• Draw

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keane is out of the WC is the luck of the Irish running out? This is probably the best Cameroonian team since Italy 90, watch out:fero:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yes, they are in great form. Winngin the African Cup of Nations and Winning the Olympics in 2000. This will be a tuff game, they drew against England and I am not too sure if it will be a draw or a win for us. I'm guessing Win but that's cause I"m biest. But over all it will be a very tough game.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Im not biased...but the father of my country was B O'Higgins ;)

Im going with Ireland //// When life gets tough...the tough get going !!!!

:eek: :cool: :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Ireland-Cameroon
Ireland - Cameroon | News Archive

Partners in crime...Mboma and Etoo (AP)
05/31/2002. BACKGROUND

Ireland's World Cup build-up has been nothing sort of shocking.

Their week's bonding and acclimatisation on the holiday island of Saipan proved to be one of the most nightmarish weeks any football squad has ever endured.

Though their time on Saipan was not supposed to be the most intense, one player in particular wasn't enamoured with how preparations were progressing, and within days, was flying home.

Since then, things have progressed much better with the remaining 22-man panel all pulling in the same direction.

It's Ireland's third World Cup, having reached the quarter-finals in 1990 and second round in 1994 under Jack Charlton.

Italia 90 saw draws against England, Egypt and the Netherlands, before a second round victory over Romania on penalties.

The wheels came off the green bandwagon with a slender 1-0 loss against hosts Italy at the Stadio Olimpico.

Despite beating the Azzuri at Giants Stadium four years later, USA 94 was not such a pleasant experience.

After that, the Irish lost to a poor Mexican side, drew with an even worse Norwegian outfit, before being knocked out by the Dutch.

Under Mick McCarthy's tenureship, Ireland went down to Belgium in the 1998 play-offs, but held off Portugal and the Netherlands in qualifying for this tournament before edging out Iran in the play-offs.

Cameroon are many people's dark horses to spring a real surprise in Japan and South Korea. There have been doubts as to whether they can raise their level against the big guns of European football but they answered many of their critics against England when they put in a commanding performance and were only denied victory by a late Robbie Fowler goal. It's always difficult to know exactly how much to read into friendly matches, but the signs were positive. They also came away unbeaten from matches against Argentina, Austria and denmark prior to that clash.

Sunday's match was the Indomitable Lions' 16 successive game without defeat and it is fair to say that the side are in better shape than ever before. Coach Winfried Schaefer has manufactured an air of confidence in the squad and actually labels his side 'the Bayern Munich of Africa'.

Their in no obvious weakness in this most settled of starting line-ups. Although not entirely convincing against England, goalkeeper Boukar Alioum has built himself a reputation as one of the most reliable keepers on the continent. Defensively they are easily the best African side around and have bags of experience in the likes of Rigobert Song, Raymond Kalla and the Chelsea-bound Geremi.

In midfield the technically gifted Lauren has had a superb season for double winning Arsenal, Marc-Vivien Foe has won the French title with Lyon, while Soloman Olembe and Pierre Wome complete a midfield full of pace and thrust.

In Patrick MBoma and Samuel Etoo, Cameroon have at their disposal two world-class attacking talents who, on their day, are capable of reeking havoc in even the most well-drilled defence. Mboma has made the spectacular goal his trademark over the last few seasons and it's fair to say that Sunderland haven't seen the best of him since his move from Parma. Etoo, meanwhile, is being chased by several of Europe's elite clubs, with his pace, skill and deadly finish again catching the eye in La Liga this season. His tendency to get involved in petty incidents my well count against him in the tournament though.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Ireland: Pre-tournament injury worries concerning Jason McAteer and Kevin Kilbane have largely cleared up, meaning the only main line of interest concerns Roy Keane's replacement.

The departure of the Irish skipper leaves a hole in midfield, meaning we may see the same central four that played against Iran in November.

Mark Kinsella had lost out in World Cup warm-up games, but should now ascend back into the starting 11.

Cameroon: Patrick Mboma should be fit despite carrying a foot injury this week. Otherwise Schaefer has a fully fit squad to choose from and can go with his first-choice starting line-up.

PROBABLE LINEUPS

Ireland- 4-4-2: Given; Finnan, Staunton, Cunningham, Harte, Holland, Kinsella, McAteer, Kilbane, Duff, Keane.

Cameroon- 4-4-2: Alioum; Kalla, Song, Tchato, Geremi, Lauren, Foe, Olembe, Wome, Mboma, Eto'o

WHO IS HOT

Ireland: Great things are expected of Damien Duff going into the tournament.

The Blackburn Rovers winger has only really blossomed in the past six months after being tried on the wing by Irish manager Mick McCarthy against Russia and Denmark, where he was a revelation.

Before this season, Duff's claim to fame was being part of the Irish Under-19 squad that made it to the semi-finals of the 1997 World Championships.

Now, he's a winner - having played in the Blackburn Rovers side that claimed the Worthington Cup in Cardiff in February.

According to Jack Charlton, Duff is the only world-class player left in the Irish World Cup squad.

An honourable mention too for Shay Given - voted in recent weeks as the best goalkeeper in the Premiership.

Cameroon: Samuel Etoo has the potential to be one of the stars of the tournament and could do some real damage against an Irish defence that's hardly bristling with pace. His partnership with Mboma is one of the best in the business and when the pair get into their stride they take some stopping.

WHO IS NOT

Ireland: Matt Holland has endured a horrendous season with Ipswich Town.

All campaign, the Tractor Boys battled against the unthinkable, only to slump 5-0 at Liverpool on the final day, suffering relegation from the premiership.

Laudably, Holland has not let his club problems affect hi at international level.

Cameroon: Difficult to pick a player who's under-performing in a side who are undefeated in their last 16 games. Goalkeeper Boukar Alioum, though, looked shaky against England and was lucky not to send his side in 2-1 down at the break after spilling a cross that led to Michael Owen firing into the roof of the net. Luckily for Alioum, Owen was offside.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS

Ireland and Cameroon have never met in a senior international before. This will be their first pairing.

soccerage

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After seing Senegal play today you have to consider Cameroon a serious threat not only to beat the Irish but for the whole tournament. They are better than Senegal and if they the Senegalese discipline and purpose then i have no doubt they will beat Ireland.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I think Cameroon will win this game, even if Keane was playing for the Irish they still wouldnt be good enough to beat them.
I agree Gabemar, Senegal would have to be considered the weakest team from Africa and they did a great job against France, so Cameroon who is a much better team should have no problems against Ireland.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I am lucky enough to live in Australia - where the all the gambling agencies have listed Cameroon as SECOND favourite to qualify from this group BEHIND Germany :howler:

Needless to say I've got some of my hard-earned on the African Champions to top the tree ;)

Allez l'equipe de Cameroon :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
NIIGATA, May 31 (DS) - WORLD CUP - 2002, Ireland v Cameroon: probable line-ups

Ireland: 1. Shay Given, 2. Steve Finnan, 3. Ian Harte, 5. Steve Staunton, 15. Richard Dunne, 7. Jason McAteer, 8. Matt Holland, 11. Kevin Kilbane, 12. Mark Kinsella, 9. Damien Duff, 10. Robbie Keane

Cameroon: 1. Alioum Boukar, 2. Bill Tchato, 4. Rigobert Song, 5. Raymond Kalla, 8. Geremi Njitap, 12. Lauren Etame Mayer, 17. Marc-Vivien Foe, 20. Salomon Olembe, 23. Ngom Kome Daniel, 9. Samuel Etoo, 10. Patrick Mboma

Stadium: Niigata
Referee: Toru Kamikawa (Japan)
Linesmen: Mat Lazim Awang Hamat (Malaysia) and Roland Van Nylen (Belgium)
Fourth official: Peter Prendergast (Jamaica)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
for some reasons, i think cameroon will surprise a lot of people...except south africa, i think senegal, cameroon, and nigeria will do well in the WC...

and yes, i think cameroon will win this game...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i think its cameroon they are the african champions and are doin very well in their recent matches..they along with nigeria wil do very well in the world cup and i hope they doo...

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well the game is starting now, four minutes in....
Cameroon pressing well, Ireland using long balls to get past the midfield....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Africa 2 Europe 0

Cameroon 2 Ireland 1

BTW I am watching the game right now on Univison and they aird the game 1:20 into the game. I dont know how many of you watch Univison World Cup coverage, but they simply suck. The Mexican announcer is a horrible play by play announcer. I miss listening to the eloquence and knowledge of Norberto Longo and Andres Cantor. Plus no one can match the way Andres Cantor says Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
After 40 minutes, goal

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Goal by Mboma, after good work on the right by Eto'o.

Cameroon leads 1-0.

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Another sweetly struck shot by Mboma that goes over.

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Rigobert SOng almost sliced a cross into his own goal. Close shave.:)

paw;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
nice assist by eto'o...he looked impressive in the first half...but ireland didn't really play as well as i expected...

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
1-0 HT.

Cameroon has been the better side even if the match was very boring for abou 30 minutes, then they too over after a Mboma goal. Ireland's 2 forwards haven't done anything yet, they might be too small compared to the likes of Kalla and Song, better play Quinn so tghey can do somethig on air balls. Cameroon are controlling the match and Roy Keane is missing in this game, but making some chances perhaps Ireland can chance the match a little, but hey wo 't get many goal chances for sure.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cameroon has looked clearly superior. Ireland will have to step up a notch or two if they want to compete. Unless they score a goal against the grain of play.:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts