Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:happy: :happy: :happy:

The Republic of Ireland will play a game against Glasgow Celtic as part of their preparations for their World Cup qualifiers next summer.

The FAI announced today that the game against the current Scottish champions will take place in Glasgow on May 29.

The match will also form part of Jackie McNamara' testimonial celebrations.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That'll be a classic. Get your tickets early!!!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Who'll the fans be supporting?

Is McNamara going to be remembered as a Celtic great? Or is he just being rewarded for all that time he spent on the bench? Too many questions maybe, but you don't have to answer the first (probably not an answer anyway ;))

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would imagine Celtic fans will be supporting Celtic and ROI fans will be supporting La Republique.

Easy really

These end of season testimonials are a load of nonsense anyway. The only one that was ever interesting was Niall Quinn's sunderland one against a ROI selection pre World Cup 02. His Corkness did'nt bother his hole to show up. The start of the saipan disaster.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CELTIC captain Jackie McNamara is to donate a percentage of his testimonial earnings to Cancer Research, the disease which claimed his mother Linda's life.

Celtic will play the Republic of Ireland the day after the Scottish Cup Final in May and Aiden McGeady last night paid tribute to his skipper.

He said: 'Jackie will be vital to the team in the run-in. He can play anywhere and he's been in great form.

'It's a great help to me to have Jackie playing behind me. Every time you're free he gives you the ball and make s a lot of overlapping runs. Jackie might be wanted by a club in the US but I hope he doesn't go anywhere because he gives me a lot of advice on my game.'

McGeady doesn't know if he'll be playing alongside or against McNamara in the testimonial. He said: 'Ireland might be using the match as a warm-up for the World Cup qualifiers. But they may be using a friendly to experiment.

'It's typical of Jackie to give a chunk of his testimonial to such a worthy cause.'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts