Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i personally feel spanish football is a bit too much of barcelona n real.no other club can come even close to them to match their fame n glamour n hence are not consistent in their chase.every league has top 4-5 teams who are more or less equally supported like inter,ac,juve n roma for italy and liverpool,manu,arsenal et all.but laliga only really has two sets of fans.either the real ones or the ones who support barca.i feel this is hurting laliga a lot.
wat abt u all

·
minasstr f posterior
10,246 Posts
valencia r a top team too but of late havent been consistent enough .........but maybe u r right that there r only 2 traditional heavyweights in la liga but that means teams like villarreal and osasuna surprise everybody and its great watching these smaller teams rub on the big ones

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup but there is not permanent 3rd team in laliga in terms of popularity hence the league suffers when one of the big two are out of form

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Yes it is.

But the Italian League is too much about Milan, Inter and Juve and the English League is too much about Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United. What's new?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Sorry man but you don't know anything about Spanish football.

Atlético, Athletic, Valencia or Betis, for example, have also a big fan base, and even a team like Deportivo won the league five years ago. Obviously, the big teams are Barcelona and Real, but this is the same in the rest of the leagues, only England IMO has a bigger set of big clubs, but that's only thanks to Abramovich. In fact, I only consider Liverpool and Manchester to be the real giants, and they're inferior to Barça and Real IMO.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Man City are all traditionally much bigger clubs than Chelsea.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Setzer said:
Sorry man but you don't know anything about Spanish football.

Atlético, Athletic, Valencia or Betis, for example, have also a big fan base, and even a team like Deportivo won the league five years ago. Obviously, the big teams are Barcelona and Real, but this is the same in the rest of the leagues, only England IMO has a bigger set of big clubs, but that's only thanks to Abramovich. In fact, I only consider Liverpool and Manchester to be the real giants, and they're inferior to Barça and Real IMO.
wat i mean to say is that except the top 2 the other clubs arent really popular.as an example jus check out the popularity of valencia n liverpool n u will know what i mean

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
rohitdinho said:
wat i mean to say is that except the top 2 the other clubs arent really popular.as an example jus check out the popularity of valencia n liverpool n u will know what i mean
This is a wrong comparison, because it's like comparing Barça's popularity with Spurs' (for example).

In terms of social support, the order is...
1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Atlético Madrid
(from here, I start to have doubts, but it must be one of these...)
4. Betis, Athletic, Valencia

In fact, the problem is in Atlético Madrid, who used to be always a favourite and they're in deep crisis since the late 90s. Until 1990, Barcelona had won 10 Ligas and Atlético 8.

In any case, in the last 10 years, La Liga has had 5 different champions:
2005- Barcelona
2004- Valencia
2003- Real Madrid
2002- Valencia
2001- Real Madrid
2000- Deportivo
1999- Barcelona
1998- Barcelona
1997- Real Madrid
1996- Atlético Madrid

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
I think that the problem is the whole league, it's in some sort of crisis.

P.S.

Remember the Deportivo - Milan Game? ;)

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Koeman4 said:
This is a wrong comparison, because it's like comparing Barça's popularity with Spurs' (for example).

In terms of social support, the order is...
1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Atlético Madrid
(from here, I start to have doubts, but it must be one of these...)
4. Betis, Athletic, Valencia

In fact, the problem is in Atlético Madrid, who used to be always a favourite and they're in deep crisis since the late 90s. Until 1990, Barcelona had won 10 Ligas and Atlético 8.

In any case, in the last 10 years, La Liga has had 5 different champions:
2005- Barcelona
2004- Valencia
2003- Real Madrid
2002- Valencia
2001- Real Madrid
2000- Deportivo
1999- Barcelona
1998- Barcelona
1997- Real Madrid
1996- Atlético Madrid

good point about atletico.....and they got shit because of claudio ranieri, so in fact it is ranieri who is responsible for the downfall of la primera! its hardly a news flash that barca and RM are the two biggest teams by some distance, obviously some other sides have some good support but they are still some distance behind. id be suprised if any teams goes 40 odd league games unbeaten in spain, in england the lower teams are very very poor, in spain they can still beat the barcas, RM's and valencias on their day

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
rohitdinho said:
I think that for the International press it is only about these two clubs.

As for Liverpool popularity, I do think they are more popular than Valencia, but you also have to consider that you are probably reading the press in English. If you start reading the press in Spanish, you would read more about Valencia than about Liverpool.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
barça said:
I think that for the International press it is only about these two clubs.

As for Liverpool popularity, I do think they are more popular than Valencia, but you also have to consider that you are probably reading the press in English. If you start reading the press in Spanish, you would read more about Valencia than about Liverpool.
You'r wrong, you cant compare Liverpools popularity with that of Valencia, specialy after the 2005 CL. Liverpool are the most succesfull club in england and know well in the whole world. While valencia has won the league 6 times, Liverpool won it 18 times, valencia has 1 CL while Liverpool has 5 etc.
Pehaps there's more talk about Valencia in Spain but not in the world ;).

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Deo said:
You'r wrong, you cant compare Liverpools popularity with that of Valencia, specialy after the 2005 CL. Liverpool are the most succesfull club in england and know well in the whole world. While valencia has won the league 6 times, Liverpool won it 18 times, valencia has 1 CL while Liverpool has 5 etc.
Pehaps there's more talk about Valencia in Spain but not in the world ;).
You agree with me, yet I am wrong?:confused: I said that Liverpool were more popular;)

But, you pick up a paper in Chile, Peru, Venezuela, Ecuador or any other Spanish speaking country and the Spanish league, and thus Valencia, get the majority of space. The English league will be covered fourth, after the Italian and their own national league.

·
Registered
65,173 Posts
Nearly every league is dominated by no more than 3-4 teams. If u guys want parody get a salary cap. The NFL in America used to be dominated by a handfull of teams and with the salary cap all that changed. Smaller markets are getting media attention and more success.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts