Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The U.S. back line is a mess. We are either too old and slow or too young and inexperienced or simply not very good (Sanneh?).

Is it time to move John O'Brien to left back and put Eddie Lewis in his place at midfield? Having O'Brien backing up Lewis would make me feel better about Lewis' defensive weakness and O'Brien would be a better option than any of our other left backs.

As for right back....umm....anyone have any ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
JOB will certainly have no problem playing left back since that's where he plays in Ajax mostly.

As for the right back, we don't have any good candidate. Hejduk would have been a contender if his crosses weren't so bad! :D

Reyna could have been an option but we need him in the midfield. Cherundolo and Sanneh both have their sort comings. Pope may be an outside shot if he can regain his form from the DC United days, and play Agoos and Berhalter in the middle.

·
Registered
674 Posts
JOB at the back

Hern, OSF, you guys are scaring me. It's the old known versus the unknown. Is it to late for Arena to make the move smoothly? Playing the position at AJAX certainly makes it eaier. I thought JOB played mid for them. If you guys think it's OK, I might go for it. I still think there's a need for Goose on the field. He's a presence. We just can't let him get isolated on a quick wing. Of course, that's the whole object of the other team, to do just that and play on our weaknesses.

Oh well, I'm getting excited now. I'm ready for the WC to begin. Send me in Coach!

Oldplayer

G

·
I think that putting JOB at the back has its pros and cons !! First of all , i am not saying it will happen but if reyna disappers like he did in france , we need some one to take control of the game , and JOB can do it better then donovan can , donovan is more of a slash and burn type player that at different time control the gaem , but no for the entire match , in a way like rivaldo. I really think Arena should give pablo maestroni and good look , he had loads of potential and is all around a solid center back , with that said , but pope and pablo in the middle agoos and maybe regis or JOB on the outsides. Regis and Lewis if they play there best will do fine , but the problem is that they are consistantly unconsistant. However i think it is too late to mess with the midfield , this whole time i have been calling for a 3 5 2 which would play into our strenghts but its too late.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts