Xtratime Community banner

is goalkeepeing italy as good as it used to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last 2 years i seen so many howlers by Serie A keepers

Yesterday bardi..

cIY5jcFMooc

Last year roma's keeper goicochea vs cagliari

hk93fspviZQ

De sanctis with Napoli error vs Fiorentina..

uI5lpFIFMpE

Buffon howler vs Bayern Munchen comes to head too. What you all think?

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Rare mistakes is a bad measure of a goalie. You gotta look at his overall performance IMO. Personally I don't see enough games to judge fairly. Worrying for Italy though would be the insistance to bring in Brazilian keepers.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,840 Posts
of course it's not as good as it used to be if you think back to the great goalies Serie A had in the 90s and 00s.

But a few howlers here and there are not an adequate way to rate the entire league.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I believe it's quite likely that the goalkeeper level, just like the overall level of play, is at its lowest since 1980. But a few howlers doesn't make any kind of a case for that.

nyoE7zC-Aic

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
De Sanctis , Roma's keeper should not be a starter for a club fighting for a title.
Mr.Howler he is.Buffon remains best keeper in league, yet when he was in his prime he had more rivalry in the league with presence of keepers like dida, julio cesar..and francesco toldo at one point.

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
What is good is that a lot of clubs are relying on Italian young goalies and most of them are indeed reliable. Kudos to Atalanta, who gave a chance to Sportiello, who is indeed very promising, after selling Consigli to Sassuolo.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Comparatively there are a ton a quality keepers, this is a good generation for Italian keepers, maybe no Buffon but certainly a handful that will or have reached Sirigu's level. I expect an international raid in the coming years.

But yes DeSanctis has fallen off.
Handanovich, Buffon, Diego Lopez, Neto, Perin have all been particularly good.

·
Rise from ashes
1,002 Posts
no one mentions Lopez as without him we wud not win a single game not that we r winning but hard fought draws has major contributions from him. certainly best GK in league

·
Registered
45,352 Posts
Ranking of goalies according to gazzetta ( considering just the goalies who played at least 9 games)

Perin (Genoa) 6.62
Sportiello (Atalanta) 6.53
Diego Lopez (Milan) 6.45
Buffon (Juventus) 6.38
Karnezis (Udinese) 6.36
Romero (Sampdoria) 6.35
Handanovic (Inter) 6.31
Viviano (Sampdoria) 6.31
Sepe (Empoli) 6.29
Sorrentino (Empoli) 6.22
Neto (Fiorentina) 6.19
Bardi (Chievo) 6.17