Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mundo Deportivo and Marca have talked about contacts with Javier Aguirre, Osasuna's coach. Barça has had contact with several sources in Mexico to collect references about him. Leo Beenhaker has been of those references.

Aguirre has trained in Pachuca and Atlante in México and he's in his second season in Osasuna. He also was Mexican NT coach in last WC. Osasuna is the second team with less goals received and they are in 6th place now.

Personally, I like Osasuna's style because they mix a beautiful style with a oredered defense. But he has never been in a big club. What do you think?

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20040131/NOTICIA112500171.html

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I agree with Koeman4 in the description of Aguirre's Osasuna in the very few games I had the chance to see them. He is doing very well in a team with limited quality, and I liked very much the way Mexico played in the World Wup, making a huge impact once he was appointed (they had struglled with their previous coach to qualify). He showed also that he can be flexible using different systems. About his ability to coach a big club? In Mexico he coached America and Atlante, and America sounds to me like one of the biggest clubs in Mexico. As Andy Christ says anyone would do better than FR.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I believe Aguirre has the character to be a Barca coach. He's smart and has proven he can coach a team to victory, just look at Osasuna.

I do not know Scolari's history. I know he coached Brazil in the 2002 WC, but he had a great team in his hands, so I don't know how much merit he could have had compared to other coaches like Hiddink, who coached Korea, a team with no previous history of being a WC contender, to the semifinals.

Koeman is a legend at Barca. He is "el heroe de Wembley" (the heroe at Wembley) and as a player has achieved many trophies with Barca. He's been a successful coach with Ajax, but the fact that he's dutch would cause more controversy in this matter.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
CampNou said:
I believe Aguirre has the character to be a Barca coach. He's smart and has proven he can coach a team to victory, just look at Osasuna.

I do not know Scolari's history. I know he coached Brazil in the 2002 WC, but he had a great team in his hands, so I don't know how much merit he could have had compared to other coaches like Hiddink, who coached Korea, a team with no previous history of being a WC contender, to the semifinals.

Koeman is a legend at Barca. He is "el heroe de Wembley" (the heroe at Wembley) and as a player has achieved many trophies with Barca. He's been a successful coach with Ajax, but the fact that he's dutch would cause more controversy in this matter.
Scolari also won Brazilian championships and the Libertadores Cup.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Coaches I like in the Spanish League:
Irureta, Benitez, Aguirre, Manzano (Atletico de Madrid coach) and Lucas Alcaraz (Santander coach).

Perhaps we could come up with suggestions of coaches that may be good for Barcelona and then make a poll so that we have gained time when Rijkaard is sacked :D.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CampNou said:

About Scolari, I have an irrational feeling that they would not do well. It's just a perception. I can't explain it. Perhaps he has won several titles with clubs and his NT, but I see it as a consequence of the players they have. Maybe it's just an stereotype. Forget it.

About Koeman: I think it's not the best time for him to come. I'm sure he'll be our coach soon or later, but he should wait some time, IMO. He's young he'll have time to come.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Koeman4 said:
About Scolari, I have an irrational feeling that they would not do well. It's just a perception. I can't explain it. Perhaps he has won several titles with clubs and his NT, but I see it as a consequence of the players they have. Maybe it's just an stereotype. Forget it.

About Koeman: I think it's not the best time for him to come. I'm sure he'll be our coach soon or later, but he should wait some time, IMO. He's young he'll have time to come.
The reason I think Scolari would be good is because he knows how to make a team perform under pressure. It is necessary to remember that he overtook a Brazil team that was on the verge of not qualifying for the WC. He managed to make it play llike a team, and win the world cup. He was under immense pressure, and got results nonetheless...

I agree with you about Koeman. Let him mature as a coach, and become our coach with a bang :)
I would hate to see him underperform, and eventually fired.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Koeman4 said:

He won a Libertadores with Gremio, a team far from stellar. He always had this though guy attitude that he always brought to the teams he coached, all the teams that went on to win with him had this quality of always fighting for the win.

But he also was well known for being a great coach at knockout stages, he always knew how to win by the rules. Maybe he is not the type of coach you want, he does not strive for beautiful football, he works more with results.

I rather see someone like Luxemburgo, he has huge charisma and knows how to motivate players and how to get the best out of them. Plus most of his teams played attractive fooball with great teamwork. But he is a not a great person, but sure a great coach.

If it was to be a brasilian coach it would have to be Luxemburgo though, but I think there might be great spaniards for the job that I´m not familiar. But for sure it has to be someone with balls and that both Scolari and Luxemburgo have a lot

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Scolari resume:

1982 - Campeonato Alagoano (CSA)
1987 - Campeonato Gaúcho (Grêmio)
1989 - Copa Salmyia (Al Qadisia)
1990 - Copa do Emir (Al Qadisia) e Copa do Golfo (seleção do Kuwait)
1991 - Copa do Brasil (Criciúma)
1994 - Copa do Brasil (Grêmio)
1995 - Campeonato Gaúcho e Taça Libertadores da América (Grêmio)
1996 - Campeonato Gaúcho, Campeonato Brasileiro e Recopa Sul-Americana (Grêmio)
1998 - Copa do Brasil e Copa Mercosul (Palmeiras)
1999 - Taça Libertadores da América (Palmeiras)
2000 - Torneio Rio-São Paulo (Palmeiras)
2001 - Copa Sul-Minas (Cruzeiro)
2002 - Copa do Mundo (Seleção Brasileira)

He won Libertadores with 2 different teams and both far from stellar. Plus he made to Libertadores finals for 3 times and lost only one.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Angel_Culé said:
Coaches I like in the Spanish League:
Irureta, Benitez, Aguirre, Manzano (Atletico de Madrid coach) and Lucas Alcaraz (Santander coach).

Perhaps we could come up with suggestions of coaches that may be good for Barcelona and then make a poll so that we have gained time when Rijkaard is sacked :D.
I agree with you in the coaches you say of the Spanish league. Perhaps Alcaraz needs more time. But the other have already shown that they can do well in several teams. They have something good, they know much better the Spanish football than others like Scolari (although, as you say, he seems a better coach that what I thought, because of my ignorance about him).

All those Spanish coaches tend to balance really well the teams, good order in defense and in attack. If it's possible they try to play good football. I've seen great matches of Depor, Valencia, Osasuna (yesterday they played great in the Calderon, btw) or Atleti.

The best foreing option I can think about is Bianchi.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts