Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ireland up for 'most entertaining' award - 27 June 2002

The Republic of Ireland have been short-listed among the elite final six nations for the prestigous FIFA ''Most Entertaining Team Award'' for the 2002 World Cup finals in Japan and South Korea.

Mick McCarthy's men are bracketed with Brazil, Germany, Turkey, Korea and Senegal from the 32 nations who started the finals back in Seoul on May 31. Now millions of voters around the globe have the opportunity of casting their votes for the winner on the FIFAworldcup.com website.

Fans will be asked to decide which team tickled them most, made them smile or most brightened up the month long tournament. Brazil were voted tops when the award was first contested in 1994 at the finals in USA.

That was when Romario and his men ended a 24 year World Cup famine when lifting the trophy after a penalty shootout victory over Italy in Pasadena - Brazil's fourth World Cup success. Four years later the award went to France after Zinedine Zidane's team united a nation with a memorable Gallic triumph.

The organisers of the competition are at pains to point out that the award does not necessarily go to the eventual winners - but to any of the final six nations who have been short-listed.

Five of Ireland's rivals for this award all reached the quarterfinals stages of the competition but obviously the panelists had in mind the fact that McCarthy's team did not lose any of their four games and provided drama and excitement in each of their encounters against Cameroon, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Spain.

--------------------

Well I'm sure that the Brazilians will win it :yuck: but its quite an honour. Well anyways come on lads vote for Eire and see how far we can go.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I voted! Let's bring the award to the boy's in Green!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We didn't win :( ,the S. Koreans won, I guess they just had more refs-I mean people voting for them. :tongue: Well at the least the Brazilians didn't win it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts