Xtratime Community banner

Is Olympic football a major international competition?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received a request via PM to post a poll on the above subject, and I think it would make an interesting discussion topic.

Personally, I've not had fond memories of the Olympic competition, largely due to the Brasil's failure to win the competition in 1988 & 1996.

In 1988, Brasil had the likes of Taffarel, Andre Cruz, Jorginho, Bebeto & Romario in their Olympic team. The team reached the final, took the lead through Romario, but eventually lost to the Russian team led by Alexi Mikhailichenko after extra-time. The only consolation being Romario finished the tournament as top scorer with 7 goals. Taffarel, Jorginho, Bebeto & Romario were subsequently part of Brasil's WC winning team in 94.

In 1996, Brasil were the defending WC champions and the favourites for the competition. With a team of Dida, Roberto Carlos, Ze Maria, Flavio Conceicao, Juninho Paulista, Savio, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Bebeto & Aldair, it was probably the strongest ever Brasilian team picked for the Olympics. The team got off to a worst possible start by losing the opening match 1-0 against Japan :eekani: but recovered and progressed to the semi-finals. In the semis against Nigeria (whom Brasil had beaten 1-0 in group stages), Brasil went 3-1 up and Dida even saved a PK :proud: But the Nigerians, inspired by their captain Kanu :D fought back & equalised late in the game. Brasil lost in extratime to a goal from Kanu, and the Nigerians went on to win the Olympic goal. Like their previous countrymen, Roberto Carlos, Juninho Paulista, Rivaldo, Ronaldo & Dida (though as a reserve) went on to win the WC 6 years after their Olympic adventure :shades:

Verdict: No vote :dontcare:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
By virtue of the fact that I don't really know who plays in it, who the past few winners are and what the age limit is, I voted no. Maybe I'm just clueless about this competition but it has never attracted me. Football as part of the Olympics is a distraction. After all the World Cup has always commanded a bigger stage than the Olympics itself, so I personally don't see the point of its inclusion.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
By virtue of the fact that I don't really know who plays in it, who the past few winners are and what the age limit is, I voted no.
It's U23 teams but they're allowed to have three overage players. Nigeria and Cameroon trained at my clubs ground for the 2000 Olympics :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Who won the last edition? Argentina, no?

I know Italy took Pirlo and two other overage players.. Toni I think. I didn't really care..

Who did England take with them?

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
It is a major competition and I like it:),but it would be so much better if there wouldn't be any age restrictons(as it is,all but 3 players have to be at most 23 years old),but FIFA doesn't want the Olypics to rival the World cup,so they put this restriction in place.:mad:

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
khimik said:
It's U23 teams but they're allowed to have three overage players. Nigeria and Cameroon trained at my clubs ground for the 2000 Olympics :D
The U23 rule was implemented in the 90s I think. Prior to that, teams were allowed to select players over 23 but yet to feature in the World Cup finals. Mikhailichenko (for Russia), Klinsmann (for West Germany), Jorginho & Bebeto (for Brasil) were all over 23 when they played in the Seoul Olympics in 1988. They were eligible for the Olympics as they were not selected for the World Cup finals in 1986, though Klinsmann did play for West Germany in Euro 88 prior to the Olympics.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Great Outdoors said:

I know Italy took Pirlo and two other overage players.. Toni I think. I didn't really care..

1)Yes:),Tevez was the top scorer. :thumbsup:
3)england didn't qualify:happy:,but I think they can't because in the Olympics it is Great Britain,not england,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
While i like watching it, i vote no on it being a major international tournament

As well as the restrictions on age and who can compete in it, not enough countries take it seriously.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Outdoors said:

Yes, Argentina are the reigning Olympic champions courtesy of a goal from Carlos Tevez over Paraguay in the final.

Pirlo was one of the three over-23 players selected for Italy, though I don't know who were the other two :dontcare:

England did not even qualify :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
They don't take part

It's the British Olympic team rather than individual ones for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. And they don't want to send a football team representing Britain for various reasons...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Great Outdoors said:

Italy took Pirlo and two other average players: Pelizzoli and Ferrari ;)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
As soon, nobody. We compete as Great Britain at the Olympics but don't send a football team for various reasons.

IIRC the 2000 winning Cameroon team contained Sammy Eto'o, I know Lauren was in it because we'd just signed him and I watched him train :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
It's the British Olympic team rather than individual ones for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. And they don't want to send a football team representing Britain for various reasons...
Which is precisely why they should just remove football from the Olympics calendar entirely. Football is and always will remain a special sport and deserves to be treated as such.

In any case, we already have an under-23 tournament.. why bother with another one? Who on earth wants a gold medal in football? It's a trophy or nothing at all.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
They don't take part

... but they never qualified in any case based on their (lack of) performance at the European U21 championship in 2004, which Italy naturally won :proud:

·
Registered
607 Posts
i enjoyed watching tevez, its a good comp but not a major one, i was still very disapointed with portugal though major comp or not.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
No.

Apart from the obvious factor of most countries not taking it seriously, the Olympics are an amateur tournament, while football is a professional sport. Thus football players have their own tournaments and responsibilities.

And the main reason, it isn't full internationals. It is, as pointed out, under 23 with 3 over age players.

It's more akin to a second level World Youth Cup, rather than an actual major tournament.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never been into it but I really enjoyed watching it (Italy :D) last year. It's very fun to watch if you like to watch younger, talented players. There is a lot of great players with huge potential.
But it's not a major international tournament imo.
The overaged players at Italy's team were Pirlo (captain), Ferrari and Pelizzoli.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
NO

The Olympics already have too much shit, take away the football, the softball, the curling, etc.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Is not even near a World Cup, or Eurocup/Copa America, BUT I think is a great chance to make an under 23 team, I will take the big dudes of the tournament.
This gives the possibilty for trying the ones knocking in the door of the major NT (remember the Youth NT WC is under 21, that is why mainly brazil and Argentina always gave handicap using babies (16, even 15 years old) to make them feel what a major competition is).

At least this last one I saw the best football Argentina displayed in years, and is always a pretty tough competition, Brazil and Argentina knows this since long, and just watch the great Nigeria 96 taking it.

In this last one Cristiano, Gilardino, struggled a lot to impose, and shows that is not easy even for a young player alraedy making it in his first division.

The no one cares, is bullshit, who doesn't care to obtain an olympic medal, and is funny because I know we argies and brazies REALLY care, and are not exactly empty in our shelves, doesn't care=excuse chikens, I was really bad and dissapointed with the failure in 96, and not even qualified with that great team of Aimar, and cia, that btw won greatly the Youth WC.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts