Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denis Irwin has stressed that he will not be hanging around Old Trafford if he finds he is no longer a regular in Sir Alex Fergsuon's side.
The 35-year-old, who has been United's regular left-back during his 10 years at Old Trafford, claims he could not bear to watch from the sidelines.

Irwin, who has a testimonial against Manchester City at Old Trafford on August 16, said: "I've always said it would be very hard for me if I wasn't in the team.

"I think Nigel Winterburn at Arsenal has found the same this year and he's moved on. I like playing and I've played so many big games here that if I started watching big games, I think it would be a major disappointment for me."

The Republic of Ireland international signed a new one-year contract with the Premier League champions in the summer and is determined that Phil Neville and Mickael Silvestre will face a real challenge for the left-back berth.

"I'm going to fight tooth and nail to stay and hang on to that first-team place," he said.

Meanwhile, United are embarking on a youth recruitment drive with young French attacker Julien Viale poised to follow David Fox into Old Trafford.

Viale, who is member of the Lyon Youth team, has been offered a three-year deal, and is understood to be eager to join the former European champions.

Earlier this week, United agreed a three-year deal with Exeter to take 16-year-old Fox to Manchester on his first professional contract.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts