• Same superb passes
  • Great ball control
  • Neat little dribbles
  • Awesome curve in their shots
It's like watching a younger Pirlo.

·
Registered
17,740 Posts
He doesn't have Pirlo's vision or polish, but the latter will probably come with time.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Future Italian legend... if he comes Juve.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
For sure, tops the list of Serie A players I would want in Juve.

And indeed, he is more dynamic then Pirlo for sure. Has quite the lunges in him, and is more direct and mobile then Pirlo (the reason Pirlo failed at AM is he couldnt impose himself there, you got little time to impose yourself in the last third of the attack, while from DM position, get way more time).

He shares similar characterism of Pirlo the playmaker all the same (even if playing from deep doesnt suit him). Pirlo is Pirlo when it comes to vision ofcourse, but Monto is also quite intuitive passer too, check the passing bit of this clip:

[tub]WoTcoA4AlIE[/tub]

·
Registered
17,603 Posts
Nobody is the next Pirlo. What I love about every new talented player is that they have their own identity. They don't go right in the mold of someone else. Aquilani didn't grow in the mold of Pirlo. Totti is Totti, etc. Montolivo will be different also. I don't see a team built around him like Pirlo or Totti. He won't be Rui Costa either. He will have his own position that will be his trademark. With Italy's shortage of left-sided players, I think he could become an important player there if he becomes good enough.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
He doesn't play much like Pirlo IMO. I think he has the potential to be an attacking midfielder as he is really good at running at players (but he hardly does it for some reason) or he could be a pretty good box to box midfielder which it seems like he is becoming at Fiorentina

I was just thinking to myself, imagine how amazing a midfield and attack we could have by the next Euro's if a few players develop well and all goes well etc etc

------------De Rossi
----Aquilani---------Montolivo
------------Giovinco
------?Striker?----Cassano

That midfield and attack would be unstoppable :eekani:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
He doesn't play much like Pirlo IMO. I think he has the potential to be an attacking midfielder as he is really good at running at players (but he hardly does it for some reason) or he could be a pretty good box to box midfielder which it seems like he is becoming at Fiorentina

I was just thinking to myself, imagine how amazing a midfield and attack we could have by the next Euro's if a few players develop well and all goes well etc etc

------------De Rossi
----Aquilani---------Montolivo
------------Giovinco
------?Striker?----Cassano

That midfield and attack would be unstoppable :eekani:
?Striker? could be Gila or Super Mario:pp anyway just magical football

·
1st Tier Poster
50,947 Posts
For sure, tops the list of Serie A players I would want in Juve.

And indeed, he is more dynamic then Pirlo for sure. Has quite the lunges in him, and is more direct and mobile then Pirlo (the reason Pirlo failed at AM is he couldnt impose himself there, you got little time to impose yourself in the last third of the attack, while from DM position, get way more time).
He didn't fail there, he was simply transformed into a DM because that was the only way he could get playing time at Milan when Rui was in the club.

I can't remember any occasion in his career where one could say Pirlo failed on this position...it was rather that he never got much chance to show his abilities there. Players like Rui Costa and Riquelme who aren't exactly the most athletic or quickest players around could play well on the AM position (and same goes about Zidane too on a lesser extent) so it's entirely possible Pirlo could have been a huge success as AM (like he was on junior level) but he never got a chance at Milan with Rui Costa being there already. And later there was obviously no point to make him an AM considering he has proven himself to be one of the best, if not the best, deep-lying playmakers in the game.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
He played there, he wasnt bad there, but he failed to make an impact. He wasnt mobile and dynamic enough. Not only Milan, but in the few Inter games, and Brescia. He was bullied easier in the last third of the attack, then from holding position.

·
Administrator
53,224 Posts
Not nearly talented enough, from what one has seen so far. But he is a useful regista with neat passing range non the less.

·
Registered
33,731 Posts
also Pirlo is more skilled in free kicks , penalties , passes .. etc ... , emm -Montolivo misses the quietness of Pirlo ! :)
... you mean Monto doesn't tend to disappear over longer periods of a season? He did before christmas this season. Anyway, it is something he could learn to do more:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts