Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nicky Butt showed what he's capable of during this world cup, to the surprise of many of us. He raised his game a notch, and I'm wondering now, if this is the season where he'll seriously attempt to stake a claim to the midfield role that Keano has dominated since the mid 90s. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Im expecting big changes this season and Nicky could be involved in the changes. I think he has to start more because it seemed Scholesy took his first team spot for granted last year. If Keane has any slight bust ups with Fergie his role isnt wont be secure. And after all that we havent even mentioned Veron (who looks like he wont be moving anywhere).

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
well, if the reports of keano going to celtic are true, butty would be an excellent replacement.:)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I think Nicky Butt will play a major role in the Premiership for Man U this season.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Butt has certainly proved his place for England at Korea/Japan.He had a very consistent WC and was one of the main factors behind England progressing so far.

However Butty's always been a player who played very well in phases.At times he he would have 5 or 6 excellent games while on other occassionsyou wouldn't even notice that he was on the pitch.His defensive qualities do not need to be mentioned but his passing has to improve.Whether he's ready to step up and take charge of the midfield is a decision which I'd like to take halfway through this season(i.e. if he gets enough games)since I am not fully convinced yet.

I'll be delighted if Butty proves me wrong and finally takes the step to being a true classy midfielder.:)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
in fareness though shaf, he's never really had a decent run int he team abd any chances he has had haven't been down to his ability, but down to the fact that keano's injured or suspended.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Beefy said:
in fareness though shaf, he's never really had a decent run int he team abd any chances he has had haven't been down to his ability, but down to the fact that keano's injured or suspended.
spot on:)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Erm ... nice avatar ... :groan:

·
Registered
547 Posts
When Butt has came in for Keane in the past, he has done OK but not great ... You can't fill a world class player's shoes with a good player.

Fergie has stated in the past that United require a large percentage of possession to be effective as a team and that is why Keane is always a definite starter... His passing is undoubtedly the best in the Premiership as he almost never surrenders possession. All United's play goes through Keane - he provides the platform for their attacking play, and is the anchor for their defensive play.

That is the difference between the two. Whereas Keane is outstanding in almost every department, especially passing, Butt is only good at tackling, man-marking and has a good positional sense. He is a good player, but no more... He is what many people call a 'battler' and a damn good one at that, but he will never be the refined midfielder that Keane is.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Cokane said:

That is the difference between the two. Whereas Keane is outstanding in almost every department, especially passing, Butt is only good at tackling, man-marking and has a good positional sense. He is a good player, but no more... He is what many people call a 'battler' and a damn good one at that, but he will never be the refined midfielder that Keane is.
Thats what all of us are hoping he'd add to his game this season.Butt's always been good at protecting the back four by sitting in front of them but his passing goes awry from time to time.If he has any ambition of replacing Keano then Butty needs to work on this part of his game.:)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Butt unfortunately will never be a regular at united, unless a midfielder gets injured.

Sir Alex knows he's good as "back up" but he definately cant replace keane nor Scholes.

none the less he is a good player :cool:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Russell said:
Butt unfortunately will never be a regular at united, unless a midfielder gets injured.

Sir Alex knows he's good as "back up" but he definately cant replace keane nor Scholes.

none the less he is a good player :cool:
You cant really say that, Fergie knows he's good as a back up player, but he'll also know that if a centre midfielder isnt pulling their weight then Butt will certainly do their job for them. We all thought Solskjaer would never be a first choice striker, but what happend last year?

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, from all accounts, Keano is ready and willing, having recuperated enough during his layoff from the world cup, to actually dispense with the need for an operation. I'd still like to see Butt given a better shot this season though.

·
Registered
579 Posts
We'll start the season with basically everyone healthy and excited to start a march to the title. But as usual, in spite of a great World Cup, Butty plays second fiddle to Keano. And with Veron staying it'll be even harder for Fergie to compensate Butty with some regular first team football.

Remember as well, because of our defensive troubles last season, we could fit both Butt and Keane in with either playing more behind the midfielders in a defensive support role. But (knock wood) if we can get the troubles at the back sorted, there's no reason why we could not play a more offensive minded midfield line-up. That means a midfield of Giggs, Keane, Veron and Beckham.

Unfortunately, because Veron continues to remain on the team, that means either Scholes or Ole will be benched -- along with Butt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts