Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At half time it was 1-0 for Cameroon on an M'Boma goal but Holland just scored on a great shot from outside the box to tie it up 1-1!!

AFter a dismal performance in the first half, Ireland came out flying in the second half and things are looking good right now!

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Game finished 1-1 and was pretty entertaining. Whatever McCarthy said at half time worked as Ireland came out strong and really dominated the first part of the second half.

There was a handball that wasn't called, although in all fairness to the ref, it was hard to spot. Keane hit the post with a rocket of a shot and Ireland finished off the last 5 minutes with good pressure.

All in all a fair result and a good game to watch.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Dublin, June 01 (DS) - WORLD CUP - 2002, Ireland 1 Cameroon 1: match summary

Ireland 1 - Matt Holland 52
Cameroon 1 - Patrick Mboma 39
Half time: 0-1
Stadium: Niigata
Referee: Toru Kamikawa (Japan)

Ireland: Shay Given, Gary Kelly, Steve Staunton, Ian Harte(Stephen Reid, 78), Gary Breen, Jason McAteer(Steve Finnan, 46), Matt Holland, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Kinsella, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane

Cameroon: Alioum Boukar, Raymond Kalla, Rigobert Song, Bill Tchato, Geremi Njitap, Pierrå Wome, Marc-Vivien Foe, Salomon Olembe, Lauren Etame Mayer, Samuel Etoo, Patrick Mboma(Patrick Suffo, 69)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well what a very interesting game. Certainly a game of two halves, with Cameroon ruling the first and Ireland dominating the second. Both goals were great, and a great atmosphere generated particularly thr Irish fans. Hope to see many more games like that :)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I know I have heard that before somewhere... ;)

What a match, it was awsome to watch. Cameroon kings of the 1 st half ans us kings of the 2nd. We should have won the game though in the 2nd half but **** happens. Give cameroon their credit, they played very well...

(Germany 4 nil up atm :eek: )

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was huddled in my basement at 2:30 in the mourning with my Ireland flag drapped around me and so nervious and excited I could have puked. Both sides started very cautiously, Cameroon started to to play their game before we did ours. But whether it was a talk from the coach or the inclusion of Finnan the Boys played like Ireland, aggressive fast attacking football, good control and shaky defence. ;) A good result and a fair result, both teams had a great chance to score and both team dominated during periods of play. Fun game to watch. Reid had a good game, great game from Holland. Roy who?

In the Germany game it will be key to start out as we did in the second half. We half to control the temp and run at them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
GooD Start!

Congratulations for a good first game from someone from the US forum. I've adopted you guys since you knocked out the Dutch, one of the teams I've pulled for since the early '70's. (played for a Dutch coach on my university team)

Unfortunate first goal against, but you played tougher as the game went on. I don't really know what Roy Who (good phrase Romire) would have added except some confidence early on. After the goal, you guys played very well.

Duff and Keane are tough, quick kids. Reid has a rocket shot!

Keep it up. Surprise the Germans! Breen better be ready for an aerial war! I think you'd better not give them the space and time the Saudis did.

BTW, what a horrible job of ref'ing. What were those ignorant yellow cards all about?

Best of Luck,

Oldplayer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts