Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sure he is a good coach...but remember, when he was with the Bulls, he had jordan and pippen who are the top 50 players in the NBA history...and now, with the Lakers, he has Kobe and Shaq who are 2 of the most dominant players in the NBA now and will be the future Hall of famer...i adimre Phil Jackson's accomplishments...but if u take Shaq out of the Lakers lineup, they would not be as domiant as they are now...my point is i would call him 'the best coach' if he could turn a bad team around...or an average team around...if he could do that, i would call him the best coach...but he hasn't proved that with the bulls and now with the lakers...any coach can win a lot of things when u have the best center and the best sg in the league...

if he could turn the bulls (now) or the warriors around...or be a .500 team, well, he would deserve more credit...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Larry Brown is by far the best coach in the NBA. There's nobody that can just take 5 of the worst performing teams and bring them into the playoffs each year. He's amazing.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I think that Phil Jackson is a great coach. WHy? Just look at the Lakers before he came. They basically had the same team they do now, yet, they stunk. They argued, complained, and all had egos the size of Texas.

Jackson is a great coach in that he can coach a bunch of egos and mold them into a team.

Also, even though they didn't win the NBA Championship the years that Jordon was "retired" the first time, they still had teams that won 55 plus games and made the playoffs.

I think that Larry brown is a great coach as well.

Here are my top coaches because they can work with talent or without talent and make a team better: (no particular order)

1. Phil Jackson...

2. Larry Brown...

3. Rick Adelman...

4. Pat Riely (He makes any team good and play above their level, just look at what he did with the Knicks and the Heat).

5. Rudy Tomjonovich...(Another coach who can make bad teams great)

6. Gregg Popovich...(Very good coach)

7. Jeff Van Gundy...( One of the best coaches out there and he will find a job somewhere soon)

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I agree with JureM, and disagree with you Carson:irritate:

When you say it's because he has Shaq and Kobe.

Remember when Del Harris was coach? What was he doing? They were horrible.. well they weren't nearly as good anyway. It was also the year when Kobe and Shaq were trying to take the show them-selves.. And got in a big argument over who was the star of the team.. The whole team was in absolute dier trouble. Look at them now.. It's amazing how he can bring the team together...

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Phil Jackson is very good at making very good teams into champions. This is much more difficult than it appears. In the last 11 years, only three coaches have coached championship teams. Jackson has won 8 titles.

I don't think that another coach in this league could win 8 titles in 11 years, even with Michael and Scottie or Shaq and Kobe.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Its a very valid quaestion. I've thought about this the odd time.

Is it the coach, or the players?

To say that Jackson is great because of the fact that Harris did not accomplish very much with the same team, does not say anything. It could just mean Harris was pure crap, and a decent coach stepped in. Who's to say any number of other coaches could not have stepped into that role, at that particular time, and won the championship.

To say he won 50 games without Jordan also IMO does not make him grat. At that time he had a very good nucleus, and many coaches would win with that group.

Its impossible to tell how much of it is the coach, and how much is the team. If you can 100% (honestly) tell me that there are not a handful of coaches out there who could have done the same thing with Jordan, and now Shaq and Kobe, than fine.

But i think guys like Tomjanowich, Riley, Van Gundy, Brown, etc... would have probably accompmlished the same. I truly do believe Jackson has benefitted immensily from the player surrounding him.

But yes, he is a very good coach.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Popovich isn't that great u know.

I prefer Don Nelson. Nelson has shown he can coach a team. He's incredible at finding match - up problems. (this is also the reason why Nowitski has become a star) Adelman is also a very intelligent coach.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Nelson had a good run when he was with Milwaukee...then his star faded and fast....he was horrible with the Knicks, and only over the last two seasons has he been reviving his career.

By the way...Phil Jax is the Zen Master....he can do no wrong.;)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
IMO, one of the best coaches of the past 15 or so years is Chuck Daly of the Pistons. Back to Back, with scrap!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sure if you take out Shaq or Koby the Lakers will suffer big time. But L.A. had Shaq, Koby, Fox, Horry and Fisher before Phil Jackson came and while they were a good team they never even won the Western Conference Championship. I think Phil Jackson is a great coach. I don't think he's the best modern day coach though I'd have to go with Larry Brown on that.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes...phil jackson is a good coach...but i think i personally would rate guys like don nelson higher because nelson has turned the dallas mavericks around...remember how bad the mavericks about 3, 4 years ago??? but they've made some good decisions... drafted dirk, traded for finley, got nash....sure, u gotta give credit to mark cuban because he loves basketball and has invested a lot of $$$ but to lead a lottery team into a playoff team...it's not easy...

has phil jackson done that?? never...coz he had jordan and pippin in chicago and now he has kobe and shaq...how bad u could be as a coach when u had these players???

oh yeah, del harris is crap... :D

and speaking the kings, i give all the credit to their GM...to trade for webber was awesome...trade JWill for bibby?? that was incredible...and how about drafting stojakovic and turkolug??? and picking up bobby jackson, scott pollard...getting divac...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts