Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with the impending transfer of Buffel, who it appears is NOT a midfielder, I'm wondering exactly how Eck plans to fit him into the side? Could it be that he is finally ditching his silly 4-2-4 and going back to a 4-3-3?

The way I see it panning out is thusly.

- Novo as the central striker to grab the goals
- Prso slightly withdrawn in a supporting striker role. Buffel the same on the right hand side. Both could interchange a la Duff & Robben.
- Djordjic playing at left of centre to create and make passes. Ricksen on the right of centre as our box to box man, as he's been doing so well all season. Dare I say it, Mladenovic as our holding player sitting in front of defence?
- As Djordjic likes to drift infield, this could free up the left-back Vignal to attack down the left-flank. I'd like to think that HOPEFULLY we'll be bringing in an experienced centre-half to play alongside Zurab/Andrews. And young Hutton at right-back.
- Der Goalie as der last line!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
That could be what he'll do. I doubt McLeish has given it that much thought, though. We'd still get our midfield turned over by a lot of teams. Teams can only really play 4-3-3 if they are good technically, and good at getting forward quickly. This season we've been sh!t technically, and have gotten forward quickly because we punt the ball long. If Buffel and Djordjic are good enough it could maybe work. Mladenovic still has it all to prove as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was thinking that Buffel would play in a similar role to de Boer when he was here. Just behind the front two. Buffel is a forward or attacking mid from what I have heard, so him just behind Prso and Novo coudl work well.

A left mid, right mid, holding mid and Bufeel attacking.

God knows with Eck though...

·
Registered
300 Posts
i really think that we lost to celtic cos he used the 4-3-3 formation ,well we used it when de boer was here but i would say that then it payed off cos we had different players .celtic midfield is filled up with players that are very good not that we can not rival them but imagine we playing them with one man short in the middle of the pack it will give their extra man room to operate which they did use so i would opt for the 4-4-2 formation or any other one but not the 4-3-3 formation.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
With his recent buys I don't think McLeish is planning on a settled formation of any kind. I actually think he is planning ahead to have a squad that fits into the formation he chooses to employ. Although that is good for flexibility it does not breed consistency so I hope I am wrong there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts