Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have your say!;)

I feel that football is not a religion but instead causes many problems related to violence, crime and rasicm. This can cause several problems which is why so many people turn to God."
Raychel, England

"Soccer isn't a religion it's a sport that people enjoy!! Religion is believing in God. Enjoying a sport doesn't make it a religion!!!!"
Karen, Australia

"I cannnot answer this question, but i think there are many analogies that seem interesting to me. (e.g. stadium vs. temple), and a decisive factor is that people find in football a sense for life and their lifes are even organised by football. 'You?ll never walk alone.'"
Jason, USA

"Of course it is. Does it not bring together cultures and societies to perform ritualistic events, arouse the crowds through an electric effervescence. In fact, I believe all major sports are religious for this same reason."
Jason, USA

"Maybe it's a religion maybe not! It depends on how you see it! For me it's not a religion. It's a pleasure, a big pleasure. And I think football can't be a religion. If you are in one religion, then you can't be in another. So where is the pleasure in it? Being a supporter doesn't mean only supporting your team. It means supporting football and all its beauties. Football is a great thing, so enjoy it if you're not very religious!"
Zeynep, Turkey

"I'd say if more religions were like football, we'd have a lot fewer problems in the world! In many religions, believers are taught that their way is the only way, and unbelievers are at best to be avoided, and at worst to be harassed/punished/killed. In football, many fans take it just as seriously, however most will admit it's a game after all, and will not do more than verbally abuse rival fans. Frustrated shouting notwithstanding, I'd say refs do a better job than priests!"
Joe Pate, USA

"There is nothing else that people follow, come together to see, think about and never miss it. If it is not a religion so what is? I think football is more important than religion. We should not forget that Stadiums are postmodern temples. We love football..."
Enes Korkmaz, Turkey

"I am a football and, personally, i think i should be recognised as a relgion. I should be worshiped night and day and admired for my unique stitching and inflation. People should drop to their knees every time they see a football and kiss the ground we roll on."
Hearty Boy, UK

"Soccer should not be considered a religion, that is an insult to Our Lord, and Creator Jesus Christ. Soccer is a pastime, but it cannot get you into paradise with The Lord, that's for sure."
Alex, United States of America

"I remember the famous shankly quote...that football is more than life and death.

Yes, unfortunately football does lead to division...just put the Argetines against the English team and the falkland war is remembered.

Don't forget the USA match against Iran in 1998. I remember in Euro '96 when England were to play Germany the tabloid newspapers, in a pure xenophobia fashion, pictured the match as World War II.

Football is fun, its not nice to see your team loose at all...but there is a thin line between enjoying the game as a passion and racism and prejudice.

To some football can act as a religion, but to most it is a fun passion...."
Hani, England

"Football is not a faith: it's the faith... Who doesn't feel their heart in himself when you see a stadium full of people or a super goal....."
Davide, San Marino

"In countries like Brazil, Argentina or in Africa, people consider football as a religion. Their motivation is their favourite team. Morever, we must admit that in those countries, generally, people have only one hobbie : football. So, to answer the basic question, we can say that football is a religion from the supporter's point of view. Socially, it is a phenomena which can be compared to a religion. But it's not really a religion, because football doesn't explain life."
Sliman, Tunisia

"I think football is treated by fans as a religion, i believe it shouldn't be! It is just a game which is taken way too seriously."
Kirsty, England

"To some people it is a religion and on Sundays you will find them infront of the TV yelling at the players for a bad play. Maybe church has made the presence of going there so uncomfortable that people feel like it's not a place to srecam and shout, I doubt it. The same way we enjoy football we also should enjoy the Lord. Infact I believe he gets into the football games and he is hoping and hollering like the rest of us.

However, he probably sees all this excitment people have for a sport and wishes that they could have that same enthusiasm for him as well."
Melissa Commodore, US

"Football is not religion, it's just passion and something people can enjoy."
Abdiyare, Kenya

"No, we can not say that. Religion is sacred, football is not. Religion goes beyond the things we see in our everyday lives. It captures the mind, soul and the spirit. Yes people worship the star players, they become gods. Stadia become places of worship. But knowing that each individual has to live holy life is far more enriching than to live to go to the stadium to meet/see our soccer playing kings."
Thokozani, South Africa

"I pray dont degrade football by comparing it with religion. Think of the short span of time that football took to spread throughout the world. Compare it with that of any religion. Whether it be Islam or Christanity or Buddhism, it took centuries to cross seas and reach continents. The universal appeal of football is beyond comparisons. Unlike religion it unites minds."
Ramachandran, India

"To some extent, football is more than a religion. See the fans. How crazy they are. To them, their favourite football players are their god. When their favourite team loses in a game they burst out crying. We seldom see people so enthusiastic, keen, devoted, crazy towards anything but football."
Kathy, India

"You are mad, do you realise. A sport raised to the level of a religion such as Islam or Christianity - where is there anything sacred in it!"
Foued, France

"No, definitely not. Passion is required, but is not a religion."
Galo, Mexico

"It can often be viewed as a religious sport. Fans attach themselves to clubs, and treat the stadium as a religious place as an alternative to going to church, whereby they can express feelings and share things with others (fans) in a similar fashion. The stadium and the club become something that the fan believes in, hence a religious attachment being created."
Gavin, England

"Football is not religion because religion today divides people rather than unites them. People from different religious backgrounds also differ culturally, socially and in lots of many ways, but football has one culture and is played with the same spirit and enthusiasm all throughout the world. It displays the true spirit of sportsmanship and team spirit which is very necessary for the world today. Football undoubtedly is a philosophy and is supported by a set of rules and principles. If all the people in this world understand the game of football in its truest sense the world will be a better place to live in."
Partha Protim Roy, India

"To me football is a religion as I am not a follower of any other religion. Football is the only thing that comes close to the passion and commitment a person must show to a religion."
Hannah, England

"I say that the game is more a philosophy of life rather than religion. Football can be played without boundaries of race or even religion. The game teaches you a lot...such as how to cooperate and scoring the goal in your team or even to become a champion. Note this: A champion doesn't mean that you never lose, but champion means that you never quit."
Yodi, Indonesia

"No way! Why can football be a religion? Football is merely fun and a worldly pleasure. It teaches only few things about how to live in this humanity. Who creates this question? It is just a ridiculous one. It is not a food for thought."
Aung Sis Naing, Myanmar

"No, football is different from religion, because religion is sacred and football is just a enjoyable sport for fun and happiness."
Bok, Philippines

"I think football is a religion and a game. Football is played physically and mentally. Every footballer prays to god before playing the match, we can even see it on television, for example raul and suker."
Karma Sherpa, Nepal

"People's beliefs may be religious or sometimes they can be superstitious. My team Coventry City had to wear Portsmouth's orange away kit last week as the ref was not happy with the usual sky blue kit. This was the same kit that Portsmouth had worn in their 5-0 defeat against West Brom in the previous match. Needless to say our winning run came to a sudden halt."
Paul Wilson, UK

"No, I don't consider football to be religion. Religion is faith. Faith can lead to limitation: limitation of thinking and behaving. Football is rather fun. A fun that everybody enjoys. The fun that speaks for whole humanity."
Kiran, Nepal

"Depends on how people think, if the player or fan are religion believer, they will treat football as a solemn game which will prove his belief. Otherwise, football is just a fair and enjoyable game."
Michelle, China

"No, football is a sport. However, now that the religion plays a less central role in our lives many football fans seem to exhibit the same devotion and fervour to their team that was once the reserve of the church in this country. Everybody has a basic need to believe and identify with something bigger than themselves; football and the Saturday match ritual seems to meet this need for many fans."
Simon, England

"Football can be a religion. My brother (AC Milan fan) for example is very touchy about comments - e.g when someone says things (to his view untrue) about certain players, tactics of coaches etc. He ignores 'unpleasant' comments as if they were too delicate to tackle, as certain things were taboo and not open to discussion, (Mary WAS a virgin, Jesus did say so-and-so...) I don't want to be disrespectful, but a certain strata of people do not doubt... never ask questions. It's the same with football - you don't say he cannot play, you keep silent. I hope you see what I am trying to say. I am, I must admit, an outsider, an observer so I can see how my brother behaves. A bit fanatical, at times. It's O.K. to make jokes on the expense of a player or a match, but never cross that line of joke and offence."
Karin, Slovenia

"Jonny, do you remember a little thing called Hooliganism? Well, if you don't let me refresh your memory. They would beat you up for cheering on the wrong side of the stadium.

But I do feel that football is a religion. I feel that anything you are strongly passionate for and commited to is a religion. Yes, there are some who would say that even thinking like this is against God's will. But what about Hinduism? That's a completly different than Christianity but I have yet to hear people complain about it like that. I consider myself (even though I am a religious person) to be part of football as a religion."
A.J., Canada

"No, it's not, it's a lot healthier than a religion, and I'm not just talking physically. By and large, people don't get shot at with guns, or have rocks thrown at them, because they play football."
Jonny, Ireland

M

·
0 Posts
No, it's not a religion. A religion needs a god which football does not have. And no to any Argentinians reading this, Maradona is NOT A GOD.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Technically, of course it's not a religion.

But for me it's like the equivalent, it is my life. I dont know what i'd be without football. The passion, the vibes you get down your spine seeing your team play in the world cup, the atmosphere... Nothing comes close to that feeling.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Kiyan said:
The passion, the vibes you get down your spine seeing your team play in the world cup, the atmosphere... Nothing comes close to that feeling.
damn you virgens!

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Kiyan said:
:tongue:

Would you sacrifice a night of getting laid to see you team lift the trophy in the end?

;) I think so.

Depending on the chick yes, screw my club!

ps. I say the best is to have both, but you said that no other felling comes close. And damn you were wrong :tongue:

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Liternit said:
Depending on the chick yes, screw my club!

ps. I say the best is to have both, but you said that no other felling comes close. And damn you were wrong :tongue:
How bout putting the key in the ignition and watching the game at the same time?:stuckup:

Mikey, who made the English? Did they grow from trees?

M

·
0 Posts
I'm not getting in to an argument with a religious person, as I find it's like banging my head against a brick wall. All I know is if I invented something the whole world loved and everyone gave credit to a entity that's existence has yet to be proved, I'd be seriously pissed off.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
Hell yes, football is a religion. Not only that, but it, as a modern focus of humanity, is more worthwhile than more "common" religions. The sort that have become outdated and vehicles for racism, abuse, bigotry, and violent fanaticism. Football, like anything that involves huge groups of people, has these problems, but they are more to do with people attaching themselves to the game rather than organized religion which by it's very nature is a cause of these problems.

Maybe it's different in places where Organized Religions still have strong grips on society, like the Middle East and parts of the Latin world, but in the U.K. Organized Religion is no longer tied in with the U.K. countries and the running of society. It's pretty obvious here that Football has taken the place of Religion. It gives people a life long family, an identity. I don't think Football needs a "God", because it's not as isolationist and seperatist as Religion. Everyone can do it, anyone is welcome. The clubs are the focus of "worship" ( although Maradona surely counts, as he does have his own religious followers!).

It's always going to be a perspective thing. Football is like a religion to me, I live and breath football. I can't imagine living without football, it dominates my life. And unlike other religions, I don't need to follow someone else's rules, I don't need to alter my life and restrain natural urges and impulses to suit someone else's hypocrisy. And there is no doubt that football clubs actually exist!

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Well a game played with your feet and a ball was played by many ancient cultures. So I diagree with that, English created the modern rules of football though and making it popular.

·
Registered
69,666 Posts
Liternit said:
Well a game played with your feet and a ball was played by many ancient cultures. So I diagree with that, English created the modern rules of football though and making it popular.
That´s right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts