Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think so. And last night made me believe he is really finished.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SOC_FAN said:
sorry dude but there recently was a similar thread...
really. ;) You can't blame a guy for trying

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Did he ever reach the top?

Always been crap in my book. CL 96 final made me laugh when i saw him play an miss to many sitters. The guy has always been pathetic.

How could Roberto baggio sit on the bench in the 98 WC to such a mediocre player is beyond my imagination!

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Did he ever reach the top?

Always been crap in my book.
Haven't really been paying attention, have you? Saying he's past his best and isn't good enough for Juve anymore is fair enough but trying to discredit his best moments is quite sad, Ze.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I saw him a lot in 96. Never done nothing in Euro 96, WC 98, Euro 2000.

When was he good?? I definitly never seen him play a good game. In the CL final of 96 he was rated right on the top... the guy never did nothing, just missed open goals

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
That's right, at Euro96 Sacchi gave him 45 minutes. During France98 he was carrying an injury and never played well and at Euro2000 he was kept on the bench all the time, but when he did play he played well but then noone remembers that because he missed two sitters in the final. CL final 96 he missed a couple of shots, yes.

So that sums up his whole career, does it? 3 tournaments of a combined duration of about 90 days + one match = 12 years of professional soccer?

It's no secret that his international career has been unspectacular but at least in the 97/98, when Juventus won the league title and lost the CL final, he was widely regarded as the best player in the league (with Ronaldo), tipped to win European player of the year and scored 32 goals. That was his peek, he's never matched it since.

·
Administrator
53,260 Posts
How utterly utterly pathetic of you Ze.You not being completely rational is nothing new.But this takes the cake.Del Piero was never good? jeeez....

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
numerodix said:
That's right, at Euro96 Sacchi gave him 45 minutes. During France98 he was carrying an injury and never played well and at Euro2000 he was kept on the bench all the time, but when he did play he played well but then noone remembers that because he missed two sitters in the final. CL final 96 he missed a couple of shots, yes.

So that sums up his whole career, does it? 3 tournaments of a combined duration of about 90 days + one match = 12 years of professional soccer?

It's no secret that his international career has been unspectacular but at least in the 97/98, when Juventus won the league title and lost the CL final, he was widely regarded as the best player in the league (with Ronaldo), tipped to win European player of the year and scored 32 goals. That was his peek, he's never matched it since.

In other words: simply a one season wonder :)

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
In other words: simply a one season wonder :)
So being the best player in Europe for one season is crap? Well then there aren't many players out there who aren't crap.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Injuries have got the better of him,He's been decimated through them left right and centre.Very difficult to be the player he was Pre the 98 Tragedy.

·
Administrator
53,260 Posts
You just said,he was never good.And you admit that he was great in that season(best in the world then) but you say he is a one season wonder now?How much does your little opinion weight wen you just spew bull and change after you are proven wrong again. :pp Like mentionning one of his other seasons,any one of them really.Wen he was actually bad was just after he just recovered from the injury.Otherwise he is been very vital for the team,being decent as worse or great.Being out injured for a season doesnt count as a bad season exactly.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
numerodix said:
So being the best player in Europe for one season is crap? Well then there aren't many players out there who aren't crap.
Well... he was possibily the best player in Europe for some publications in 96. HOwever, Mathias Sammer got an award and so did Ronaldo.
In Brazil, 96 was the year of Rivaldo, which IMO he was better than what Ronaldo was in Barcelona.

Anyway, if he was one of the ebst in Europe for one season good for him.

In XT many people don't reate Michael Owen (I rate him a lot ):) . And he was the best European player in 2001, and many people think he is not all that.

Del Piero has never been nothing special for him. I still can't understand all the hype around him, specially after all the seasons he has done nothing. It's been 8 years since 97, and he still is starting for a club of the magnitude of Juventus. Quite surprising if you ask me!

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Well... he was possibily the best player in Europe for some publications in 96. HOwever, Mathias Sammer got an award and so did Ronaldo.
In Brazil, 96 was the year of Rivaldo, which IMO he was better than what Ronaldo was in Barcelona.
I'm talking about 1998 in case you didn't notice. In 98, Zidane was Fifa World player of the year and won the Golden Ball thanks to the World Cup victory.

Ze da Fiel said:
In XT many people don't reate Michael Owen (I rate him a lot ):) . And he was the best European player in 2001, and many people think he is not all that.
Oh really? And what the hell has Owen done? He won the Uefa Cup and a couple of Mickey Mouse trophies in 1999, one season wonder then?

Ze da Fiel said:
Del Piero has never been nothing special for him. I still can't understand all the hype around him, specially after all the seasons he has done nothing. It's been 8 years since 97, and he still is starting for a club of the magnitude of Juventus. Quite surprising if you ask me!
Well let's see.. 12 seasons at Juventus, Baggio was sold in his favor because club officials believed he could be just as good or better, played 428 matches, scored 171 goals (3rd highest all time club scorer), won 5 league titles etc. But I suppose you consider that just carrying dead weight?

·
Administrator
53,260 Posts
Not to mention he wasn't just one in many.But the most vital player in almost ALL of those season.How bad most Juventus be if the best player for them in the last decade has been useless.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts