1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
YSE!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Of course. One of the greatest players ever. Arguably the main guy of the 2002 wc team.
The only brazilians I would rate above him since 1900 are Ronaldo and Romario. Ronaldinho was too average for the NT to be rated above Rivaldo.
The great Tostão once said that Rivaldo was no worse than any of the 1970 wc brazilians stars excluding Pele.

Rivaldo would be the best player ever of several respectable football countries.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course. One of the greatest players ever. Arguably the main guy of the 2002 wc team.
The only brazilians I would rate above him since 1900 are Ronaldo and Romario. Ronaldinho was too average for the NT to be rated above Rivaldo.
The great Tostão once said that Rivaldo was no worse than any of the 1970 wc brazilians stars excluding Pele.

Rivaldo would be the best player ever of several respectable football countries.
excellent post ,he was definitely the main guy in 2002 , Scolari also said that,he made Ronaldo look good and won us important games,he was also good in 98wc
amazing player ,
never should have gone to Milan.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
Silly stupid question to ask really. :rollani:

I mean to even suggest asking whether he was a 'Brazilian legend' is ludicrous and shows a lack of footballing knowledge by the thread starter.

I understand that his style of football is not to everyones liking, and his somewhat introvert personality is not the norm for Brazilians, but no one and I mean NO ONE should really question RIVALDO'S legendary status.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my question was about going down in the BRASILIAN football history as Legend ,this status is not very easy to achieve,no matter how good they play for their clubs.

and don't comment about others football knowledge without actually understanding them

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I mean to even suggest asking whether he was a 'Brazilian legend' is ludicrous and shows a lack of footballing knowledge by the thread starter.
Of course he is a legend
and I agree with this comment :)
We are talking about a player who was vital for
winning WC 2002.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
my question was about going down in the BRASILIAN football history as Legend ,this status is not very easy to achieve,no matter how good they play for their clubs.

and don't comment about others football knowledge without actually understanding them
Wait a minute, Rivaldo has reached two WC finals where he was the most outstanding player of both those tournaments. Even outshining the Ronaldo's and the Ronaldhinho's.

And you, Mr. Football knowlege, should well know his contribution in the WC02 (scorer of 5 goals and setting up countless others). Both Scolari and Maradona declaring Rivaldo as the best player of the tournament. He should really have cemented his place in the Brasilian Legend list after that victory.

He has an impressive record internationally scoring 34 goals in 74 matches. Not bad for an AM.

His stint at Barcelona where he played his best football and duly won his WPOY in 99.

So how much more should a player do to justify his place in the BRASILIAN football history:confused: ....How many women he beds?? or how many beers he can drink in a single evening???

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Wait a minute, Rivaldo has reached two WC finals where he was the most outstanding player of both those tournaments. Even outshining the Ronaldo's and the Ronaldhinho's.
Rivaldo was not the most outstanding player in our 1998 campaign, that was Ronaldo.

And there's no need to attack Kaiser for asking a reasonable question - especially considering that his answer happens to be the same as yours. It IS a valid question, because Brasil has many footballing legends. Great players who would be legendary for other nations that produced fewer stars, have to stand out among giants in here.

His stint at Barcelona where he played his best football and duly won his WPOY in 99.
IMO the FIFA WPOY award isn't such a reliable measure for "legendary" greatness as defined in this thread because it was only created in 1991, and therefore it missed countless great players who would've deserved such recognition before that year. I could list many Brasilian players from before 1991 who shone just as brightly for their clubs (and for longer periods) as Rivaldo did in Barcelona, and who didn't get the WPOY award simply because it didn't exist yet. Those are the players who Rivaldo is being compared to when one discusses whether he was a "Brasilian Legend" or not: legendary stars like Falcão, Zizinho, Ademir da Guia, Leonidas da Silva, Didi, Reinaldo, Careca, Gerson, Evaristo de Macedo, Jair da Rosa Pinto, Tesourinha, Friedenreich, Julinho Botelho, Canhoteiro, Leivinha, Tostão and many others.

Rivaldo was a superb player, yes, but it's not at all preposterous to ask if he was in fact a legend for a nation as blessed with superb players as Brasil. I think he was a legend, and so does Kaiserh, but it's a very reasonable question to ask.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
never should have gone to Milan.
You cannot really attribute his decline due to his move to Milan. In all fairness, his first 6 months with Milan was good and he has contributed some match-winning displays before personal problems (mainly his divorce) and injuries affected his performances. His playing time was further reduced in the following season with the arrival of Kaka in his 2nd season and his contract was terminated with mutual consent.

Back on topic: Rivaldo is definitely a Brasilian legend :star:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You are right
one can pose the question
and actually, an interesting question
depends on what one means with legendary
where the line goes for real legendary status
for periods he has been questioned
especially after the 96 Olympics
but after that he really has been great and underestimated
and the ending of his career was sad.
One might ask which of the players of
the 2002 team will become legendary
and what one means with legendary.
To me Cafu,Ronaldo and also Rivaldo is clear.
Roberto Carlos? well he is a legend
but mostly for wreckless defending and his shooting is quite overrated..
Ronaldinho Gaucho, this was the start of what was suppose to be his legend but after 2006 things are getting questionable.
Lucio will hopefully also become a legend.
Marcos was immense in this particular World Cup, one of the best keepers in one WC for Brasil...
Also Roque Junior was actually a surprisingly great defender in this particular wc.

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
Rivaldo was not the most outstanding player in our 1998 campaign, that was Ronaldo.
Rivaldo was amongst the best players of the tournament. He made just as much of an impact on Brazils road to the final as Ronaldo.

I'm also wondering, if Rivaldo was the one having a seizure before the final, would the Brazilian fanatical fans and the media have been as understanding and sympathetic as they were to Ronaldo. Me thinks not, Rivaldo would have been crucified and made the scapegoat for the defeat.

And there's no need to attack Kaiser for asking a reasonable question - especially considering that his answer happens to be the same as yours. It IS a valid question, because Brasil has many footballing legends. Great players who would be legendary for other nations that produced fewer stars, have to stand out among giants in here.
In that case I apologise to Kaiser for coming across as too forthright :)

Is IT a valid question though. I find it hard that anyone can doubt Rivaldo's legacy. He has achieved everything there is in football whilst playing the type of football that is renowned with great Brazilian footballers. He COULD change the outcome of a match single handedly and COULD score from anywhere on the pitch from 30 yards or bicycle kicks on the edge of the penalty box. He had it all, causing fear in opposition teams when he had the ball. Maybe his career ending could have been better written :moan:

Anyway personally he was the Zico of the 90's, having approximately the same capabilities but just less popular

I just feel that he does'nt receive the same recognition as other great Brazilians.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Rivaldo was a scapegoat regarding the Olimpics in question. Football is a team game, you can never excuse only one player for a defeat.. Even if one misses a penalty or scores anown goal, heavens forbid, where were all his team mates to score other goals, in the right net?
About Milan. It is true that his divorce influenced him very much, and even more the separation from his children, he was a family man, they were his world. Furthermore, Anceloty did not want to use him any more, when Kaka came and was titular immediately, when he was not even ready IMHO. He began to be the great Kaka after. Rivaldo asked to go, he could stay and receive a large salary for nothing, enjoying the night life of Milan, but he is not the type. He wanted to play, moved to Cruzeiro, called by Luxa, stayed too short and left for respect for Luxa (for me he did not need to do that, he could stay there and after some time be himself again. Especially after Alex has gone.) His leaving of Cruzeiro provoked his losing the place in the NT. Too early. He never got called again, even after his wonderful period in Greece. CAP said: We do not need you any more, we have KAka. Kaka was not ready, IMHO.
Rivaldo was even ready to be only part of the group, to play several minutes as a sub and even not to play, just to be with the group and give some of his experience to the younger players. For me, CAP was afraid to call him, although Rivaldo was the one at risk, if he would have been there and the result was as bad, he would have been blamed for it, on the other hand, his experience and dedication, as well as his right way of life for an athlete, could help the team. We shall never know

Now ,about his capacity to score from every position, it is true, he scored 2 goals form the center of the pitch the first in Mogi Mirin, the other , more famous, in Barcelona against Atletico Madrid. I do not even need to mention the chilenas (Bicycle kicks) The most famous the one against Valencia, another was against Valiadolid, there were more.

Free kicks.. There were many.

Assists, also. Esepecially in Greece and the NT.

Headers, Rivaldo had a great headwork, His jump was excelent, he was high 1.86, sufficient to score frome corneres and defend sometimes, avoid a goal of the rival, saving with his head from the line.

RG admitted twatching his videos and try to imitate his lances. He succeeded imitqate some of his lances, and waqs given much more credit than the original..

Now, his time in Greece. THere we saw a mature Rivaldo, more of a team player, a real no. 10, a leader, which he was not in Barcelona. Hhe overcame some of his shortcomings, IMHO. Of course his legs sometime betrayed him, they were not very healthy from the start. He played in spite of his handycape (He suffered some accident whe he was 14 and his right leg was massacred..and his legs were O legs, because of lack of nutrition)

About this right leg. I saw some (few) goals that he scored with the bad leg, the right. In Greece were more.
His legend as a Braailian player began for me at least, in the game against Denmark in the 98 mundial. THan I discovered him. THe world discovered him In Barça- And afterwards he was elected the best in the world, was maltreated by Van Gaal, did a wonderfull MUndial in 2002, and it was after Barça's doctors reveal an article saying that Rivaldo's knees are finished and he could not endure a Mundial/ Rivaldo not only endured the Mundial, he won it, together with the other Rs and thanks to Scolari.

After that , when he returned to Barça as pentacampeon, he was humiliated there, and shown the back door. Riquelme did not fulfilled his duty to be the real 10.. Not his fault, To say the truth.

This post is way too long. Rivaldo got over Rose and the humiliation in Milan only when he married ELISA, having more children with her, and bringing his children from Rose to live with him in Greece.
he was happy in Greece most of the time, Happy in Uzbekistan most of the time, artilheiro this year, He scored some wonderfull goals in Greece, you can go back to the post Samba in the port. and to the thread of Rivaldo in this forum now.

In Brasil he will be remembered mostly by the 2002 Mundial, and by the crucual goals in the eliminatories for te same, He created the goals against Venezuela, for example. (The last game that secured the qualification)
He helped Ronaldo to score some of the goals, score some himself, had good colaboration with RG, for me he is a legend, you are entitled for another opinion of course,

He is also remembered in Palmeiras, the dream team Palmeiras winning many titles, as far as I know.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

IMO the FIFA WPOY award isn't such a reliable measure for "legendary" greatness as defined in this thread because it was only created in 1991, and therefore it missed countless great players who would've deserved such recognition before that year. I could list many Brasilian players from before 1991 who shone just as brightly for their clubs (and for longer periods) as Rivaldo did in Barcelona, and who didn't get the WPOY award simply because it didn't exist yet. Those are the players who Rivaldo is being compared to when one discusses whether he was a "Brasilian Legend" or not: legendary stars like Falcão, Zizinho, Ademir da Guia, Leonidas da Silva, Didi, Reinaldo, Careca, Gerson, Evaristo de Macedo, Jair da Rosa Pinto, Tesourinha, Friedenreich, Julinho Botelho, Canhoteiro, Leivinha, Tostão and many others.

Rivaldo was a superb player, yes, but it's not at all preposterous to ask if he was in fact a legend for a nation as blessed with superb players as Brasil. I think he was a legend, and so does Kaiserh, but it's a very reasonable question to ask.
:thumbsup:
thanks for a great post as always .most so called Brasilian fans here don't know what they are talking about.hope this clears things for confused people.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts