Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not baseing this on the recent humiliating defeat against Deportivo,But in reality our own great Paolo Maldini has hit a time in his football life where he is surely not as quick as he used to be.Would it be right for him to go out on the note of us winning the Scudetto and an amzing 7th for Paolo or should he go on?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Definately he should play for one more season atleast. In the last two seasons San Paolo has never been fast. He is not there because he is fast. The quality he brings to the defence is irreplacable (if ever).

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is a brilliant Player and leader no doubt about it and has'nt got the speed he once had.But I'm just a little unsure whether he should continue that's all.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Why is speed a factor here? Want an example, take his performance against Depor in the first match. Rest assured, its not as if he is slowest among the top defenders. Nesta-Maldini pair is still the best inspite of our fiasco last Wednesday.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love Paolo but he is'nt the player he once was he's tiring and you can see.It's taken alot out of him,And it would appear that this Thread has come at Bad timing.Not the case it's just a pure discussion of views that's all.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
No need to blame yourself for bringing this thread up. Even during the match against Depor, I had the same thoughts.

But once the shock had passed, I tried to analyze every players' performances lately. And I cannot see anything leading to say that Paolo's time is up. He is just as tired as are others. No need of any drastic changes. Have faith.

BTW, how are you doing Schumy? :)

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon we're cool,I'm really heartbroken as we all are but anyway.i'm good actually was wondering where you'd been dude,I could'nt believe it when I saw your Post.I hope you stay Bud you've been Missed.;) I hope you're doing really well.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Cheers.

As I said in the other thread, I was/am still busy with work. Lot of travelling these past two and a half months. Should be posting regularily from May.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I wonder how will Milan's defence be after Maldini (and other aged defenders) leaves one day. None can play forever. He is not young. He will leave one day. Maldini is one of the best defenders in the history. (Nesta is the best now.) For sure his (their) leaving will bring huge impact to you. So who can fill his use as much as possible? What will you do to deal with it?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
A very troubling question and an inevitable affair. I am not sure if any of us would know what would be the best replacement for sure. Nobody can replace San Paolo that is given. But I hope we get hold of an worthy replacement before he retires. I don't want to go through the same phase as after Baresi again.

I would love to have Ferrari here. But it seems he probably would head to Juve.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
I wonder how will Milan's defence be after Maldini (and other aged defenders) leaves one day. None can play forever. He is not young. He will leave one day. Maldini is one of the best defenders in the history. (Nesta is the best now.) For sure his (their) leaving will bring huge impact to you. So who can fill his use as much as possible? What will you do to deal with it?
Nesta is still quite young for a defender.
Stam is atleast 4 years younger than Maldini (so he can take over from him).
After Nesta Stam...waiting. Apart from Samuel (another, though unlikely option) I see no upcoming world class defender who has proven himself for a longer time. Maybe Euro2004 and WC 2006 reveal the future Milandefense.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
One or two proven youngsters should fill the gap. A defence is something that, once put together properly, can stand for years, so it's worth spending some big money on it once. And now it's the time to buy a defender actually; just imagine a young, very talented player, learning from Maldini, Nesta and Stam, should become some kind of super-defender:D
I'd go for Kompany:star: and a versatile left-footed defender.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
I don't think our defense's age problem is as bad as some people make it out to be. Nesta is still very young for a defender at around 27 years old and we've got Kahka Kaladze who's very young from what I can remember. All we need is a right back and a central defender, which I'd like Ferrari. A right-back to look at is Cicinho from São Paolo, he's alot like Cafu actually.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
hummm I think he has made very few mistakes this season and has been more solid than Nesta. He can go for another season for sure.

And who on the bench can replace him? :howler:

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
I am also very worried about Paolo leaving us next year
But I am actually more worried about the team as a whole dealing without maldini than just the defence without maldini
I mean, he is the team's symbol... He carries a lot of the pressure on his shoulders by being team captain and telling players to take it easy when they want to start breaking skulls (like in gattuso's case for instance, I think that asides from Pirlo, Maldini taught him how to poise himself by giving him shit every time he lost his head)
Ok Baresi left, and we dealt with it. I don't see why it should be any different this year
When Baresi left we had old deffenders also (costacurta, tas and paolo wasn't exactly a youngster himself)
The thing is loosing pancaro and cafu, its like dismantelling the defence, I think we will have to wait for a little bit... From 95 it took us about 5 years to rebuild the defence, with players like cruz, ayala, chamot, coloccini, laursen and so on trying to make an impact, something that never happened
I believe we have a good primavera system, we should emphazise playing young people here and there and buying young defenders. I think the match at La Coruna taught us that even the best and most experience defenders can play like little children when it counts the most... so getting young people is a must, I think we must transition yet a third generation into our system, after maldini and gattuso's gen

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Is it time for San Paolo to give it up?
All that I can say is that at age 35-36 San Paolo Maldini is superior than Moore, Beckenbauer, and Baresi when they were the same age!

- Enough Said!

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
the passed few games he hasnt been that great.....its getting towards the end of the year and could just be fatigue, i dont think he should quit after this year....hes still great...but i think with a fully healthy Nesta it would help Maldini play less games and be able to give 100% everytime (i know he does but im talking about stamina wise etc.). Samuel and Stam are the best for me (besides nesta whos already milans)....it seems you got Stam so that will help out the defense a lot....signing a younger defender now would be the best move...to have him play along with Maldini for a year or two would help him a lot.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
his son?
I heard he will be playing in the allievi in a few years
Shit If I was him i would be crapping on my pants, I mean, daddy and gran daddy have won more than any family ever

1 - 20 of 21 Posts