Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Euro 2004 Greece showed an uber defensive team with great team work CAN win games and now chelsea with Their defense first approach have tied up the english premiership (baring a miracle) do you feel soccer is moving in a more defensive way? I personally don't see it happening but if it does go in a more defensive way i think the game will only be moving backwards instead of forwards. Good defenseive play by a team is good to watch but not when it becomes the whole purpose of the team! I want to see goals! :happy:

·
Registered
580 Posts
You know, you don't win titles without a solid defence.

Other than that I have no idea what you're on about. Chelsea play beautiful. I find it exciting to watch games where one team defends and counter-attacks...for example, Latvia-Germany, Latvia-Czech Republic. I do not find exciting games such as Porto and Deportivo.

In other words, a bad team playing defend and counterattack against a good team :star:

Two teams playing defense only :thmbdown:

Maybe you think it is more important to have a good offense than a good defense because of Real Madrid? I admit it's exciting to watch just how bad 11 of the best players in the world can perform!

However, you should also recognize that counterattacking football and long ball tactics are not always boring. If these balls actually get somewhere, you will watch a very exciting game. To be honest I would rather watch a defend and counterattack game rather than a midfield battle.

So, in short, I have no idea what the point of this post or your post was.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Offense sells tickets to the tourists, while defense wins championships. Teams that are defensively sound usually have a better chance at progessing through the latter stages of tournaments, such as the Euros or the Uefa Champions League. Take last year for instance. Porto had possibly the best defense in Europe only conceding a couple goals after the round of 16. Monaco had a very balanced team and when Deschamps sorted out the back four the team started to click in gear, espeically after that 8-3 drubbing of Deportivo. Once teams know how to defend they have a better chance of being successful. Such as in the case of Arsenal, they have a very leaky defense and their tactics are not suited for Europe, so they lost to a good Chelsea side in the quarterfinals. I consider tactics to be a major part of the game as they help to shut down the opponent in the best way suited. Rehagel's Greece was very adept at shutting down the opposition, no matter who they were, and relied on the odd goal to take them through. Although this is risky business, it works if the team knows the system. If I was (or when I become) a manager I would start with the back, and work forward after the defense is secured or at it's best. Then the goals when come after.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yaf said:
You know, you don't win titles without a solid defence.

Other than that I have no idea what you're on about. Chelsea play beautiful. I find it exciting to watch games where one team defends and counter-attacks...for example, Latvia-Germany, Latvia-Czech Republic. I do not find exciting games such as Porto and Deportivo.

In other words, a bad team playing defend and counterattack against a good team :star:

Two teams playing defense only :thmbdown:

Maybe you think it is more important to have a good offense than a good defense because of Real Madrid? I admit it's exciting to watch just how bad 11 of the best players in the world can perform!

However, you should also recognize that counterattacking football and long ball tactics are not always boring. If these balls actually get somewhere, you will watch a very exciting game. To be honest I would rather watch a defend and counterattack game rather than a midfield battle.

So, in short, I have no idea what the point of this post or your post was.
My point of the post yaf was to see if people felt soccer in general was becoming more defensive. I find midfield battles more exciting while you find defend and counter attack to be more exciting.....so to each his own. Real madrid are not playing bad.....they are just under performing! ( :depress: It's getting harder and harder to defend real madrid) i believe they are in second place now and that ain't too bad.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Andr3w said:
Offense sells tickets to the tourists, while defense wins championships. Teams that are defensively sound usually have a better chance at progessing through the latter stages of tournaments, such as the Euros or the Uefa Champions League. Take last year for instance. Porto had possibly the best defense in Europe only conceding a couple goals after the round of 16. Monaco had a very balanced team and when Deschamps sorted out the back four the team started to click in gear, espeically after that 8-3 drubbing of Deportivo. Once teams know how to defend they have a better chance of being successful. Such as in the case of Arsenal, they have a very leaky defense and their tactics are not suited for Europe, so they lost to a good Chelsea side in the quarterfinals. I consider tactics to be a major part of the game as they help to shut down the opponent in the best way suited. Rehagel's Greece was very adept at shutting down the opposition, no matter who they were, and relied on the odd goal to take them through. Although this is risky business, it works if the team knows the system. If I was (or when I become) a manager I would start with the back, and work forward after the defense is secured or at it's best. Then the goals when come after.
:thmbup:

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Actually I think the game has come full circle. The most defensive-minded era was arguably in the early 90s, starting with the awful World Cup in Italy. It went like that for a while, then football slowly started to reward attacking teams all over again in recent times. Greece and Porto aren't defensive-minded teams. There's a difference between teams which set out to defend and teams which have a strong defence and make use of their strengths to capitalise on their chances in a match or tournament.

Chelsea aren't defensive-minded; they don't start every match aiming to draw 0-0; they start every match aiming to concede no goals but score a couple. That's a championship winning mentality, and modern football is as such.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think you will notice that mainly the teams that have a chance of winning the title normally draw 0-0 or in 1-0 or soemthing very close. Occasionally it will end 3-2 or something, bt that would be due to early goals. Teams that can cancel others out are the ones that have a serious shot of winning things. if your defence concedes too much against small teams, they will almost definitely concede v the big guns, unless the problem is sorted out by the match.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Keep in mind that in Italy 90, you got 1 point for draw and 2 for victory, Drawing was almost as good as winning. More teams passed the groupstages too. Since they installed the 3 point for victory, drawing will be delusional ln the long run. Football in the last few years has indeed become more defensive minded, Teams all over the world, especially in England have learned how to play good defensive football and control a lead. English NT with Eriksson did that, but also Man U and Chelsea for example. It's effective and if you have a good defence you win games. Defence is the most important in the game, if you have a good defence and concede few goals you're safe and can concentrate on other parts of the team. If Inter had conceded fewer goals they would be on top by now. Still un-defeated but 12 draws if not more and many cheap goals conceded vs crap teams.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
after watching last nights barcelona and madrid games, then certainly NO defense is not making a comeback

all 5 goals were pathetic defending

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Defensive football has always been around. And there are various degrees of defending. At least Chelsea defends with the attack in the back of their minds. But the Inter of Cuper for instance only thought about defence. Arsenal is in the essence a counterattacking side as well. Ajax has always been an attacking side and hopefully always will (although Koeman tries to screw that up). Barça is about beautifull football as well. AC Milan is a counter attacking team. btw, stop calling football soccer please :)

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I wouldn't go as far and say that defensive football is on the come back as it has always generally been there, just managers and teams are more aware of the fact that you need a strong backline to win things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stygmata said:
stop calling football soccer please :)

What does it matter what i call it. if i called soccer "oihfoew" would it take anything away from the game. No! you might as well tell the italians to not call it calcio or the south americans to stop calling it futbol. What anyone calls the game is irrelevant :mad:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Oliver Norvell said:
Did it ever go away? It's always been a story of cowards trying to steal games like thieves in the night, with the occasion beautiful exception.
You obviously do not appreciate the beauty of tactically adept football. Maybe kick-ball is better suited for you.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Andr3w said:
You obviously do not appreciate the beauty of tactically adept football. Maybe kick-ball is better suited for you.
Milan & Barca defends tactically, but still did not compromise their overall attacking play.

It when you're game plan is reliant on the defensive side to win the game is what he dislikes. I think that's what he meant by the thieves analogy.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
Milan & Barca defends tactically, but still did not compromise their overall attacking play.

It when you're game plan is reliant on the defensive side to win the game is what he dislikes. I think that's what he meant by the thieves analogy.
Its not fair to call us thieves because we rely heavily on defensive football. Every club uses the tactics that suit them best.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
The building of a good team starts at the back...if you dont concede, you dont lose.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Andr3w said:
And you are obviously an expert. And wasn't your mentor Fabio Capello the philistine who couldn't incorporate a genius like Savicevic into his team. Is that what you mean by "tactically adept"?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Hey, his record speaks for itself buddy. I have no comment on Savicevic because I am not sure what his situation was like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts