Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By tougher I dont mean better or more exciting to watch, I mean more physical and harder to adapt. The tempo of Premiership football is probably the highest in Europe and the tackles fly everywhere. If you try to strut your stuff like Ronaldo or Reyes you get kicked all over the place. Many people have come and failed.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
To me the word "tough" related to football means playing teams like Greece who only sit back and are hard to crack dow.
So Serie A is imo the toughest league in Europe. Primera Division is the best though and I'm pretty sure that even teams like Villareal or Sevilla would beat the crap out of most PL teams, except for Chelsea Arse and ManUtd.

Technically gifted players fail a bit there becasue they have no one to play with. Veron was too intelligent for the league, his teammates played a simpler football.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Veron couldnt do in EPL, he got raped every time he got the ball. I agree more talented players are in Spain but if those "talents" were to come to an English team I bet they would be shut down. BTW I should make my point clearer, Im talking about the style of football rather than team vs team. The CL is the place to prove that.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Why let them come to PL?
They need a team surrounded by players similar to themselves and don't have that in PL. I'm sure Riquelme would be a major flop in any PL team, but let his Boca side play PL teams and you'll see one way traffic.

PS: I can only see Chelsea winning CL of the PL teams.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I disagree that technically gifted players that use their brains have a hard time succeeding in England. It's those who fail or fail to try to adapt to the pace of the English style are the ones who fail.

Dennis Bergkamp's been playing in England since 1995, I think we can all agree he's one of the smartest and most technically gifted players to ever play, yet he's been apart of two double winning sides, plus an additional league title and cup win. I think it's not that it's simply too fast or whatever, it's the players themselves. Perhaps Veron should've tried to play a bit quicker and not dawdle on the ball so much?

Bergkamp, and most likely Cesc Fabregas, prove your theory wrong that it's simply too physical and fast for technically gifted and intelligent players to succeed in England if they want to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, because in England you are trained mentally and physically to think faster, therefore you play better. If Arsenal doesn't choke all the time in CL i bet they would be a force with their fluidness.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
so its thougher yet EPL teams can hardly crack past spanish and italian teams in CL. Makes sense :thmbup:

Mate its just another style of football, put a great team with a italian/spanish style in EPL and they would imposse their style in most games.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Liternit said:
so its thougher yet EPL teams can hardly crack past spanish and italian teams in CL. Makes sense :thmbup:
English teams in recent years haven't struggled against the Italians at all. It's the Spanish teams where our clubs really struggle for some weird reason. Arsenal's beaten all of Italy's 'big' teams except for Fiorentina (drew and lost) and Milan (haven't played them since 1988) in recent years.

Spanish, yes. Italian, no.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
EPL is certainly more physical than La Liga, but there are a few EPL players that would look comical in La Liga :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
IamEnglish said:
I agree more talented players are in Spain but if those "talents" were to come to an English team I bet they would be shut down.
What about Francesc Fabregas, he's just gotten out of his dipers and successfully faces the "tough" midfielders of the PL.
It's all a matter of being surrounded by the right players and playing under the right manager.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Indeed most Spnaish players are succesful in the Prem and Josemi has not been so bad. He was ok until he got injured. Spanish players find it tougher in Serie A for one reason or another...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Deano said:
EPL is certainly more physical than La Liga, but there are a few EPL players that would look comical in La Liga :D
There are awful players in every league. Savo Milosevic? He was worse than Andy Cole, and he's a god in La Liga :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Each league is different, none is better than the others. Just leave it at that, because this is yet another EPL bashing thread.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Freddy Adu said:
There are awful players in every league. Savo Milosevic? He was worse than Andy Cole, and he's a god in La Liga :dielaugh: :dielaugh:
A god? What league have you been watching?

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Josemi isn't alright. The dude is a joke. I really can't belive he'll win his spot back from Steve Finnan.

Nunez is possibly the worst player in the premiership

Veron failed because he just wanted to go backwards all the time. When midfielders are running at you you don't have all day to pass the ball. Seba never found a way of dealing with that.

It's physically tougher than La Liga for sure. La Liga is technically better. Overall I'd say they're about the same level of football.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I think the midfielders will really find it much tougher to begin with because of the pace and physicality, but if they are fast thinking and willing to adapt they will find the rewards are huge because you can outwit your opponents and create space with one great move.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
IamEnglish said:
By tougher I dont mean better or more exciting to watch, I mean more physical and harder to adapt. The tempo of Premiership football is probably the highest in Europe and the tackles fly everywhere. If you try to strut your stuff like Ronaldo or Reyes you get kicked all over the place. Many people have come and failed.
Harder to adapt? Ask Beckham, who is still adapting... :D ah, he spoke his first words in Spanish a couple of days ago, aside "hola, buenos dias" and the mythical "hijo de puta" in Murcia last season.

More physical? Probably, but I don't think that the difference is that big. Maybe the Spanish teams have a different style, probably we take care of the ball more than in England... but also in general, it's not always this way (Arsenal are definitely more beautiful to watch than Valencia or Atlético, for example).

England and Spain have different styles and that's all, but I don't think that it's harder to adapt. That depends on the player and his conditions. Players that were good in England failed here and the opposite... and others who are good in both countries.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Nunez is possibly the worst player in the premiership
Nuñez might have possibly been the worst player in La Liga as well;)

Mr IamEnglish (or is it Calcio? :googly: ); Fabregas, Reyes, Xabi Alonso (until that criminal tackle), Luis Garcia are doing well. Even the clown of Campo in Bolton is doing ok. And there is some crazy poster here called Petros that says that Almunia is better than Buffon:D At least ALL of them are doing better than Beckham;)

Seriously thouhg, is like Liternit says, its just another style of playing. Some Spanish players will do well in England and others won't just like English players in Spain.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
barça said:
Nuñez might have possibly been the worst player in La Liga as well;)

Mr IamEnglish; Fabregas, Reyes, Xabi Alonso (until that criminal tackle), Luis Garcia are doing well. Even the clown of Campo in Bolton is doing ok. And there is some crazy poster here called Petros that says that Almunia is better than Buffon:D At least ALL of them are doing better than Beckham;)

Seriously thouhg, is like Liternit says, its just another style of playing. Some Spanish players will do well in England and others won't just like English players in Spain.
Did Nunez ever play in La Liga? ;). Yeah, I wasn't suggesting he did well there, just not all Spaniards waltz into EPL and start running the place. Nunez is so funny to watch really, noone seems to bother to mark him because they know that even with all the space in the world he can't do anything!!!

Of the Spaniards in EPL (forgive me if I forget any)...

Reyes.... Started off really well but has had a drop in confidence as of late. He's probably doing about as well here as he was there but will no doubt turn out to be fantastic. Still I think he'd be amazing anywhere. Superb player.

Fabregas... Is just amazing. Maybe the most naturally talented midfielder I've seen show up since I started watching seriously back in the late 80's. Amazing and the sky is the limit as to how good he'll get.

Almunia... Is an ok backup keeper. I'm sure Arsenal will buy someone like Hildebrand, Cudicini or Frey to make him one again in the summer. He's solid but mistake prone.

De Pedro... Never makes it out of the stands.

Campo... Probably isn't that great but fits into the spot Allardyce needs him for really well. Dependable player.

Hierro... Is too old to make an accurate comparison. He gets skinned all the time though, more because he can't run anymore than anything else.

Nunez... Has been covered :yuck:

Josemi... Good tackler, crap at getting forward which a full back needs here. Lets people go past him easily (Ronaldo made a fool of him).

Alonso... Wonderful player, hasn't lost a step since coming over. I need to see him and Gerrard play together for an extended time

Morientes... We'll see on Saturday :shades:

Garcia... When he's good he's good when he's bad he's really bad. Kinda like a Spanish Laurent Robert with far more erratic finishing. Great at getting into good positions but man some of his shots are embarrasing.

Pique... Haven't caught any of the games he's played.

Mendieta... Shame he got injured because he was doing well. Combative yet skillful so he was always going to. Certainly better suited here than Serie A.

Think that's it :party:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Good Post. I think you summarized Luis Garcia perfectly. He used to drive me insane in Barcelona. He would have a brilliant game, scoring great goals and then the next he would just miss the sitters and the easy passes. He's got talent though and fights foreverything.

Is Morientes starting this weekend?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts