·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northern Ireland

Champions league 1st round qual
Linfield - Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)

Uefa cup 1st round qual
Glentoran - SK Liepajas Metalurgs (Latvia)
Cliftonville - FC København (Denmark)

Intertoto cup
Lisburn distillery 3 - 6 TPS Turku

Republic of Ireland

Champions league 1st round qual
Drogheda - FC Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)

Uefa cup 1st round qual

Olimps (Latvia) - St Patrick's
Cork - Haka (Finland)

Intertoto cup
Bohemians 9–3 Rhyl

Riga 2–2 Bohemians , Riga win on away goals

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Linfield and Cliftonville look set to be heavily beaten. Glentroan and St Pats i think may have an outside chance along with Drogheda

Cork i think will also be beaten

Linfield v Dinamo Zagreb

David Jeffrey's Linfield face a tough Champions League match
Linfield will be without several first team players when they take on Dinamo Zagreb in Wednesday's Champions League qualifier at Windsor Park.

Veteran striker Glenn Ferguson is away while midfielders Oran Kearney and Damien Curran are injured.
Full-back Jim Ervin is a long-term absentee because of a cruciate ligament sustained in April.

Top scorer Peter Thompson could also be out if his transfer to Stockport is completed on Wednesday.

Dinamo lost two of their best players during the summer.
Captain Luka Modric - one of the stars of the Euro 2008 finals - moved to Spurs while fellow Croatian international Ognjen Vukojevic joined Dynamo Kiev.

Even so, the Belfast club will be definite underdogs against side which has won the Croatian League 10 times.

"We see it as a massive challenge," said manager David Jeffrey.

"They won their league by 20 points and have five Croatian internationals.

"But there is quality in our side too and I feel Linfield's players will do very well."

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Linfield 0-2 Dinamo Zagreb

Linfield are facing an early Champions League exit after losing to Dinamo Zagreb in the first leg of their first round qualifying tie.
Mario Mandzuki put the Croats ahead on 16 minutes with a shot into the corner.
Zagreb dominated but wasted a series of chances before an error from keeper Alan Mannus allowed Dino Drpic to score with a 90th minute free-kick.

Peter Thompson was a late substitute in what is likely to be his last Linfield game before a transfer.
Norwich City and Stockport County have tabled bids for the Northern Ireland striker while Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies was in Belfast to watch the 24-year-old.

Mandzuki headed wide from 10 yards before netting after a good pass from Pedro Morales.
Former Aston Villa forward Bosko Balaban fired over with a 30-yard free-kick after 24 minutes.
Dinamo keeper Tomislav Butina fisted out an Aidan O'Kane strike in what was Linfield's only shot on target.

A mistake by Kris Lindsay allowed Mandzuki through but his chip over a stranded Mannus drifted wide.
Mannus diverted a Balaban shot wide and from the resulting corner Igor Biscan, a Champions League winner with Liverpool in 2005, headed straight at the home keeper.

The pace dropped in the second half but Zagreb remained in control and Mandzuki squandered another opportunity on 74 minutes when he shot over from close range.
Biscan should have scored three minutes from time but his weak header from three yards was easily cleared off the line by Linfield debutant Conor Hagan.
A 1-0 defeat would have given the Blues hope for next Wednesday's second leg but Zagreb doubled their lead with just seconds left.
Drpic sent in a low free-kick from the edge of the box and Mannus failed to get down in time to prevent the ball hitting the net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linfield: Mannus, Hagan, Bailie, Murphy, Douglas, Mulgrew, Gault, Lindsay, McAreavey, O'Kane, Downey.

Dinamo Zagreb: Butina, Etto, Drpic, Biscan, Carlos, Mikic, Vrdoljak, Chago, Mandzukic, Morales, Balaban.

Totallly outclased in most departments, Dinamo should have scored much more but didnt seem to have much creativity going forward

Drogheda united won 2-1 tonight at home, but still have it all to do in Estonia

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
It would be disastrous for Irish football if Drogheda couldn't clear this one.

Tough luck Linfield. I find it scandalous that the actual champions of NI and Croatia have to play more qualifying games than the nr 4 of some other countries. Liverpool haven't won the English league in over 15 years, Linfield won their league 3x in a row. Where is the logics? Honestly, I think the CL setup is a farce, I said it before and will keep on saying it. Luckily Rosenborg isn't it, this means I can boycot the whole thing once the interesting teams are out (and with the exception of maybe 1 or 2, this means once the qualifiers are over)

St Pats and Glentoran should win their ties, while I do think Cork are slight favourites as well.

·
Registered
70,296 Posts
I don't mean to sound cocky, but Dinamo Zagreb are way too strong to be starting from the first round qualifiers, but **** ups from other Croatian clubs caused this, I agree with you cracked'...fourth placed teams have an easier entry to the CL than champions of actual leagues

The game itself wasn't that great, Linfield defended with every player even in their own box, and everytime they had the ball they;d easily give it up, while Dinamo seemed dis-interested at times and made too many sloppy passes.
For a short while when Thompson came on, Linfield pressed forward and the crowd got into the match but the partnership of Biscan-Drpic was too good for Linfield.
Your goalkeeper had a great match though, but at times he had trouble holding the ball

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glentoran 1 - 1 SK Liepajas Metalurgs
Cliftonville 0 - 4 FC København

Olimps 0 - 1 St Patrick's
Cork 2 - 2 Haka

Seems so far my predictions are spot on. St Pats obviously in the best position but Glentroran and Cork still have a chance despite the away goals against them

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
How could Bohs screw it against Riga? :wallbang:

Also a bad result from Cork... expected them to survive at least one round... :moan:
Anyway, they came back from 0-2 behind so there's still hope for the return.

Cliftonville where without a chance of course versus a team like Copenhagen, just as Linfield versus Dinamo.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I hope Cork gets kicked out. It probably has to do with me supporting Shelbourne, but I sort of dislike Cork and their slightly arrogant fans.

I wish all other Irish teams well though (well, St Pats is a borderline case due to their rivalry with Shels) and I really hope Drogheda and Glentoran will make it through.

The losses for Linfield and Cliftonville were expected but I am surprised Cliftonville lost so severely. Having to play in Lurgan instead of their own stadium surely didn't help, but still...

What were the attendances?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dinamo Zagreb 1-1 Linfield

Linfield produced a heroic display to draw 1-1 in the second leg of their Champions League first qualifying round tie against Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia.

The Irish League champions went down 3-1 on aggregate over the two legs.
Mario Mandzukic completed a fine move by firing low past Alan Mannus to give the home side a third minute lead.
In wet conditions, Jamie Mulgrew headed against the post in the 52nd minute but Michael Gault headed home a Conor Downey right-wing cross on 54 minutes.

Linfield goalkeeper Alan Mannus made some fine saves to ensure his side salvaged a draw from the game.

Good result, didnt see that happening at all

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Bwah here the opposite.

At least they're from the real capital of Ireland. :stuckup: :ass:
:howler:

Cork is only the 3rd largest city on the island and the 2nd largest in the Republic. And personally I thought it felt more like a big town rather than a real city. To call it the real capital just proves my point about arrogance of Cork people, just like their "Republic of Cork" crap. Next year Shelbourne is back in the top division and the league trophy will retutn home to Tolka :)

PS: women from Cork tend to be quite nice though

PS II: culturally, Belfast is the only capital of the island. The artistic scene in Belfast is big, bigger than the one in Dublin even.

Linfield produced a heroic display to draw 1-1 in the second leg of their Champions League first qualifying round tie against Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia.

The Irish League champions went down 3-1 on aggregate over the two legs.
Mario Mandzukic completed a fine move by firing low past Alan Mannus to give the home side a third minute lead.
In wet conditions, Jamie Mulgrew headed against the post in the 52nd minute but Michael Gault headed home a Conor Downey right-wing cross on 54 minutes.

Linfield goalkeeper Alan Mannus made some fine saves to ensure his side salvaged a draw from the game.

Good result, didnt see that happening at all
Too bad this was not the first leg, if they drew 1-1 with a home game still ahead it'd give them a rise in confidence and maybe then a shock was possible. Now with the 0-2 from Belfast this return game felt like a needless fixture. How many Linfield travelled? I know they usually bring a few hundreds even when qualification is unlikely...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not many travelled, there are no direct flights from Northern Ireland to Croatia. Looked like about 20 went lol

Linfield star hails stirring draw

Steven Douglas celebrates with team doctor Cameron Ramsey
Linfield's Steven Douglas hailed his side's draw against Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League first qualifying round as an "unbelievable result".
After Linfield's 2-0 first leg defeat by the Croats, a hammering look on the cards in Zagreb but the Blues instead claimed a stirring 1-1 away draw.

"Collectively, the boys were awesome," Douglas told BBC Sport.

"This has to be one of Linfield's best ever European displays. It was amazing when you consider we could have won."

Douglas rightly pointed that Jamie Mulgrew hit the Zagreb woodwork in the second half while Glenn Ferguson also went close to sealing a famous win for the Blues.

"There was a lot of rain and the conditions were very difficult but all the boys shone," added Douglas.

Linfield also held their composure despite the match being interrupted when home fans threw flares into the Northern Ireland Champions' goalmouth.
Goalscorer Michael Gault described the occasion as a "marvellous experience".

"I'm just delighted to have got a goal in a match like that," said Gault.

"We all just kept battling to the end and we fully deserved to get the result."

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Cork and Glens are already out... :moan:

FC Haka - Cork City 4-0 (2-2 first leg)

Liepajas Metalurgs - Glentoran 2-0 (1-1 first leg)

St Pat's just started their match at 20.45, Cliftonville were chanceless already after their first leg, now they're 3-0 behind at half time...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Cliftonville lost 7-0 :lazy: That means 11-0 aggregate, what an embarrasment. At least the other Northern Irish clubs did not humiliate themselves (Linfield can even keep their head up high) but what a total embarrasment for Cliftonville...

St Pats qualified, Cork lost chanceless 4-0 in Finland :D So Irish hopes are entirely with Pats now. I never liked them a lot (strong rivalry with my favourites Shelbourne) but for the sake of Irish football I wish them well unless they would be playing against Rosenborg of course.

I am surprised Glentoran is out, their opponent was not the hardest nut to crack...

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Congrats St. Pat's!

Two late goals gave St Pat's the win versus Elfsborg, very well done, great performance!

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/fixturesresults/round=15283/match=303906/index.html

They've now drawn Hertha BSC from Berlin, a great trip for the fans! The match will be played at Tolka. They could've drawn AC Milan too, but this is probably the end of their European campaign anyway. Although I also didn't expect them to beat Elfsborg, so who knows...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts