Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an important question to ask??

Do you guys think that after hearing eyal been only 19 out the 43 games played for Man City that he is wearing out as a player. Already in his prime 30's and signed a deal that made him less of what he made back in Scotland as 5.75 Million pounds.

It's just odd, because i remember back in the mid-90's, when the greats of maccabi Haifa 93-94-95 team we're still in Israel. The big shine of Israeli soccer back then was Ronni Rozenthal, after the 1994 season for Maccabi Haifa, Berkovic and Revivo went on with there carrers internationaly! For Rozenthal, After Liverpool giants came Tottenham which was good, but later he went to Watford who back then were a lower end division of the P.L and usually promoted or top of tables for 2nd divisions and by 1997, Rozenthal wore out.

You think the same can occur to Berkovic, since Gershon, Balil and Benyoun (Just now singed and making MORE than Berkovic), is going to move and perhaps be the next generation of Israeli starts who will take over the 'dream' that revivo/tikva/berkovic/tal had?

Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Berkovic and Revivo definitely aren't getting any younger and they will retire in a few years. Tikva and Tal are only in their mid 20's and definitely aren't approaching the end of their careers.

I don't think Berkovic is wearing out, but the age does has its affects on the player. I do believe that he won't be as unlucky next season as he was this season injury-wise.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
I agree with Hrevivo, both of them are aging and it is only normal that they'll be more injury prone at this stage of their career, just like any other footballer. Having said that, both of them are playing some good football this season so you can't call it 'wearing out'.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But what i was saying is that sometimes, people might think that Revivo + Berkovic is the top seed players in Israel. And i think there top seed is going to be taken over by younger people! :)

Remember!!!! Revivo and Berkovic were around 25 years old when they left Maccabi Haifa, and now we have players who are going when they are 22 (after Military) so, maybe our players are snatched early and better :D

What do you feel to that?? Can that improve our NT or can it destroy our Liga A'hal and perhaps even our UEFA chances?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Don't really think that Eyal is 'wearing out' as you put it. When he has been fit he certainly hasn't lost any of his pace or skill.What might have contributed to his poor record this season is that he has been playing in the 1st division for the biggest team in that league.The fact that teams were playing City,gave the opposition what was considered their biggest game of the season when playing us.Many teams unable to match us on the pitch simply resorted to trying to stop us playing,either by legal or illegal ways!!This meant Berkovic and Benarbia received some very rough treatment by midfield 'hard men' who just kicked lumps out or them.Also alot of the 1st division pitches left a lot to be desired and added to the risk of injury.The last game Eyal played away at Rotherham,the club admitted they didn't roll the pitch for a week beforehand to try and make it un-even,and Eyal went off injuried after a heavy tackle by the opposition.

To sum it all up,next season in the PL.the pitches will be alot better and Eyal will get more space and time on the ball without fearing being hit by numerous hard challenges.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In any terms, I hope for the best,

Berkovic is a pro in the EPL, and hopefully there will be alot to show off in his game! :D

It sounds like 1st Division is acting like NHL hockey......Each team or lower end teams have 1 player that starts the fight.....

can u imagine being paid 5 million US$ to just fight with others and sit out in the penalty??? :D sounds like a good life for me!!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Than it is wise to explain all those 'mysterious' injuries he has had that made him play only 19 games out of a 46 game roster this season?

If that hip or knee injury gets worse, i don't know what to say about him in the next upcoming games! :( i hope for the best!

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Berkovic is a player that put effort on what he does. Thats why he is my favorite player when he plays for the NT he does it as if it was his last one, so I think in Manchester City is the same thing.
As for his injuries, since he is a creative midfielder plus his age that advances and plus violent players he gets those injuries , too bad:(
But he still has a lot to give:)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally feel that Eyal Berkovic leads the list of "Spoiled Israeli Players". I think he can do more, and there is no reason to say that, he plays in Intenrational feild just for the heck of it! he plays there cause he deserves to! he has quality and creativity and i feel that he shows when he can! :) i personally also feel that he could do more to strengthen his position! :) He is an extremely talented player! :)

Like other sports, most notably hockey.....Players that are good are sometimes attacked by other players in the other team resulting in a massive injury or a retirement due to injury! I think some players from other team are hoping for that :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts