Registered
I M Inter Milan I M
25,087 Posts
Reactions: Firdaus and LCF

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Btw, a decade of writing legends as CB can make people forget that Ramos was at one point in the best RB conversation.

As far back as 2007 he finished 15th for XT's World Player of the Year poll. Next year was included in both FIFA and UEFA team of the year and was the highest ranked defender at the Ballon d'Or. During Spain's only World Cup triumph he was the highest rated player of the entire competition based on average ratings. In La Liga that year he had a 7.71 rating according to whoscored (as high as Maicon's best season on record). Next year (2011) again included in the FIFA Team of the Year.

So before winning a shitloads of CLs, my dude was a monster full-back. But that tends to get down played when you played your best years in another position.

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
Thuram was better defensively, Cafu and Alves going forward, JZ the total package.

Zambrotta was as good as any of them in his 20s, imo, but his (surprising) early decline is a drawback.

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Btw, a decade of writing legends as CB can make people forget that Ramos was at one point in the best RB conversation.

As far back as 2007 he finished 15th for XT's World Player of the Year poll. Next year was included in both FIFA and UEFA team of the year and was the highest ranked defender at the Ballon d'Or. During Spain's only World Cup triumph he was the highest rated player of the entire competition based on average ratings. In La Liga that year he had a 7.71 rating according to whoscored (as high as Maicon's best season on record). Next year (2011) again included in the FIFA Team of the Year.

So before winning a shitloads of CLs, my dude was a monster full-back. But that tends to get down played when you played your best years in another position.
Was very good as the RB for Spain in their 08 and 2010 triumphs!

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Thuram was better defensively, Cafu and Alves going forward, JZ the total package.

Zambrotta was as good as any of them in his 20s, imo, but his (surprising) early decline is a drawback.
Yeah, I dunno what happened with Zambrotta?

He was quite shit at Barca, signed with them when he was 29 too.

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
Yeah, I dunno what happened with Zambrotta?

He was quite shit at Barca, signed with them when he was 29 too.
He was quite an early bloomer, a revelation for Bari, but as a winger. I do remember he played wing-back on the right at Euro 2000, though. But then the others were obvious talents early on as well.

Thuram probably played >90% of his club games at CB, btw...

·
Registered
Ajax Amsterdam, LR Vicenza Virtus
21 Posts
Wim Suurbier and Tarcisio Burgnich?
Unforunately we live in a society where the more time passes the more trophies are added, and the more people are convinced that the best is the one who either wins the most or scores the most, we can leave the numbers to John Nash, Football is something else.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
Anyone who picks Zlatan the fraud over Eto'o I'd say was severely mentally unhinged.
Pep Guardiola did in 2009... :neutral: didn't quite work out in CL even if Zlatan did win La Liga with them in his one season at Barca.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
Reactions: Reza

·
Registered
Valencia CF
265 Posts
Pep Guardiola did in 2009... :neutral: didn't quite work out in CL even if Zlatan did win La Liga with them in his one season at Barca.
It's mad to think, that if that swap wasn't made that summer Barca would've won 3 CLs in a row imo! (09-11)

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
And there was no money for Mou to use since he had squandered everything on Quaresma, Amantino Mancini and Muntari the previous summer

Pep took care of all that :)

·
Registered
47,701 Posts
Amantino Mancini was worth every penny. He was bought to be Maicon's goal celebration dancing partner even when he was on the bench.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
And there was no money for Mou to use since he had squandered everything on Quaresma, Amantino Mancini and Muntari the previous summer

Muntari was a starter in 08-09 so I wouldn't say he was money wasted

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
It's curious how the actual wingers experiment of 08-09 failed (Mancini and Trivela boy), and yet the following season 2 forwards played on the wing (Eto'o and Pandev) and we won the Treble.

·
Registered
66,328 Posts

Laporta too obviously. Moratti must love him.

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
34,824 Posts
Laporta too obviously. Moratti must love him.
I dont remember how big a role Laporta played, but I guess Pep wanted to make an important change and it didn't work out. As when Fergie tried Veron.

Maybe they also wanted to get rid of Eto'o

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
I dont remember how big a role Laporta played, but I guess Pep wanted to make an important change and it didn't work out. As when Fergie tried Veron.

Maybe they also wanted to get rid of Eto'o
Laporta gave us money (40-50mill) on top of Eto'o in return for Zlatan, so he certainly deserves credit.

I believe Eto'o had personal problems with Pep iinm

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
66,328 Posts
It's mad to think, that if that swap wasn't made that summer Barca would've won 3 CLs in a row imo! (09-11)
Quite possibly yes.

And one of them, in 2010, at Santiago Bernabeu of all stadia...

That was the year of revenge of ex

Mourinho over Barca
Eto'o over Barca
Lucio over Bayern
And Sneijder winning CL at Bernabeu..

21 - 40 of 47 Posts