Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only seen him play against England in the 1968 Euro cup, and some highlights, so I'm not saying that he is or isn't, I am just asking.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Serb said:
I have only seen him play against England in the 1968 Euro cup, and some highlights, so I'm not saying that he is or isn't, I am just asking.
I`ve never seen him play so I cannot give a quote on him.

I watch soccer since the early eighties and to me, Piksi and Dejo were the greatest, matching each other quite narrowly. Maybe Piksi did better in the NT whereas Dejo on club level.

Dejo had more dynamic but how Piksi touched the ball was incredibly, so tender.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I haven't seen Dzajic much either except for his "famous goals". Any compilations or anything available? I tried searching, it didn't give me anything really.

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
I've seen a couple of games that they've shown on Eurosport and Sky Sports here before major tournaments, our games have always seemed to have been so entertaining.
I've seen the England 68 game, then there were a couple vs the Germans in the 70s that I saw, in this one game also, he was dribbling with the ball downthe wing, a full back following him, he stops the ball but the guy keeps on running, amazing piece of skill. Was so quick. left or right foot, I'd say he was greater than both Dejo and Piksi, he performed consistantly for both club and country over a long period. By dad has seen him, Dejo, Piksi and he says Dzaja was the best. For a left winger the amount of goals he scored was astonishing also. However I do think we didn't get to see everything Piksi could do, I think Platini said in a recent interview that Piksi could do things with a ball that only he could dream of.

·
Registered
27,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dule said:
I've seen a couple of games that they've shown on Eurosport and Sky Sports here before major tournaments, our games have always seemed to have been so entertaining.
I've seen the England 68 game, then there were a couple vs the Germans in the 70s that I saw, in this one game also, he was dribbling with the ball downthe wing, a full back following him, he stops the ball but the guy keeps on running, amazing piece of skill. Was so quick. left or right foot, I'd say he was greater than both Dejo and Piksi, he performed consistantly for both club and country over a long period. By dad has seen him, Dejo, Piksi and he says Dzaja was the best. For a left winger the amount of goals he scored was astonishing also. However I do think we didn't get to see everything Piksi could do, I think Platini said in a recent interview that Piksi could do things with a ball that only he could dream of.
Yeah, Stojkovic never made the impact on European football that he should have, after he left Red STar. But he was a very good player.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I think Stojkovic earned alot of respect in WC 1990.
he was just amazing in that tournament.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Tough question Serb, like most of you here I wasn't even born during Dzaja's era. I've heard the stories though and seen some vids, but that just doesn't do it for me. You have to watch a player in the heat of the moment to really be able to appreciate him.

Therefore he might be the best ever, but personally I can only speak for what I've seen. And Piksi and Dejo top my list in that case.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
I've heard many stories of people who watched football in ex-Yu over the last 40 years and they say the best Serbian player is Milos Milutinovic (plava cigra). I think he passed away last year or the year before.

·
Registered
27,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HordeZla said:
I've heard many stories of people who watched football in ex-Yu over the last 40 years and they say the best Serbian player is Milos Milutinovic (plava cigra). I think he passed away last year or the year before.
He died in 2003.

I just read that he is the brother of Bora Milutinovic. Interesting.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Mihajlovic said:
Where's Akiba when you need him ? :)
Fighting political battles over at Forum B92.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Parni Valjak said:
ustasa sa ustasama..tamo mu je i mesto..
he he actually you'd be surprised.

·
Registered
26 Posts
moj tata meni uvjek prica kako je dzajo rasturo po stadionu :)

Dragan Džajić was a successful Yugoslavian football player. To this day, Džajić is a fan favorite. His nifty skills on the pitch and warm personality made him lovable.

Džajić was born in a small town called Ub on May 30, 1946, just outside of Belgrade. Džajić's pro career spanned from 1961-1978.

He began and retired with Red Star Belgrade. Sandwiched between that was a stint with Bastia in France (1975-1977). With Red Star, he would score 108 goals and 31 more with Bastia.

At 18, Džajić would be named to the Yugoslavian national team. His debut would come on June 17, 1964 versus Romania. At the international level, he earned an impressive 85 caps and 23 goals.

With an educational background in commerce and economics, Džajić would combine these skills, along with his immense knowledge of soccer, and become manager of Red Star Belgrade. As the years passed, he would also serve as club president.

In 2004 he resigned from the position due to, as he stated, "health issues".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts