Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking back over the past decade, we have seen Moggi change the forwards a lot. By this, I mean selling vialli and ravs and buying amoruso, vieri and boksic...and then selling boksic and vieri and buying inzaghi and so on.

But the past few seasons, he hasnt been too drastic. Trezeguet and Del Piero have been the main strikers for a few seasons. Zlatan has joined now and is giving them both a run for their money, but still, it always seems that del piero and trezeguet are a fixed variable upfront at the end of the day.

My question to you is whether you think its time a drastic change is made upfront?

Me personally, I would welcome a good clean out, hence, trezeguet, del piero , zalayeta all sold.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
780 Posts
In the last few years, we've won two scudetti and made it to the finals of the CHL. the Del Piero and Trezeguet partnership was very productive in those years. it's only last season that this partnership struggled, hence zlatan.

As for now, trezeguet just returned from injury and he’s trying to create some kind of chemistry with zlatan. I personally think in form DP-Trezeguet is better than Zlatan-Trezeguet partnership, but I hope I’m proven wrong by the end of the season. Don’t forget we made an excellent addition to our attacking force by getting mutu. So I don’t really see a strikers clear out on the horizon nor do I want one. Beside, if we sell trezeguet, DP, and zalayeta who do you suggest we get instead? Trezeguet is a proven goal scorer in serie A, zalayeta is an excellent back up and DP is just DP.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are the main problems in my opinion.

1. Trezeguet is a proven goal scorer who seems to miss a lot of football. Inform, he is great and one of the best goal scorers out there as his record speaks for itself, but the past two seasons have seen him miss a lot of football. when he misses football, no one replaces him and this has been a big problem this season. Zalayeta does well for a 4th choice striker, but he still doesnt replace the 1 goal per game which Trezeguet does contribute, if he is on the field that is.

2. Del Piero is a shadow of his formerself right now. He isnt what he was and a partnership with Trezeguet wont be as good as it ever was unless he goes on extreme make overs and gets new limbs. Will he regain form or will he slowly get worse? With Mutu joining and Zlatan already hot on his heels, I really dont see much of an inform del piero reappearing in the near future.

3. How much longer will Zalayeta accept the bench? He is a striker who could do well for other clubs in other leagues and he could very well start for many midtable teams.

Who can replace them?

Del Piero has been replaced already by Mutu joining. Lets not forget that Miccoli is still half owned. But for the sake of it, Mutu still has a lot to offer as a player and he could very well do what del piero has been doing for many years. Looking back at his Parma days, he rivalled del piero that season, in fact, he was probably better.

Trezeguet will be hard to replace. But i think Gilardino could do the job for juve.

Nonda on a free would be good to replace Zalayeta.

Bojinov is another player who has been heavily rumoured since joining fiorentina. the rumours of maresca and miccoli for him were sparked recently.

think about it. Sell Del Piero, Trezeguet and Zalayeta. Bring in Mutu and Nonda on free transfers and spend some cash on a young star like Gilardino.

zlatan, mutu, gilardino and one of nonda/bojinov. not a bad set of forwards at all.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I see what you're saying Trez is a champion but he's missed a bit of football also If the offers right then Juve should consider.Likewise for DP he's not the player he was years ago and I don't know what will happen with him.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It would be unwise to make a drastic change at this point in the season. We have a good set of strikers and I wouldn't trade that for a bunch of new players who would need some time to pick up the Juve style of play. In any case I'm against it.

However, I do wish we could have Miccoli back but of course why would Moggi allow someone with earrings on the pitch :rolleyes: :D He's got talent written all over him and would've easily turned into a top form Del Piero if only we had given him the time. I still believe tossing him away was a mistake and selling Zalayeta would be another one. He just needs to give up warming the bench because he's still known to save our rears once in a while.

As far as the partnership between Trezeguet and Del Piero is concerned, it has almost always delivered with the exception of last season's fiasco. The Zlatan deal was fairly enough to get us over it which we have to a great extent. Trezeguet just hasn't played in a while and I don't think Juve should even consider letting him go. Frankly because it would almost be next to impossible finding a replacement considering his goal scoring abilities when in form. There's no point in selling Zlatan either because with Mutu's transfer we would have a solid hold up front which will hold out pretty well. On the Del Piero front I'll plead the fifth :pp

Defense still remains the spot to concentrate on.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
I would really like to see a proper replacement for DP finally, I have nothing against him taking on a less active role at the club. So far there haven't been many pretenders, only Miccoli and he didn't make it. At this point I have my hopes set on Mutu, I hope he can bring the same kind of creativity and efficiency as the DP of old, soak in the pressure and take on that giant responsibility. Just like Trez scored 14 goals in his very first season and knocked out Pippo, that kind of performance I really would like to see! I think if it were that easy to replace DP, we probably would have already.
[/rant]

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Good Topic Adrian.

My concern is the Defence and a creative Zidane type of player more than a drastic change in the forwards.

Trezeguet - There is no better finisher in the game. All he needs is good service and the jobs done. This is why I'd like to see a playmaker come in.

zlatan, mutu, gilardino and one of nonda/bojinov
If we was to have that set of forwards, I don't think they would be happy as all but Nonda would moan for that first team spot. Mutu may not moan at first, but he'll get tired of sittting on the bench sooner or later........

Zalayeta and Del Piero never complain of being benched. That makes the team more harmonious.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Seems like Palermo wants to make a bid for Del Piero

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has issued an open invitation to Juventus ace Alessandro del Piero.

Del Piero is struggling to maintain his first team status at Juve under coach Fabio Capello and has been linked with a summer move away from Turin.

Zamparini said: "Del Piero has difficulty with Capello's demands, but he would be perfect for the tactics of (Palermo coach Francesco) Guidolin.

"Sure, there will be richer and bigger clubs than Palermo interested in him, but to dream is natural.

"He has no equal in football and will attract bigger clubs than Palermo, but if it depended on me I would bring him here.

"If he accepted a pay-cut, I would sign him."

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have been trashing Del Piero a lot lately, but the thought of him leaving Juve and wearing another Jersey......kind of makes me sad.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
Trezeguet has been unlucky with injuries recently, but with the shoulder surgery i think he will become much less injury prone and as pointed out before, we simply will not get another striker of his class for the same money we will sell him for. Seems like bad business to me to sell him, nor does it make much football sense.
As for DP...much like Martin, i think he could still offer us a lot in a non-essential capacity and hopefully he won't think it's worth making a move to greener pastures in terms of playing time. I would still like him to end his career as a Juve player, as would most of us i assume.

Zalayeta's time i think is up, especially as his value has appreciated while he replaced Trezz, but if it is true that we've gotten Nonda's signature wrapped up then i don't see any hesitation in letting Zalagoal go.

A strikeforce consisting of Mutu, Zlatan, Trezz, DP and Nonda would be an outrageously potent one IMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
the best option IMO is to bring a fast forward, nonda is very good but juve have ibrahimovic and trezeguet...why not try to bring a young fast forward?

·
Registered
251 Posts
im a big del piero fan, i want him to stay with us forever, but he is no longer the man he was, for zlatan n trezegoal, they r 2 walking sticks, mutu is not fast either, so we really need a fast forward (plz dont bring miccoli back)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
archaon said:
(plz dont bring miccoli back)
I'd like nothing better than to see Juve groom him into a world class player. But considering the way he was tossed away I highly doubt he's ever looking our way.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
One type of attacker Juve need IMO is someone who tends to go deep. Neither Trez, Ibra or Del Piero tend to do that. We often lack the ability to do "easy" goals and with someone running deep we would be able to do so more often.

Mutu is a player that occasionly does go deep, but that's not one of his main qualities. I don't know about Nonda though, I've gotten the impression that he might be that player.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Oh, and by the way, I know that a reason for us not doing such goals might be that we don't have anyone in midfield deliviring those passes to the forwards going deep, but our attackers still need to make those runs. If not because of always getting 1 on 1 chances with the goalkeeper at least for ripping up defences.

·
Registered
17,741 Posts
We've got several, dare i say numerous players at youth level that have shown or/and show potential at the moment, but no one that could conceivably come into the senior side yet.

No starlets in offence anyway, that i can think of.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Many rumors/situations exist.
I see more of a problem in midfield myself. The forwards are not offered much sevice by them.

Trez: 70% a Juve player next year. Possible clubs that will want him: Arsenal, Chelsea. Others I cant think of.
Zlatan: 99.9999% a Juve player next year.
DP: may stay, may go. Depends most on DP himself and what he will accept.
Zalayeta: will likely leave

Possible players to arrive:

Cassano: Impicated in the motivations Juve had for signing for Mutu. Mutu plus some money in exchange. Likely fantasy made up by juventini in the Italian media.

Nonda: according to the French media's and hence Glen's assertions ( :D ), all ready a Juve player. Is availible for free. Truth is not known yet.

Bojinov: Rumors Moggi aranged his move to Fiorentina, and will come to Juve for the full ownership of Miccoli and Maresca. More fantasy I feel.

Gilardino: Recent rumors say Milan are closest to signing him. Gila was the smokescreen used to sign Zlatan, Gila feels. Is a Juventini and would come to us over other clubs if we called. Money is the only thing Parma will want I think.

Personally, I feel Gilardino is the most usefull of the above players. He has the most complete game and package, considering Cassano's attitude problems. We allready have Zlatan who has a temper on the field, at opponents however and never thus far to the coach/teamates.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts