Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being all that clued up on Israeli Footy, would you all agree Ronny was Israel's best export ?

Berkovic seems to be in hot persuit of that title as well.

:)

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
I dunno, but he obviously was among our most "european" players, not only in the way he plays but with his professional attitude. i've had the pleasure of reading an interview with him a while ago, and he reckons that the only Israeli player capable of progressing today (apart from Benayoun) is Idan Tal, mainly because of the fact he got patience to deal with his benching at Everton. well, i got a bit offtopic....:D anyways, regarding your question i don't think i have lived enough years to determine such a fact so i will leave this to others at this forum, but if i had to choose i'd mention these names as well, with Revivo being the outsider although i guess Shpigler worths a mention as well.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think someone should tell Idan Tal that just because Everton have a blue and white strip, doesn't mean he should play for them :) :D

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
:D

Unfortunately even then he doesn't get much playing time. i am counting on him giving a few great performances and then moving to a bigger club...but for now he's got the honour of playing at Liverpool's 3rd best team after Liverpool and Liverpool reserves. ;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I would not entirely agree with you there. I will root for Berkovic. Ronny when he played for Liverpool was initially electrifying. I still remember one of the goals he scored for Liverpool against Man City (a hattrick that day, if I am not wrong). But after that, with numerous injuries and loss of form he faded away and played for a couple of clubs after that before fading away. Berkovic, despite playing for less glamorous clubs, have shine through and shown that he is quite a midfield mastero. His potential was not developed fully, I feel. He still has some way more to go, but I feel that he deserves more mention than Rosenthal, even though the latter was the first to play for a top European Club.:)

paw;)

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I think Revivo was the best export, you don't have to play in England to be the best you know. Revivo has left a mark in Spain, and in his 2nd season with Celta Vigo they've almost reached a Champions' League spot, but ended up in UEFA in the last round.
He led Fenerbahce to end the Galatasaray championship streak in Turkey and was the first Israel to appear and score in the Champions' League. Additionally, he gives a good name to the country, I think he is our best export (and I've seen Rosenthal).

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Nice to see you here paw and Fred:)

Yoav, i think that some of the people won't mention Revivo from the simple reason they feel he doesn't give all he's got for the National team. when you look at his career, his success at the club level was bigger then the one he had at the National team. When we played our crucial games (to save the 5:0 against Austria), he always screwed up in this way or another. Most of the people see Revivo as "the people's champ" (there wasn't any other way to express it, sorry WWF fans ;) ) mostly because he is friendlier then Eyal (or so i think ;)) and they can't accept it when he fails. BTW, I am being shocked how i failed not to mention Eli Ohana, he played for smaller clubs in smaller leagues, but beating Ajax in the Cup Winners Cup final is something to be proud of. As for Avi Cohen Fred, he played for Liverpool in the 80's and you could read about here.

Anyways, i guess it could never be determined who was the best ever. And i hope we'll have more serious contenders in the following years:)

·
Registered
773 Posts
In a word....

No! The main change in Israeli football came when we were accepted to UEFA in 1992. You could almost say that everything before that was the stone age. Ronny Rosenthal would not even make the bench for our national team now! Our national team coach from 1992-2000, Shlomo Sharf had many faults but he always took the 11 most skilled players available. Rosenthal was the type of player who could run 70 yards with the ball *in a straight line*. He had very minimal skills. Berkovic was more talented than him even when he was a youth player for Maccabi Haifa. Idan Tal is *MUCH* more skilled whether he plays for Everton or not. Maccabi Tel Aviv's Avi Nimni is a much better player. And Fenerbahce player Haim Revivo is in another universe from Rosenthal. He is the player that I would recommend to watch. Very highly skilled player!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I almost forgot.....

Yossi Benayoun! He has the potential to be the best Israeli player ever. Maccabi Haifa attacking midfielder/striker. 21 years old and was player of the year last year. He is not an "export" yet but he will be next year. It is just a question of which team in Europe will buy him and then it is all up to him.....

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
To be honest i fear Benayoun might end up like Alon Mizrahi or Berkovic...he needs to control himself more, his temper could sometimes be a real problem. (imagine some bully like Hierro instead of Israel Cohen in the "spitting incident" from last season and you'll understand what i am talking about....) other then that, can't disagree. he's a real talent.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Rosenthal will be remembered for two main things:

1. his solo goal against Azarbaijan
2. his miss against Aston Villa when playing for Liverpool.

I don't think he is to answer the question. Berkovic is my favourite.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What about Eli Ohana.

He won the Cup winners cup with KV Mechelen in 1988.
he attracted intersest from an Italian club (I think it was Fiorantina ) but KV Mechelen didn't want to sell him.

Under the bosman rule, he would have had a completely different career.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Welcome Tapie, hope you'll stay here alot:)

Anyways like i said, Ohana really worths mentioning. the achievement was even bigger when you take into consideration the fact he played for a low profile club (they're in the 2nd division today i think). he also played for Sporting Braga in Portugal, but these 2 clubs were the only ones he played for in his career apart from of course, Beitar. :proud:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I can't really say because ihaven't seen all the Israeli player who played in Europe
but i think Berkovich and Revivo are better then Rosental(i didn't saw a lot of rosental games)

i hope that soon Benayun will be the best

·
International
9,526 Posts
It has to be said though that for a while, maybe a season, when Liverpool were struggling in the early 90s, Rosenthal (and to a slightly lesser extent, Molby) were THE creative driving force keeping Liverpool in the top 10. Thats how it seemed at the time, anyway.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Who were the big name in Liverpool at that time?

·
International
9,526 Posts
LOL...I'm probably not the best one to be answering this.

It was a funny time for the pool, as I recall. The great team of the 80s had been allowed to grow old together, and the team went into a decline in all areas of the pitch. Some players were introduced that were successes ie McManaman, Fowler, Redknapp, whilst others disappered off the map ie Nicky Tanner, Hooper, Dave Speedie etc. But Ronny did a reasonable sort of job in that period, I thought, and carried a lot of weight on his shoulders during what was one of the most turbulent times in the club's history. He was something of a players player. Always there for a pass when a teammate was under pressure. And capable of playing in a variety of areas as well. He reminded me a bit of McClair in some respects. Anyway. Ruven my friend, the best people to ask ar Raanan or RazorUK. They're the experts in this particular area.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
Some players were introduced that were successes ie McManaman, Fowler, Redknapp, whilst others disappered off the map ie Nicky Tanner, Hooper, Dave Speedie etc. But Ronny did a reasonable sort of job in that period, I thought, and carried a lot of weight on his shoulders during what was one of the most turbulent times in the club's history. He was something of a players player. Always there for a pass when a teammate was under pressure. And capable of playing in a variety of areas as well. He reminded me a bit of McClair in some respects. Anyway. Ruven my friend, the best people to ask ar Raanan or RazorUK.
They're the experts in this particular area.
And you excluded me, Freddie. :mad: :D

I am not sure of what you wrote about Ronny actually represents the role he plays for the team from what I can remember. I always thought of him more as the man behind the front two. His finishing is better than most midfielders but poorer than most forwards. His skill level is not high. Basically, I felt that he was brought in to sit on the bench and score the odd goal for us when we do need one or two, or to keep the frontman on their toes. Of course, we would not have tons of problems with goals then cos we have Rush and then Fowler came onto the scene. I remember him for the hat-trick he struck for us in the win over Charlton. But after that, his career went downhill from there. Injuries and loss of form curtailed his progress and the final straw was the miss at Villa Park. Very soon, he was on his way out.:(

paw;)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I seen a couple of games by rosenthal. I think he is a sensational athlete and he got israel to where it is now. not only in England but in the international team. He was a terrific player and i loved his skills, BUT....

His carrer was Started HIGH and ended low.......

He started in Belgium and he got a lot of attention, then Liverpool took him until 1996. He was later moved to Watford and by the end of the 1998/1999 season (please, someone clarify it for me) he retired and the team was relegated. That was the last time Watford ever touched Premeirship was with Rosenthal.

But still, i don't belive ANY of the Israeli players made it to where i would call them 'legendary superstars!' don't get me wrong or misunderstood.. I love to death every single player of Israel who plays abroad, i even route for that certain team (unless there from a country i dislike, than forget it...). I think to be a legendary player you must be in a superstart team (im not being greedy), and to lead this superstart team to a 1st place or a championchip..for example.....Paris St. Germain new superstar is lets say "reuven Atar" and they won Uefa cup and both state and leauge cups :p

But i do belive that all are players have shown that Israel has talent and are very skillful players and deserved to be respected and loved for there passion of soccer. Look at Berkovic, he is a 'elohim' in Man. city....he owns each and every game he plays. Avi Tikva does a good job in Switzerland, and revivo makes headlines in istanbul :). So what if we don't got like 200 players playing internationally, let the STUPID BOSNIANS laugh at us, because one time, i chatted with a bosnian who made fun of Israeli football saying we don't have any international players that are noted, and Bosnia has player(s) in both R. Madrid and B. Munich. So i responded by saying "How much time do they get on the feild"

He was silent!

EL EL ISRAEL!
ISRAEL -

EURO 2004 CHAMPIONS!!
WE WILL CONQUER! WE HAVE PASSION! WE ARE DETERMINED!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts