Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite curious.

Is the Brazilian Press and critics apologising to the man who made this happen? After all the criticism and bashing of the coach and the team (Rivaldo and a few others), how are they feeling?

Few ppl believed in them before the WC started. And now they r probably eating their words. :D

And what about Romario (I don't have anything against him), Do the press still think he should have been in the team?

I hope the ppl are giving credit to Big Phil for the WC.:)

Members leaving in Brazil plz comment.:)

Bye

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Scolari's critics...

Well, the press is mostly pretending that they never slammed Felipao and that they always knew he was a great commander. :rolleyes: Not really surprising. The clueless media will have to swallow their bile and applaud Scolari -who, unlike Zagallo, apparently isn't interested in 'I-told-you-so' or in giving responses to critics; Big Phil knows that his name is already in the history books... ;) unlike the names of his critics, most of whom are pathethic and uninformed mediocrities.

Pele is particularly cynical, as he was the biggest critic of them all, fiercely attacking Scolari and the playes every time he had a chance. He said Ronaldo was finished as a player, he said Roberto Carlos was overrated, and that Rivaldo was a fraud. He is also pretending he 'knew all along' that we would be champs.

These critics have more vanity than understanding - and yes, I include Pelé in this, the King who apparently can't keep his feet out of his mouth. As I type this, Pelé is already appearing on Brazilian TV Coca-cola ads, saying 'Brazil is the greatest and your support made it all possible'. ;) Amazing how the world goes around, huh?

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Garrincha,
That's unfortunately typical of the medias worldwide. It happened to Jacquet who was literally lynched by the media, who even didn't hesitate of treating him not only as an incompetent coach, but also as an ignorant and incompetent man! Guess what? after he won the cup, all the medias were on his knees, praising him as he were the greatest ever. But Jacquet did one thing that the media cannot take: he said: "i will never forgive you" and he meant it.

Now onto Brasil and the critics about some of the players you mentionned Garrincha (ex: Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos particularly) what i will say here may feel provocative but no need to deny it. I perfectly rememeber even some of the old timers in this forum saying exactly that. Saying such things as "Rivaldo is a disgrace to the nation" and that "RC is overrated". I remember that. Even prior to the WC, some people in here were saying that Rivaldo has nothing to do in here and that he was a disgrace. Few were the ones who said Rivaldo will be able to show his real talent for the Seleccao in the WC....:eek:

So, it's not only those clueless medias that are to blame; even us, passionate fans, tend to get carried away some times and are easily influenced by them. Morale of this: it's not only the medias who should apologize to the Scolari or the players targeted but also the fans. We fans at Xtime are faithful reflection of the fans worldwide and in Brasil. So everyone should be grateful to Scolari and apologize to Rivaldo and Roberto Carlos who once and for all proved their real worth by playing a vital role in the conquest of la Penta. I was one of those who criticized Rivaldo during the Eliminatorias, (perhaps not as vehemently and as intensly as others) even tough i was hoping, praying and convinced that he would produce what he's truly capable of during the WC. :)

So all in all, everyone should be grateful to them and apologize to them all.:)

Obrigado Scolari!:)
Obrigado Rivaldo!:)
Obrigado R. Carlos!:)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
by Juca Kfouri

You're right, fans often go wrong too - we're only humans, I guess. :) Here's an article by Juca Kfouri, one of Brazil's leading sports journalists (and someone I don't always agree with):

Let's Get The Sixth One, Brasil!
by Juca Kfouri

Our sixth World Cup will have to be claimed at their home, Germany, in four years. No greater challenge.

Because the fifth Cup is ours, the ultimate proof of our players' ability, even those who aren't brilliant but who are stars around the globe, like the so-often-criticized (by me, by me, I admit it!!) three defenders - successful in Germany (Lucio), France (Edmilson), and Italy (Roque Junior). Ah, and also successful in South Korea and in Japan!

Because they were three giants in the final match, denying almost any chances of scoring to the Germans. The chances they did have, one on a freekick and another near the end of the game, Marcos stopped, this 'keeper who shone also in the decisive moment, unlike Oliver Kahn - who failed miserably on Ronaldo's first goal, and who couldn't save the 2nd goal even if there were two of him.

I the Brazilian Seleção was the only one ever to win the WC outside their own continent, now they're also the only one two be champions outside of their continent twice - and in two different continents, Europe in 1958 and Asia 44 years later.

The Germans fought bravely for the ball, but Rivaldo demonstrated that sometimes it's better to leave it untouched, like in the genius 'non-touch' on the second and definitive goal.

After four World Cups raised, it seemed impossible to create a new gesture to celebrate the newest conquest. But the man who holds the record for consecutive World Cup finals played, the captain Cafu, did it: high, powerful and inspired.

Roberto Carlos, marked closely, was almost unable to support the attack; but he performed with perfect seriousness and at last managed, in this Cup, to be for Brazil what he is for Real Madrid.

Gilberto Silva and Kleberson became the Golden Boys, together with Ronaldinho Gaucho, who delivers the ball as if he was passing on a precious ring.

Two separate chapters go to Ronaldo and Rivaldo, the most precious bets ever made by Scolari - the man who, just like Parreira in 1994, won the World Cup just the way he said he would, his own way - just as criticized as Parreira was in '94.

Rivaldo was the man of the sudden and decisive inspirations; and Ronaldo was the hero of willpower, the one who deserved victory the most, the player who never hesitated or bowed his head, so much that in 1998 he demanded to play a final he was unfit to play. Ronaldo, who defied sports medicine, according to the very French doctor who operated on his knee.

The Brazilian attack scored, in one match, twice as many goals as the German defense had suffered in the entire World Cup. Of course they'll try to get back at us when they host the Cup, in four years. But they'll have to eat a lot of potatoes to reach the Fifth World Cup because, as the rest of the world, they don't even know what it's like to be a Tetra (four-times-winner).
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i don't think there's any reason to apologize. the fact is this: in the qualifiers, brazil was terrible. rivaldo was terrible in many games. as was roberto carlos and many of the others.

and the media were perfectly correct to criticize felipao and the brazilian team before the world cup. look at what brazil did in the copa america! before the world cup, brazil was losing to teams like honduras, ecuador, bolivia, etc. we were right to criticize them, and we don't owe them any apology.

the brazilian team is who should be apologizing! the players should be saying sorry for being so disgusting before the world cup.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I am all for having one's opinion aired but I really do think that life would be a lot easier if the tecnico had the support of the press. The team and squad displayed a unity that was sadly lacking in the press. More perfect world stuff but the squad will need everyone to be behind them if they are to win in 2006 (assuming they qualify - which they should not have to do).

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
not necessarily sao taffarel. Every time we won a world cup, Brazil left the country with everyone not trusting the team.

In 2000 everyone thought we would win the olympics (excpet me) and we lost it.

Brazilian players need the pressure to perform, otherwise they wont take things serioulsy and will already think they are champions and start making silly dribbles and not giving 100%.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
It was bad,

Military dictatorship, Manager fired by the president 2 months before the cup started, Pele was not UNTIL THEN on top form and Saldanha (the previous manager) wanted to BENCH HIM:eek: :eek:

Then Zagallo took over, put Dada Maravilha who the president asked for, and he din't want to put Tostao in the team. THen the leaders of the team Pele, Gerson and Carlos Alberto got Zagallo to the side and put him in the wall: "you put Tostao in this team or else"...... then it was just happiness....pity that i was not born yet!;) :cool: :D

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Thamks for the information. I read somewhere that Gerson - the Parrot - was the true leader of the team - when he was not smoking he was talking!!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
yeah,
During all his career it was like that. To me he is the most knowledgable guy of football in the whole world. When he comments a game he sees things way before anybody else, and starts complaining about the manager down in the pitch that don't make the changes and can't see the things he see!

The guy is a genius!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Tostao is a physician, and also a sports analyst. He abandoned football for two decades after an eye injury forced him to quit his carreer too early. Eventually he got over it, and now he's a well-respected commentator. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts