A and Roma win Coppa Italia, we still had Juve, Inter, Lazio for UEFA Cup...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts