Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...for the remaining 2 games? Is it a coincidence that the oppositon allows 3 goals in his absence? I don't recall Bayern scoring 3 goals since the begining of the season when he was injured. Does the team play better without him? Sometimes I wonder if Bayern were better off without him this season. His play has been horrible. He hasn't had the fire on the pitch. It's almost as if he is playing with an undisclosed injury. The only thing that has been running hot is his mouth, against fellow players and of course the unemployed.

Effenberg has been a great asset to Bayern for many years. All the titles would probably not have been won without his leadership. But alas, all things eventually pass. So it appears with his time at Sabenner Strasse.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do think Bayern this season have played better in his absence. there is more movement in midfield and more options to go for. With Effenberg on the field this season, the ball had to be always passed to him. In most cases he would try to slow down the game or tru a deft pass that never goes through. His leadership has been valuable throughout three years of success, and like you said, a big chunck of that success comes down to his leadership in the past few seasons.

This season though, when we have a fit Brazzo and Scholl and an in form Santa Cruz, we sure look more attacking and hungry. With Effe on the field, the machine seemed clogged and slow because he tends to slow down the pace of the team. With him on the field, the team was very centerlized and lacked penetration on the wings. I think Scholl did a better job against Hertha taking over Effe's rule.

I won't deny that Effe had done so much for Bayern during his time at Bayern, and I will always remember the moments he led our team, but I sure won't feel too bad if he left at the end of the season. We need people who are willing to do more running on the field than talking off it.

Next season, we will have a great team and I am already being optimistic. I hope Jeremies takes over some of the leading role that Effenberg had. I predict for him to be Bayern's captain sometime in the future.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Effenberg is indeed getting old, and it's time for him to move on as everyone does in life at certain point. Bayern need a younger playmaker who is willing and capable of running on the pitch. After all, Bayern need that transition in midfield in order to give their front line more support. Clearly, they have been lacking in that area this season.

·
Registered
194 Posts
:depress: :depress: :depress:

Well effe is undoubtebly my favourite player,his footballing skills were never extraordinary...but is there anyone else with a more spunk than tiger..?..i think not....i still get goose bumps when is play back his reaction after scoring the equaliser against valencia in my mind...,but i admit the team has played well without exception when he wasnt in it..,like q80 said he's had so much of the ball but hasn't used it.

No one can fill his place,that's impossible,we might find an inspiring leader for our team next season but not an awe inspiring one..

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Effenberg indeed is slow and takes the game speed down but Bayern are definitely not better off without their leader, at least with the current squad. In the Bayern matches I've seen this season, Effenberg has also had problems with passing. Nowhere near his last season form:(. Great if you found an equal replacement. Scholl and Jeremies lack captain skills and mentality but can they replace Effenberg in the meaning of taking over Effenberg's position on the pitch being equal or even better?

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
With Ballack we found a much better replacement, a younger more talented calmer player who is world class. I guess that pretty much summed it up :stuckup:.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about Ballack :embarass::D.

Now the issue remains- where do you sell Effenberg who still is too much of a leader to be benched for the next season;)?
Jeremies, Scholl, Ballack, Effenberg; that's too many central midfielders:D.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Scholl isn't central ;) at least he doesn't play central midfielder.
Effenberg will go to Manchester City, I think he already got a contract there...

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Tigerheart said:
Effenberg will go to Manchester City, I think he already got a contract there...
Well, that's kinda weird- Man City can afford his wage demands and Atlético can't? I would have liked to see Effenberg playing for Atlético in La Liga though...:(

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I think Keegan is managing Manchester City,so i think this is why Effenberg might have agreed to join Man City.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Keegan is nothing so special as coach, Atlético have a great coach too- Luis Aragonés. And La Liga is an excellent league for midfielders:(.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
The Champ said:
...for the remaining 2 games? Is it a coincidence that the oppositon allows 3 goals in his absence? I don't recall Bayern scoring 3 goals since the begining of the season when he was injured.
Bearing in mind 1 of the goals was an own-goal and Scholl had just returned with his creativity and Salihamidzic was finally in-form, I'd say give the Tiger all the left chances. He deserves it fully.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Effenberg won't play in Wolfsburg and at the last game will maybe only play the last 10 minutes.
Well, it's all his fault, why did he make that stupid comment? Despite of course that he is right :tongue: :D ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
byebye, effenberg...

Thursday, April 25, 2002
Effenberg agrees to City switch
By John Drayton

Stefan Effenberg, the former Germany international, has agreed to join Kevin Keegan's Manchester City revolution.
The Bayern Munich midfielder has accepted a two-year contract worth around £30,000 a week and joins on a free transfer on July 1.

The outspoken star will join former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel in City's bid to take the Premiership by storm next season.

Effenberg was wanted by Fulham and Tottenham earlier in the season, but jumped at the chance to move to newly-promoted City.

He will see out the final two months of his contract at Bayern - but has already said yes to a pre-contract deal at Maine Road. The 33-year-old will sign within the next seven days.

Keegan made Effenberg his top target as soon as City won promotion and he has taken just three weeks to lure him to Manchester.

The City boss believes the arrival of Effenberg and Schmeichel will signal intent from a club that is on the up again.

Effenberg has been a central figure in Bayern's success in recent years, but will be leaving the club under a cloud.

He has always been a controversial figure, retiring from international football at 25 after being sent home in disgrace from the 1994 World Cup Finals.

The midfielder was axed after making an abusive gesture to German fans and played only twice more for his country in a brief comeback in 1998.

Only last week he caused uproar in Germany by offending the nation's unemployed in a controversial interview with Playboy magazine.

Effenberg said: 'I would cut spending on the unemployed to an absolute minimum so they would be forced to work.'

He was dropped from the Bayern team to face Hertha Berlin last Saturday after claiming the unemployed were lazy and sponging off the welfare system.

European champions Bayern condemned him for his comments, and he may have played his last game for them. German legend Franz Beckenbauer, Bayern's president, believes Effenberg should be left out of Saturday's match at Wolfsburg for his own safety.

Beckenbauer said: 'Effenberg's comments have started an avalanche which cannot be stopped.

'I told him not to go to Wolfsburg as it is a working-class city and going there would only lead to further misunderstanding.'

soccernet

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ballack might have been the best German performer this year, but he still lacks the vision and passing skills of Effenberg -with the exception of this season. I reckon Ballack as a goal machine because he can score with his head and feet. He has been instrumental for Leverkusen and is the best player they have. But I stick to what I have said about him before, the guy cannot pass well and lacks the vision to see his teammates on the field. I like the way he scores but I cannot see him being the team's playermaker. Next season, he will add strength to our midfield and will hopefully score the goals that our forwards can't score. I think Scholl will take the playmaking duties and burden next season as I do not see Ballack simply being that kind of player. Having said that, I am happy that Ballack is imporving game after game and giving me reason to be happu about him joing us. Maybe with Effenberg out and Ballack in, we will abolish that centerlized approach of playing around one. With him in, we will have the playingmaking duties distributed among others. I do feel that is better for Bayern's future. We sure do not want to depend on one player to drive the team's plan on the field. We need a captain though, a player with PERSONALITY. Kahn is the onbvious choice of course, but you need one on the field who can reach out to all the players and there is only one choice in my head at the moment, JENS JEREMIES.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Re: byebye, effenberg...

Carson35 said:
Stefan Effenberg, the former Germany international, has agreed to join Kevin Keegan's Manchester City revolution.
The Bayern Munich midfielder has accepted a two-year contract worth around £30,000 a week and joins on a free transfer on July 1.

The outspoken star will join former Manchester United goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel in City's bid to take the Premiership by storm next season.
Funny really, because these are his words:
by Effenberg himself
I will definitely not play for Manchester. I phoned the club on Monday and turned them down. I will announce later, at the right time, where my journey will take me.
I also found out that his wage demands were £60,000 (US$87,000) a week, so I wonder, was he really spo desperate to leave Germany to have agreed with a 2 times lower salary:eek:?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Effenberg didnt accept the offer from Man. City ,he will wait till he leaves Bayern until he decides his future.........
Moreover,Effenberg wont playing this week against Wolfsburg.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am definitely glad that effenberg has been dropped out of the team. Of all the bayern games I have watched this season, there is only in which he played well, i.e. the one against stuttgart. Other that that, I believe he has been our weakest link. I HATE the way he slows down the games. And plus he has a big mouth. As someone else pointed out, I prefer Ballack who is more talented, scores far more often and yet is calm. Also, I don't understand why effenberg cannot get over the fact that he is simply not as good as he used to be, by demanding small clubs to pay ludicrous amounts of money for his services. Frankly, i am not willing to pay anything to have him in my team. In fact, I would go as far as paying him NOT to play. It was so nice watching the herta berlin game without him. The pace of the game was simply thrilling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i think they would be better off without effenburg. i think he was a little to defensive this past year and i think that really hurt bayern. i know that they most of the times they play defensive alot or most of the teams in the bundesliga do. but he had some great opportunities to take advantage of on the counter attack with numbers and would just then pull up and relax and look for support. i think he should of made a little more effort to attack when they were tied in some key matches. like that champions league game against real. that was pretty ****ty and i think bayern still should of won that match. they always wait so long to attack till its too late. but whatever with ballack and i'm hopeing for Ze Roberto to move in. would be ultra sweet they then could have a real attacking force in the mid. and if some how they could skank Lucio from leverkusen would be the greastest team ever for bayern. imagine that. damm

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Bayern will be getting Edmilson as a central defender and he is better than Lucio defensively but not as good as Lucio attackingly,but anyways Edmilson will benefit the team more than Lucio;) .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts