Xtratime Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ireland win in style - 15/05/2002

The Republic of Ireland XI earned a comfortable 3-0 victory against Sunderland in Niall Quinn's testimonial though Roy Keane was a notable absentee.

The team captain is at Old Trafford receiving medical treatment on an injured hamstring according to the player's agent, though **** McCarthy hopes the player will arrive in Dublin today ahead of Thursday's encounter with Nigeria.

Despite the shock news of Keane's absence, the night belonged to Niall Quinn who appeared for both Sunderland and Ireland during the 90 minutes though he was unable to find the net himself.

**** McCarthy had promised the 40,000 fans who turned up to pay their respects to Niall Quinn (raising Stg£1 million in the process) that Ireland would treat the game as a competitive fixture, and the team did not let anyone down despite the manager fielding 21 players during the 90 minutes.

Mark Kennedy scored the opening goal after three minutes after some clever player by David Connolly and the Wimbledon striker got on the score sheet himself on the half hour when he curled a free kick past Macho's outstretched hand. As expected, McCarthy made a spate of changed at half time, with only Kennedy remaining on the pitch (though a number of players did reappear towards the end).

However, this failed to slow Ireland down as Kevin Kilbane scored from a Kennedy cross to make the score line 3-0. Teams: Sunderland: Macho (Ingham 46), Williams (James 63), Bjorklund (Craddock 23 [Clark 63]), Thome (Varga 57), Gray, Bellion, Thirlwell, McCann, Arca (McCartney 46), Quinn (Phillips 23 [Medina 46]), Knopper. Republic of Ireland: Given (Kiely 46), Finnan (Kelly 46), Staunton (Harte 46), Cunningham (Dunne 46), Breen (O'Brien 46), Carsley (Duff 46), Kennedy (Carsley 84), Kinsella (Holland 46), Morrison (Quinn 46 [Kilbane 60 {Connolly 84}]), Connolly (Keane 46), Kilbane (McAteer 46).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good old Quinny boy! :tongue: That would have been an awsome match, too bad he was on the loosing side... :howler: It was the same with Kelly in his. A loss... Oh well, I bet they had fun! Good on ya Niall! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was talking to Niall Quinn the other day.
I said "Niall, you're a hell of a player, you have skill and stamina. Some would say you have it all"
To which he heartily replied
"Im thinking of buying real estate in Mayo"
"Look Quinn. I was trying to be nice. Take your testimonial, and your hill-walking boots. Pack your bags and get the f**k out of my office."
To which he said
"And would he be a first cousin of yours?"

.....Thievin bollox

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Jesus. Quinn's a good footballer but I wouldn't take that either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.